1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RM files on IPAQ

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by maxpower, Jul 9, 2005.

1. maxpower

maxpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obtained some movies for pDA, but they are in avi format and will not play using Real Player PPC or TCPMP. Tried to covert to RM but even then they will not play. Any ideas how I can get around this. I do have some RM files but they only come up as a small image on the PDA and not big enough to watch, Why?????

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    For use on my XDA I encode AVI/MPEG's into WMV format using Windows Media Encoder from MS website (free download). Allows you to specify the outout size when you re-encode so you can get video correct size for your PDA screen.

Other bonus is that you don't need other apps to watch video just built-in Win Media Player.

I find 30 mins of video normally takes up about 45mb

3. maxpower

maxpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uridium
    Thanx that sounds really useful. Ill give it a try tonite, is there anything else I should know about in using the program
    :D

4. maxpower

maxpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uridium
    Have converted avi as sugested using the W M encoder, but I find the resultant file will play on Media Player on my Pocket PC (Ipaq) but the image is only half size and more importantly I cannot get any sound. If I play it in M Player on my PC its fine, the problem is only when Ive copied it to my IPAQ. Have you any ideas where I may be going wrong?
    Regards :thumbsdow

5. maxpower

maxpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to the above I have got the size of image ok, but I still cant get any sound. Am I missing something, its driving me mad.
    Can anyone confirm whether avi,s can or cant be be played on Real Player for PPC. as the guy I know is adament that they can, but I cant get them to work.

6. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Never had that problem myself but it sounds like the AVI may have an unusual audio codec (xvid/Divx/dolby 5.1 etc..), this may be one that your PC has installed but not your pocket PC (Media Player on PC downloads codecs as an when it needs to)

Can't remember WMV encoder properties but it's probably worth checking in the options to see if there is one to convert the audio back to a standard codec?

7. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,937
    No they don't.
    Why not grab betaplayer from here I have it on my iPaqh5550 and it works a treat. :smashin:

8. maxpower

maxpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats interesting, I got some movies off this guy on an auction site E** and they were supposed to play on RP1 PPC and he was really rude when I said they did not play.
    I have tried the beta player and they did not work on that either so I think he had cocked up the files when he converted them and he only tested them on RPlayer on a pc (where they do work).
    I have at last succesfully conerted a couple of them using windows media encoder (it was a bit trial and error) but got there in the end
    Thanx to all who replied.

9. maxpower

maxpower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im back to square one with this, I still have rm files that I cant watch on my Ipaq. I have tried RealPlayer PPC, Media Player 9, BetaPlayer and none of them work. I have even tried converting them with Media Encoder but that does not recognise them either. Im really stumped.