Ripping Vinyl

DJ Dave

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

Was after some advice and opinions on ripping vinyl please.

I have 2 Technics SL1200 Mk2's and am looking to rip some vinyl to Wav form for mixing on digital decks etc. I have a new Mastersounds 2 valve mixer that has a RCA record out.

What is the best method to get decent quality recordings? I have tried recording straight to USB from a Pioneer controller, but the recording was good, but there was room for improvement.

Can anyone help please?

My first response would be to get a Rega Fono A2D (c.£50 second hand), plug one of the SL1200's into it (assuming MM cartridge), plug the A2D into the PC/Laptop USB and use the Free Audacity software to digitise. The A2D has a "volume" control so you can balance the turntable/A2D output to the USB input signal to get a nice clean one for digitising ensuring limited/no clipping.

The ball ache is then dividing it up into tracks (from two sides), de-click/pop/rumble (all can be done in software) and then renaming the tracks from a database and then adding the cover art if you need it. All very possible but takes a little time, but you will have plenty of that whilst you are digitising the next side !

Hope this give you a starter for ten.

But of course all the clicking / pops / rumbles come free with vinyl, so by trying to remove them,, you are robbing yourself of the essential vinyl experience...said only slightly in jest.

The ball ache is then dividing it up into tracks (from two sides), de-click/pop/rumble (all can be done in software) and then renaming the tracks from a database and then adding the cover art if you need it. All very possible but takes a little time, but you will have plenty of that whilst you are digitising the next side !

Someone has kindly lent me a Korg DAC 10 R which is nice. (nicer still now it's dropped by £100)
And I've bought an Art Phono Plus. a lot cheaper, haven't tried it much yet, but seems OK.
Ugg's paragraph (above) sums up the real time-consuming hassle that is (necessarily) involved though.

Hi

I have 2 Technics SL1200 Mk2's and am looking to rip some vinyl to Wav form for mixing on digital decks etc. I have a new Mastersounds 2 valve mixer that has a RCA record out.

What is the best method to get decent quality recordings? I have tried recording straight to USB from a Pioneer controller, but the recording was good, but there was room for improvement.

Can anyone help please?
What are you recording to? Computers? Desktop or Laptop? Pad/Tablet? Digital Recorder? Or Other?

Next, what do you have for an Amp?

Can we reasonably assume you have a Phono Equalization Amp? Built into your Amp? A stand alone device? Built into your Turntable? Other?

What is a "Pioneer Controller" that it lets you record USB? Details?

How much money do you have to spend?

Is this your mixer, Mastersound RADIUS 2 Valve? -

That is a LOT of money to dump into a 2-channel Mixer (£1500).

When you used the Mastersound Value Mixer, did you alter the Tone on any way? For a precise recording the Tone should be FLAT so it doesn't color the music.

Mackie Big Knob Studio USB Audio Interface/Mixer/Pre-Amp - £161 -

This is a Bi-Directional (simultaneous Record/Playback) USB (24b/96k) Audio Interface. Two independent Headphone Amps. Can Drive two separate Studio Monitors. Has analog inputs and outputs.

Although the Gear4Music Site says 24b/96k, the MACKIE Website say 24b/192k USB.

"Big Knob Studio ... I/O = 3x2 ... USB I/O = 2X2 ... 192khz/24b ..."

Again, I don't have a full picture of your setup, so it is hard to comment on what you have or what you need, but the Mackie Big Knob Studio is pretty good, and reasonably priced.

Here is a review, though there are many others on YouTube -

The Mackie also comes with Computer (WIN) Audio Recording/Editing Software.

And somewhere you will need a Phono Equalization Pre-Amp to make the Turntable sound right. This can be done in Software in some Audio Recording Programs, but I would trust a real Phono Equalization Pre-Amp as the Turntable signals are very small.

Steve/bluewizard

I used a ProJect Phono USB-V but wouldn't recommend it. The ADC was fine but the phono preamp stage poor

What are you recording to? Computers? Desktop or Laptop? Pad/Tablet? Digital Recorder? Or Other?

