Ripspeed PSR-135A Subwoofer - any good?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by wonderloaf, Jan 15, 2008.

1. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think the title says it all...just upgraded my front speakers to Infinity 6" components, and although the improvement is vast still lack some low end grunt, so was thinking of getting one of these from Halfords to supplement them in the bass department, can anyone give an opinion? I'm not looking to wake the neighbours or anything so don't want to go to the hassle of a boot mounted sub, this looks good as it can go under my seat.

Also this subwoofer comes with a remote, but would like to know if it can be controlled from the HU, my Sony has this ability, any opinions or info gratefully accepted.

Cheers, wonderloaf

2. twe

twe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    no idea about this subwoofer, but Halfords have 10% off until 28th Jan if you want it....

Let me know though if you get it and how good it is....

Maybe they can show you it instore?

3. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Been doing some searching and have found that the Ripspeed looks spookily similar to the Mutant MT5AS, altough seems lower on power. I'm a bit concerned at the 5" speaker size (if it is the same as the Mutant), can't see how that can create the low frequencies, so am currently considering something like the Alipne SWE-1000, which has a 8" speaker although it is more expensive.. Think there are also some other offerings by Pioneer, Kenwwod etc as well.

But before I decide I'm going to have to fix the leak which I found yetserday in the roof of my car, so bang goes the sub budget for a while....:rolleyes:

If you happen to get a listen to the Ripspeed or any other compact subs I''l be glad to hear your opinions.

Cheers, wonderloaf

4. twe

twe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i was tempted to purchase one and put it aside when i buy a new car... but didn't go ahead with it.... probably will just do the same as you and buy a proper named sub like Clarion or something....

I got some leaks as well, you don't have a Smart Roadster like me do you!

5. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No, we've got a 206cc, the leak is through the rubber seal above the door (think there may be a small split) and it may cost a few hundred pound to fix :eek: Hopefully I've found a cheap fix, used some 'Damp Start' ignition spray sealant from Halfords, sprayed it into the roof cavity and hopefully it's found it's way into the leak and sealed it....I'll find out tonight as it's predicted it's going to rain, so I've got everything crossed it'll be alright :lease:

BTW, did some research on the Clarion and a couple of forum postings didn't rate it, think I'm going for the Alpine or the Pioneer WX22A, or maybe the Blaupunkt THB 200A..all 8" speakers.

6. rellik666

rellik666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've just bought one of these. its spot on. great sound for such a small unit! its not thumpy bangy like boy racers cars, it adds subtle depth to your bass, but can be raised to a slight thumpy bangy when needed! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. littleman365

littleman365
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know where the blue,yellow and black wires connect from this amp as i took it out my old car in a hurry and cannot find a manual to install in my new car:lease: