1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RITEK DVD-R disc question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 1439nick, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 1439nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    As i stated in the previous thread about 8 speed media on the panasonic 95, i am currently using ritek -r x8 (g05) from bigpockets.co.uk. I have found them to be fairly reliable as i believed they are recommended discs using a deep purple ritek dye.

However having visited:

which was posted on another thread on this forum, Ritek -r discs are in both the 2nd class catogery, but they also appear in the 4th Class (leave well alone) catogery, alongside Piodata. Can anyone please explain the difference please or how to identify which are the crap ones?

Also i have taken the advice of a previous postings that recommends sticking with a disc that works for you. Ritek g05 work for me now, but i don't want to discover a year down the line that they don't work anymore...... i would pay a little more for a longer life span if anyone can recommend a brand and where to purchase.
  2. redsox_mark

Oct 20, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bath, England
    It is the media ID which is important. On that site, the items in CAPS are the Media ID, the small letters the manufacturer. So it says that the ones with an ID of RITEK are generally good. It seems Ritek (and another company) created some discs to Piodata with a PIODATA ID, these are bad... If you buy from blankdiscshop they quote the IDs, so you can use this as a guide.

I use TYG02 discs (Verbatim pastels) which are listed as First Class. Not sure if they will last any longer or if they are better than Ritek, but I've had 100% success so far.