Next, what do you have for an Amp?

Can we reasonably assume you have a Phono Equalization Amp? Built into your Amp? A stand alone device? Built into your Turntable? Other?

What is a "Pioneer Controller" that it lets you record USB? Details?

How much money do you have to spend?

Is this your mixer, Mastersound RADIUS 2 Valve? -

That is a LOT of money to dump into a 2-channel Mixer (£1500).

When you used the Mastersound Value Mixer, did you alter the Tone on any way? For a precise recording the Tone should be FLAT so it doesn't color the music.

Mackie Big Knob Studio USB Audio Interface/Mixer/Pre-Amp - £161 -

This is a Bi-Directional (simultaneous Record/Playback) USB (24b/96k) Audio Interface. Two independent Headphone Amps. Can Drive two separate Studio Monitors. Has analog inputs and outputs.

Although the Gear4Music Site says 24b/96k, the MACKIE Website say 24b/192k USB.

"Big Knob Studio ... I/O = 3x2 ... USB I/O = 2X2 ... 192khz/24b ..."

Again, I don't have a full picture of your setup, so it is hard to comment on what you have or what you need, but the Mackie Big Knob Studio is pretty good, and reasonably priced.

Here is a review, though there are many others on YouTube -

The Mackie also comes with Computer (WIN) Audio Recording/Editing Software.

And somewhere you will need a Phono Equalization Pre-Amp to make the Turntable sound right. This can be done in Software in some Audio Recording Programs, but I would trust a real Phono Equalization Pre-Amp as the Turntable signals are very small.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve

Using Rokit monitors at the moment, but they are average for a mixer of that calibre. I am in the process of getting an amp and some hifi speakers, probably something like a NAD 3020 amp, not sure which speakers yet. Yes the mixer is the Radius 2 valve. It has 3 band EQ which would remain at neutral for any recordings.

I want to record to digital Wav with the file eventually going on to a USB stick to enable digital play with a Pioneer CDJ deck.

A lot of people seem to use those Tascam recorders, but I am not familiar with them.

Can spend up to £400-£500. Regarding the question what am I recording to - that's the question I am asking really.

My first response would be to get a Rega Fono A2D (c.£50 second hand), plug one of the SL1200's into it (assuming MM cartridge), plug the A2D into the PC/Laptop USB and use the Free Audacity software to digitise. The A2D has a "volume" control so you can balance the turntable/A2D output to the USB input signal to get a nice clean one for digitising ensuring limited/no clipping.

Very useful thanks.

Have so many tracks that are not downloadable, and it was a massive ball ache recording a few tracks straight to USB on a Pioneer XDJ RX2 controller (which I have since sold). Even doing a straight record you then have to load the file to Rekordbox software, then rename it, then add the artist name and name of the track in the software, genre etc.

Can spend up to £400-£500. Regarding the question what am I recording to - that's the question I am asking really.

There is a difference between what we record through, and what we record to.

What is the ultimate destination of the music, were will bit be stored, saved, and edited.

So, you have the KRK Rokit Studio Monitors, and you have the Mastersound Radius 2 Valve Mixer, a couple of Mics, and what else? I'm trying to get the bigger picture. What is the Pioneer devices you are using?

Steve/bluewizard

Very useful thanks.

Have so many tracks that are not downloadable, and it was a massive ball ache recording a few tracks straight to USB on a Pioneer XDJ RX2 controller (which I have since sold). Even doing a straight record you then have to load the file to Rekordbox software, then rename it, then add the artist name and name of the track in the software, genre etc.
That is the huge problem with analogue. You would have exactly the same problems with scanning your old photographs. Even if you ignored optimisation of contrast and white balancing , just loading the slides and typing in their names takes stamina
What I did ,with the very few analogue audio I digitised,was to put on the record and record the entire side as a single file , label it say tubular bells side 1 and then repeat for the other side. As many people will say, an LP was always intended to be played in a sequence. Think of it as a 6track playlist. Life is too short to spend 6 minutes typing in the metadata for a 3 minute song.

