Rips Quieter than Original CD

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Mattan, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ripped all my CDs to MP3 (VBR -v2 setting in EAC/LAME) and a few to FLAC. Playing these back on my Sonos Play:3 and Revo Mondo wi-fi (into amp & speakers) seem a lot quieter than playing the original CD on either a separates CD (in to same amp/speakers) or an old panasonic stereo.

Is there any reason they would be quieter? I've also noticed more distortion on the MP3s and FLAC files at higher volumes. Is there anything I can do to maintain the original volume?

2. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    They may be distorting due to clipping at the preamp stage. Run replaygain and see if it helps

3. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming I can do this against the existing MP3s rather than re-ripping the CDs again and would need to use a separate utility - i.e. not EAC??

4. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Hmm, something not quite right. You have checked the Revo Mondo digital volume control is at max?

5. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - the volume is set to max. TBH, I don't think it makes any difference so had assumed it was used for the headphone jack.

6. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used replaygain in foobar2000, then queued up original mp3 modified mp3 and flac file on pc. The modified file seemed quieter on the pc! Will need to try this on the Sonos when I've a bit more time.

Is it possible EAC reduced the volume when ripping? The normalize settting is off. Would dbpoweramp be any better?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    The article goes into some length as to the hardware differences between the various music file storage devices, but absolutely no mention of what the playback device was, ie the thing that actually produces the digital music stream, via a codec, from the digital data that is contained in the music files, which then gets passed to the DAC (and onto the analogue amplifier). In particular the software/firmware used and exactly how it could be influenced by the various devices it was being used to obtain the files from, eg, the effects of buffering playback, how it handles dropouts due to (poor) network connectivity and/or setup, possible RFI noise from the storage devices if they were close by and any number of unaccounted for variables that one could think up. In other words, absolute twaddle.

9. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The section, "The System" describes the DAC/amp/speakers etc. they were using for playback.

Still need to work out why my rips are quieter than the original CD. I'll try a selection of CDs and see if it's 'universal' across the collection ...

10. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    Is it simply that your CD player has a higher output than your SONOS? I think the minimal value for a CD player is around 2V RMS (same as your SONOS) but some CD players have a much higher output.

I really wouldn't worry about it - just turn up the volume (gain) until your music is playing at the desired level.

11. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's possible. For the 'closest' test, I'm using the revo mondo connected to the amp, so not using the sonos for the tests. I used dbpoweramp this morning to re-rip the CD (VBR -v1 on LAME). Same result. The music is quieter than the and doesn't seem as detailed either. I wouldn't suggest I've got sensitive hearing - I can easily tell the difference between the two.

12. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking it's the revo/sonos that are producing a lower volume, rather than the ripping itself as a MP3 download from Amazon exhibited the same lower volume. Looks like I'll just have to push the volume up a bit more!

13. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but why rip to MP3 unless you need a "portable" version?

The degradation in quality from lossless FLAC to lossy MP3 is very often audible, especially if you opt for a bit rate below 320kbps.

Hard drive space is so cheap there's really no reason for a "house" system to use MP3.

Typically, I rip to lossless, then convert this to lossless FLAC for my Sonos, then make a lossy copy (using a batch-processing utility I bought) for my phone.

14. Mattan

Mattan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ripped to mp3 before having the Sonos and the revo doesn't support flac. I'll rip to flac when I muster enough energy to do so!

Tbh, I can't hear much difference between the flac and mp3 vbr I've got!