RJ45 for Cat 6

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by rs6mra, Jan 10, 2012.

1. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Guys,
    What RJ45 connectors (8P8C) can you guys recommend for Cat 6 cabling that is not too fiddly? I have been using the ones from Maplin that come in 3 parts and it has been a case of hit/miss and i have also now changed the crimp tool.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
  3. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Not ideal for my requirements considering was given 250m of Cat 6

4. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    What type of cable, solid or stranded cores? If solid then buy some modules and faceplates with IDCs and terminate onto them, then buy a couple of short patch leads. If it's stranded then continue your search for plugs.

5. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The cable type is solid but i need to terminate them with the RJ45 more importantly at the point where they are connected to the switches. Connecting to faceplates is no issue at all. Having done some research it seems imperative that the right RJ45s are used.

6. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I don't fully understand your reply. Why do you have to use RJ45s? The usual and proper way of terminating solid core cable is to use IDCs and they come on faceplates/modules. You can use plugs but it's not preferred. IDCs are much easier than plugs too.

To complete the 'system' as a Catx then all the parts within it need to be Catx, but then you'll also need to test it properly to that Catx standard - and not with a cheap continuity tester but a proper Catx tester. This won;t really matter in the home though. So yes, you should be looking for Cat6 plugs/modules, but Cat5E plugs/modules will work fine Cat6 cable for 1Gb Ethernet to 100m.

Are you using the Cat6 for Ethernet or 'HDMI over Cat6'?

7. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have to use RJ45 where I connect the cable to the switch and at the other end where another 2 connecting points will be going straight into the devices instead of faceplates and then using a short patch cable. 2 other points will however be going into faceplates on the other side of the room.

I am using Cat 6 for ethernet and intend I am considering HDMI over Cat 6 to the attic.
    I hope this helps explain what i am trying to achive.

8. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Not really :) why do you have to connect to the switch directly from the cable with an RJ45 plug; why can you not terminate the cable into a faceplate/module and then use a patch lead to the switch? Same question for the other ends.

To complicate matters, when using HDMI over Catx, the experts (in the Cat5 sub forum) say that it's best to wire straight to plugs to limit the number of joints, which may harm distance on the conversion.

9. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think i am probably confused but going back to your first paragraph, what other way would I be able to connect to a switch without first terminating the cable at least at the other end with an RJ45 that would go straight into the switch? As far as I can see only an RJ45 can go into the switch and nothing else.

In relation to HDMI over Cat6, when I get round to doing it, my intention is to connect/wire to the plugs.

Maybe a diagram or pic if you can would say a thousand words?

10. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Hmm, I did write a reply but then the site stopped working...

I can't find a complete picture.

In brief:

PC <---patchlead---> module/faceplate <-----cable run out-----> module/faceplate/patchpanel <---patchlead---> switch/router port

Module, patch panel, patch lead links. Cheaper are available but I had screwfix open already.

For small numbers of cables module/faceplates can be used at both ends, lots of cables may benefit from a patch panel.

11. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    cheers