I just record straight into a DAW, cut it up using that and label the parts in my DAW and then export the tracks. Chain is SL1210M5G with ortofon 2m bronze -> Yamaha A-S2100 (includes a decent phono preamp and rec-outs) -> RME UFX studio audio interface -> Ableton Live.

In the past I used to do the same using my NI Audio 10 DJ audio interface (Part of my NI tractor digital vinyl rig that used timecoded vinyl so you can mix digital media using your decks as controllers). While not as good as the current chain (mainly due to a decent hi-fi cartridge rather than the ortofon electro I use used to use for DJing, but good phono pre-amp and audio capture helps too), still got perfectly good results for doing a set.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I am only recording 12" singles, but they are mainly US House and US Garage which you don't find on the downloadable sites. I would rather swallow £1.50 per download, but I have a lot of tracks that are not available. I have never used any of these audio interfaces and am finding the actual use of them quite confusing. There is such an array of stuff out there, it makes your head spin.

There is a difference between what we record through, and what we record to.

What is the ultimate destination of the music, were will bit be stored, saved, and edited.

So, you have the KRK Rokit Studio Monitors, and you have the Mastersound Radius 2 Valve Mixer, a couple of Mics, and what else? I'm trying to get the bigger picture. What is the Pioneer devices you are using?

Steve/bluewizard
I don't use mics.

Keeping it simple, I have 2 Technics SL1200 Mk2's (they have Ortofon concorde Mix Mk2 needles), 2 Pioneer XDJ 1000 Mk 2's, a Mastersounds Radius 2 valve mixer and Rokit monitors which are going to be sold as they are no match for this gear.

I am in the process of getting an amp and some speakers instead of some monitors - I have decided that this would sound more enjoyable through decent Hi Fi speakers and an amp, rather than monitors, which I see as more necessary for producing your own music etc. and obviously they tend to lean towards sounding dead flat.

I want to rip 12" tracks to Wav format, but want to make sure I am doing it to a decent standard before I spend hours doing it! The wavs will then be loaded onto a USB stick which is what you plug into the XDJ's with.

The record out on the back of the mixer is RCA. I don't know what else I can say, that's all the gear I am using! I daresay that you could record straight to a laptop through recording software, but I don't think that is going to give you the best result.

I don't use mics.

Keeping it simple, I have 2 Technics SL1200 Mk2's (they have Ortofon concorde Mix Mk2 needles), 2 Pioneer XDJ 1000 Mk 2's, a Mastersounds Radius 2 valve mixer and Rokit monitors which are going to be sold as they are no match for this gear.

The PIONEER XDJ 1000 MK2 is a CD Based DJ Mixer - £1130 -

This has USB on the back and on the front it has a connector for a USB-Thumb Drive. Can you record out of either of these?

I am in the process of getting an amp and some speakers instead of some monitors - I have decided that this would sound more enjoyable through decent Hi Fi speakers and an amp, rather than monitors, which I see as more necessary for producing your own music etc. and obviously they tend to lean towards sounding dead flat.

The purpose of Studio Monitors being Flat is so that when you make Bass/Treble adjustments to the recording, you don't over-mix or under-mix based on coloration of the Monitor.

But if you are just doing straight recording with no alteration to the sound/tone, a Stereo System will be fine. And a Stereo will be much better for casual listening. And let's face it, if you are DJing an event, you are not going to be playing on Studio Monitors. Better to have more common Stereo equipment.

I want to rip 12" tracks to Wav format, but want to make sure I am doing it to a decent standard before I spend hours doing it! The wavs will then be loaded onto a USB stick which is what you plug into the XDJ's with.

The record out on the back of the mixer is RCA. I don't know what else I can say, that's all the gear I am using! I daresay that you could record straight to a laptop through recording software, but I don't think that is going to give you the best result.

You don't have to use WAV, you can use FLAC, which is a Lossless compression of a WAV file, and is the format that most digital music is in. FLAC saves storage space, but with storage being so cheap, that is perhaps not necessary. FLAC is also capable of storing High-Resolution files, though for DJ purposes, files in common CD (16b/44.1khz) format are probably fine.

