1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Risk of harm to amp?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Arif, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've got a Yahama DSPAX757SE connected to an SVS 25-31 PC+ (which ROCKS, by the way!! :) ).

As with many set-ups - one has the option of simply turning the sub off at its own switch - for example when the Mrs is watching normal TV, type thing ("Too boomy!"). And before anyone covers this point - I am happy with how it's been calibrated; Crossover is at 80Hz, and gain is just right for when you want it (movie) - and the sub does essentially 'disappear' for most of the time, and only kick in or become noticed once something happens below 80Hz - but even a door slamming then on TV, constitutes 'too much bass'!!

So - rather than setting the risky precedent of allowing her to fiddle with any of the knobs on the SVS' amp-plate (plus access to and visibility of this is restricted) - I find it much easier to show her where the sub's main switch is. And nor do I want to go down the route of telling the amp that there's no sub attached - cos that's not really convenient.

However - I seem to recall from long ago - that when an amplifier circuit is outputting a signal - one MUST ensure that there is a 'load' at the other end. A signal output to a free-ended cable will harm the amp/transistors.

1) Is this true?
    2) Would it be true of the tiny 'pre-out' signal - as is the case for the subwoofer (4volts)?
    3) Is it possible that the sub itself will 'manage' the end of the cable, even when the unit is switched off, in such a way as to keep it 'loaded'? (Although I know that Erik at SVS would technically be the best person to find this last point out from)

Bit of a funny query - but I hope that you get the gist!!

Thanks in advance people,

Arif

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The load will be there, switched on or not, but it doesn't matter anyway. Transistor circuits in the main don't mind no-load, but don't like overloads or shorts. I switch off the woofer all the time on my Yamaha RXV-1500 (and previously on the RX-V640RDS) with no problems at all.

3. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent!

Thanks Nick.