1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rise of Nations problem with ZoneAlarm

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by t-force, Aug 16, 2004.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Can anyone help me with this?

I've just had the urge to get playing Rise of Nations again, but whenever I try to go online within the game (searching for multiplayer servers, checking for updates etc.) it just hangs. Now I'm 90% certain that it has something to do with ZoneAlarm, as if I disable it, the game works without any problems. I've told ZoneAlarm to allow the game to access the internet, as well as act as a server, but to no avail. The music keeps playing, and the pointer moves, but the background freezes, and the menus disappear.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Toby

2. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you upgraded ZA recently? I upgraded from ZA 4.5 to both versions of 5.0 and ended up reinstalling 4.5. (winmx kept crashing). I think ZA 5.1 is out but don't know if it is as stable as 4.5.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,536
    How do you do that? I have to disable it to access a radio station on the net.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Go to the advanced options of ZA and you should be able to find a list of apps with ticks and crosses next to them. Put a tick in it to allow it to use the internet.

You might want to check that you don't have any other related exe's to Rise of Nations. I had the same problem with EVE and found that there was a seperate exe for the actual game as compared to the launcher.

5. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I've got it sorted now. Sinzer's along the right lines - I'd given the wrong file access to the Internet, and when the game itself tried to access, the permission tab was being hidden by the game. Funnily enough, when I changed the game resolution, the permission tab was visible, so I could grant permission, and now I've got no problems (apart from being extremely rusty - I think some single player action is required before I properly raise my online head).

Thanks for your input.

BTW, Garrett, what station are you trying to access, and with which piece of software? When I use ZA, whenever I use a piece of software to access the net that it hasn't seen before, it asks me whether I want to grant access, and it can remember that decision for future reference as well, which is extremely useful.