Keep in mind that 16b/44.1k and 24b/96k are the nature of the recording; the resolution that it was recorded at. FLAC and WAV are merely the containers that the music is stored in. In a given FLAC/WAV, the content could be low MP3 quality or it could be as high as 24b/192k. Don't confuse the content with the container.

But I'm still unclear where the recording are going to when you record them. They have to be stored in real time on some device - Computer, Digital Recorder, other.

Most commonly today, recording is all done via USB into a Computer or similar device, although it can be done into a Digital Recorder, both are within your budget. More on Digital Recorders later.

The Mackie Big Knob Studio is a USB Studio-Grade USB Audio Interface. It can Record and Playback into a computer, and it can do both at the same time. It may seem complicated because it does have a large collection of features. But to record, you simple connect the thing you are trying to record into the Inputs, and it will output Digital Audio via USB to a Computer.

You will need some kind of software running on the computer to receiver the recording. Once the recording is done, you save the content in the format of your choice. WAV if you don't mind large files, or FLAC is you want smaller files with Lossless Compression.

There are many FREE Audio Recording/Editing Software Packages out there.

AUDACITY being very common and popular -

The Mackie Big Knob comes with Pro-Tools | First, which is a free program provided by Mackie, but you can download the latest version from AVID -

Pro-Tools is the standard default software for Recording Studios and you can download the free version here - (Free unlimited version = Pro-Tools | First) -

Alternately you can consider a compact digital recorder. Very high quality and there is one that even makes a back up MP3 at the same time that it is recording a WAV file. That way, if the WAV files is corrupted, or accidentally deleted, you have a back up copy. Not as good but it is a nice fail-safe.

An alternative is a Compact Digital Recorder -

These do have built in Microphones, but on the bottom they have Plug-In inputs, just make sure the recorder you choose has a Line Level input option. If you go to the more expensive models, they often have 4 or 6 inputs, and interchangeable microphone modules. ZOOM and and TASCAM being the most common and popular Brands.

I think you will get the best recording if you use the most minimal equipment, and by that I mean, the more devices that the signal passes through the more it will degrade the signal.

For example to record Vinyl, you need a Turntable, Phono Equalization Pre-Amp, and something like the Mackie Big Knob Studio or a Digital Recorder. And the Mackie would in turn feed a computer with recording software running.

The Mackie Big Knob Studio is about £161, and would record directly into a computer. Though probably best if the computer has 16Gb or more of memory. Once recorded, you decide what you want to Name it and what format you want to store it in. Again FLAC or WAV.

No matter what you choose, there is going to be some learning curve to it. But the results should be very good.

When you decide to buy a Stereo System, if you do, post again, and we can help you with some suggestions within your working budget range.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

This has USB on the back and on the front it has a connector for a USB-Thumb Drive. Can you record out of either of these?

The purpose of Studio Monitors being Flat is so that when you make Bass/Treble adjustments to the recording, you don't over-mix or under-mix based on coloration of the Monitor.

But if you are just doing straight recording with no alteration to the sound/tone, a Stereo System will be fine. And a Stereo will be much better for casual listening. And let's face it, if you are DJing an event, you are not going to be playing on Studio Monitors. Better to have more common Stereo equipment.

You don't have to use WAV, you can use FLAC, which is a Lossless compression of a WAV file, and is the format that most digital music is in. FLAC saves storage space, but with storage being so cheap, that is perhaps not necessary. FLAC is also capable of storing High-Resolution files, though for DJ purposes, files in common CD (16b/44.1khz) format are probably fine.

Keep in mind that 16b/44.1k and 24b/96k are the nature of the recording; the resolution that it was recorded at. FLAC and WAV are merely the containers that the music is stored in. In a given FLAC/WAV, the content could be low MP3 quality or it could be as high as 24b/192k. Don't confuse the content with the container.

But I'm still unclear where the recording are going to when you record them. They have to be stored in real time on some device - Computer, Digital Recorder, other.

Most commonly today, recording is all done via USB into a Computer or similar device, although it can be done into a Digital Recorder, both are within your budget. More on Digital Recorders later.

