• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ritek GO5 Media

P

pinatubo

I have just switched over to GO5 dye disks from the GO4 dye disks and have noticed severe problems which did not orrur with the GO4 disks.Nero scandisk shows bad regions of around 40%.
Has anyone else had problems with GO5 - the disk ID is just RitekGO5 ,no other info available.
Burners in use are an LG 4163B firmware A101,LG 4163B with firmware A104 and a Pioneer 420H standalone DVD recorder.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I had no problems with the old G04 dye but had lots of problems with the G05 and so switched to ones which used the Taiyo Yuden dye and that is so far so good :thumbsup:

RoNaLdiNhO

Established Member
just keep on buying g04s lots of places still sell them i bought 150 the other week. Never had 1 bad burn with them which i cant really belive since people tell me all the time they have lots of coasters with big brand names verb/sony etc.

xxxx

Established Member
anna the dub said:
I use G05 on my Pio 630 and on my computer burner Pio 104. I have not had one single coaster. Found them to be excellent.
Ditto, with a Pioneer 104 and a 110

Perhaps those who are having trouble haven't updated their firmware?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I think my problem is that it's an old Sony DVD drive in my PC and so it can only cope with certain speeds and Dyes. I haven't tried any of the G05 DVDs with my newer LG drive yet though.

ROYOLD

Prominent Member
I exchanged a spindle of Ritek G05 DVD-R for Datawrite Yellow DVD-R with SVP. That was because the first Ritek I tried in Panasonic E85 caused machine to go into continuous "self check". That was it. Didn't try any others. Since then have used Ridisc printable and the good old Datawrite Yellow which never fail in any of my Panasonics & JVC dvd recorders.

SVP agreed the swap with no problem and I received a few extra Datawrite discs to cover price differential. No postage charge.

A

ady1

pinatubo said:
I have just switched over to GO5 dye disks from the GO4 dye disks and have noticed severe problems which did not orrur with the GO4 disks.Nero scandisk shows bad regions of around 40%.
Has anyone else had problems with GO5 - the disk ID is just RitekGO5 ,no other info available.
Burners in use are an LG 4163B firmware A101,LG 4163B with firmware A104 and a Pioneer 420H standalone DVD recorder.

I had a sony writer in my pc which worked ok for G04 riteks but gave errors on G05's i have since upgraded to an NEC 4550 and haven't had a coaster since 150+ G05's

P

pinatubo

I have replaced the first batch of Ritek GO5s with a second batch of GO5s from Arita.The second batch don't work correctly either even though ,unlike the original Riteks which had visible flaws on the disks,apeared to be flawless.

I will check out the firmware issue as mentioned but as far a I am aware the firmware updates for the LGs only addressed double layer writing.

anna the dub

Established Member
pinatubo said:
I have replaced the first batch of Ritek GO5s with a second batch of GO5s from Arita.

I could be wrong here, but I thought that Arita were overprints or 2nd/3rd Grade media. I read somewhere online (for the life of me cannot remember where) that I should avoid Arita like the plague. I only use Ridisc Xtreme and Maxell G05.

pjclark1

Prominent Member
They may degrade within 3 months, I wouldn't store anything on G05
(that I wanted to keep)

MartinImber

Established Member
Maxell use G05????

G05 seem OK I have had 2 blow - but once burnt are OK

P

pinatubo

I found some information on Arita dvd-rs on the decrecordable website - unfortunately the info was 2 years old so is probably out of date.

They burn OK on my works LG4040 but only at 2X.
Can't use them at High Speed on my Pioneer 420(D107 drive) but will burn without errors at 1X.

I think I'll take this lot back and request a refund.

I've never had problems like this before.

anna the dub

Established Member
MartinImber said:
Maxell use G05????

G05 seem OK I have had 2 blow - but once burnt are OK

Well, the ones I have are G05, so I presume they all do. Very good quality disc, have had no problems with them whatsoever.

pjclark1

Prominent Member
Try and copy them next year, you'll be sorry!

MartinImber

Established Member
My G04s seem fine. Haven't had a G05 long enough yet

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom