RJ11 Telephone Connection on Back of SkyHD box Question

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have a question for someone in the technical know how or someone who has tried this.

But I have just got a skyHD box today and it has become clear that we need to have the telephone line connected to the box.

Now the box has a RJ11 DSL type telephone connector on the back which inside the box it has a converter cable of DSL RJ11 on one end to standard telephone slot connector on the other.

Now at the moment we have a 30m extension cable which has a female standard telephone connector going downstairs to an adapter using two phone sockets on the one.

This however seems to be no longer working.

So my question is that as we have broadband in our house, and thus has microfilters on every phone connection. Thus downstairs on our telephone we have a microfilter, splitting one DSL RJ11 connector (unused), and one standard connector that our phone and adapter is connected.

Could I therefore buy a 30m RJ11 cable and connect this to the back of skyhd box and then connect this downstairs into the free DSL modem microfiler connector at the main phone point.

Here is the RJ11 DSL type connector cable that I am referring to that is on the back of the skyhd box

And here is a microfilter similar to what I have on the main phone line

Thanks
Anthony

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
The RJ11 socket on a filter is Data only. You will also find that many standard modem cables which are RJ11 one end and BT the other also do not work with SKY boxes.

CaffeineJunkie

You will have to connect the cable to the RJ11 port on the Sky box, and the phone socket on the microfilter.

You cannot connect it to the modem socket on the microfilter as that is only for connection to an ADSL modem.

Every unit connected to a phone system that is ADSL enabled must be connected to a microfilter.

If you already have a phone connected to the microfilter then you have two choices. Connect the sky box to a different microfilter, or plug the two cables into the microfilter with an adapter.

EDIT: Andy beat me to it.

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
says who?, did you buy it without going through sky?
Because the setup process to assign my old viewing card to the new HD box, which has been the biggest pain in the backside I have ever imagined, which according to sky when assigning the card I need to do a callback via the HD machine to set the card.

You can only do this via the telephone line, which because I had problems with it has caused a whole host of problems and is still not working after 4.1/2 hours. :(

Barthez

Because the setup process to assign my old viewing card to the new HD box, which has been the biggest pain in the backside I have ever imagined, which according to sky when assigning the card I need to do a callback via the HD machine to set the card.

You can only do this via the telephone line, which because I had problems with it has caused a whole host of problems and is still not working after 4.1/2 hours. :(

see the 'where to get sky hd' box thread below this one as i a am in the same predicament with no phone line.

have you tried calling another CS person and telling them to do it over the air which can be done.

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
see the 'where to get sky hd' box thread below this one as i a am in the same predicament with no phone line.

have you tried calling another CS person and telling them to do it over the air which can be done.

I have phoned twice, I needed to constantly run upstairs (our telephone is downstairs, and Sky box is in the bedroom).

I needed to give them my Model number, Serial Number, and other numbers.

After all this and likely a phone bill of around £5 I get told I must to do a callback. I said I did not have a phone line connected I then got the "you must have a phone line connected", and that I must do a call back as I can not do the call back whilst on the telephone".

Callback failed with my extension cable. Tried phoning sky back. Model Number, Serial number, Viewing card number needed to be given all over again.

And was told an email would be sent to a superuser. This is now 5 hours ago and still wont work.

Barthez

I have phoned twice, I needed to constantly run upstairs (our telephone is downstairs, and Sky box is in the bedroom).

I needed to give them my Model number, Serial Number, and other numbers.

After all this and likely a phone bill of around £5 I get told I must to do a callback. I said I did not have a phone line connected I then got the "you must have a phone line connected", and that I must do a call back as I can not do the call back whilst on the telephone".

Callback failed with my extension cable. Tried phoning sky back. Model Number, Serial number, Viewing card number needed to be given all over again.

And was told an email would be sent to a superuser. This is now 5 hours ago and still wont work.

did you get it sorted mate, did they do the call back without the phone line.i.e-over the air?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom