1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek media on E60

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jules, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I've been burning loads of discs on my PC and on the E60 without any problem until recently.
    The cheaper discs like Datawrite reds & yellows and Bulkpaq Orange still burn flawlessly in both.

But I recently bought some Ritek G03 discs and they create errors on the E60 and the recording fails. The same discs are ok on the PC though.

I thought Ritek were supposed to be the best. But they obviously don't work in the Panasonic.
    I think I'm going to stick with Datawrite reds & yellows as they're cheap and work well.

What's all the fuss with Ritek...over-rated?

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ritek discs work perefectly in my E50

3. fozzybear

fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that when I tried some Ritek 2x discs in my E50 they didn't work (failed during recording) but worked fine in my Panny PC burner. I tried some again a little while ago (from the same set of discs that I'd tried before) and they worked ok. I bought a new load of these (the new style ones with black text) and now I've burnt about 7-8 in a row with no problems.

Not sure what all that means, but if you definitely can't record to the riteks then you'll just have to find an alternative disc to use - if they don't work then that's it really, not a lot you can do about it.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have long given up using Ritek for my E20/E30 machines. They are unpredictable and highly overated in my oppinion. Just avoid them they are not worth the hassle.

There are are alternatives out there.....Currently I am using Memorex or verbatim.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It can change from batch to batch, one works the next doesn't, even withinbatches. I had 4 discs in a row in a batch of 50 that failed, the rest were fine.

If your failures are at start of recording, it is worth putting a title on the disc before you start. If the media will take a title they will normally work for a timer recording, as the failure is in the first 30 seconds when they try to start writing.
    Indeed most media will eventuallywork if tried several times, and ensure they are scrupulously clean as a fleck of dust that does not spin off when the drive starts is enough to cause a failure.

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am afraid the above just does not work with the unpredictability of Ritek and the Panny machines.

I have had Ritek discs even after that test that will record for about 20 minutes or so and then the machine sort of stops recording but imediately starts a new menu. Both menues play when finished but of course there are several second lost while the machine was faffing about with the Ritek disc. This is not good news if you are recording a musical number.

Ritek are a blessed nightmare on some Pannies. They are just not worth the hassle while there are far far better compatible DVD-R media out there. They may record ok but they also have a habit of stuttering on other machines. I have had enough of them. As i said. Just not worth the hassle.