The Mackie Big Knob Studio is a USB Studio-Grade USB Audio Interface. It can Record and Playback into a computer, and it can do both at the same time. It may seem complicated because it does have a large collection of features. But to record, you simple connect the thing you are trying to record into the Inputs, and it will output Digital Audio via USB to a Computer.

You will need some kind of software running on the computer to receiver the recording. Once the recording is done, you save the content in the format of your choice. WAV if you don't mind large files, or FLAC is you want smaller files with Lossless Compression.

The Mackie Big Knob comes with Pro-Tools | First, which is a free program provided by Mackie, but you can download the latest version from AVID -

Pro-Tools is the standard default software for Recording Studios and you can download the free version here - (Free unlimited version = Pro-Tools | First) -

Alternately you can consider a compact digital recorder. Very high quality and there is one that even makes a back up MP3 at the same time that it is recording a WAV file. That way, if the WAV files is corrupted, or accidentally deleted, you have a back up copy. Not as good but it is a nice fail-safe.

These do have built in Microphones, but on the bottom they have Plug-In inputs, just make sure the recorder you choose has a Line Level input option. If you go to the more expensive models, they often have 4 or 6 inputs, and interchangeable microphone modules. ZOOM and and TASCAM being the most common and popular Brands.

I think you will get the best recording if you use the most minimal equipment, and by that I mean, the more devices that the signal passes through the more it will degrade the signal.

For example to record Vinyl, you need a Turntable, Phono Equalization Pre-Amp, and something like the Mackie Big Knob Studio or a Digital Recorder. And the Mackie would in turn feed a computer with recording software running.

The Mackie Big Knob Studio is about £161, and would record directly into a computer. Though probably best if the computer has 16Gb or more of memory. Once recorded, you decide what you want to Name it and what format you want to store it in. Again FLAC or WAV.

No matter what you choose, there is going to be some learning curve to it. But the results should be very good.

When you decide to buy a Stereo System, if you do, post again, and we can help you with some suggestions within your working budget range.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Will probably ship in a TASCAM.

Ok Steve, it's speakers and amp time. Unfortunately, the room is quite big. My house is a three-storey townhouse, so my lounge is in the basement, which is where I have my decks assembled. One advantage down there is that the floor is solid, so no movement on the Technics when the vinyl is on.

Can spend up to £600 total. My DJ pal from years ago reckons I will need 8" speakers.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
Steve, any amp speaker combo you recommend? Room is quite large.

Sorry ... been having computer problems, on my phone now.

- what are the dimensions of the room?
- how far from the speakers will you typically sit for casual listening?

Sorry to say but 600 is lean budget, not unworkable but lean. Is there any flexibility in that budget?

In a basic Amp with DAC, the Yamaha AS501 is 85w/ch with DAC with optical and coaxial inputs. Peter Tyson and ...I think... Richer Sounds have it for about 300.

As to speakers, that is more difficult, especially since I am on my phone. Check PeterTyson and see if they still have Monitor Audio Silver 2 on close-out. Might be a bit above budget but good speakers at a deep discount.

PeterTyson might also have Tannoy XT6F floorstanding on close-out. A 1300 speaker for under 500/pr. On both there are limited choices for finishes, but for that deep discount, it is a sacrifice
We can make to get good speakers cheap.

Steve/bluewizard

Sorry ... been having computer problems, on my phone now.

- what are the dimensions of the room?
- how far from the speakers will you typically sit for casual listening?

Sorry to say but 600 is lean budget, not unworkable but lean. Is there any flexibility in that budget?

In a basic Amp with DAC, the Yamaha AS501 is 85w/ch with DAC with optical and coaxial inputs. Peter Tyson and ...I think... Richer Sounds have it for about 300.

As to speakers, that is more difficult, especially since I am on my phone. Check PeterTyson and see if they still have Monitor Audio Silver 2 on close-out. Might be a bit above budget but good speakers at a deep discount.

PeterTyson might also have Tannoy XT6F floorstanding on close-out. A 1300 speaker for under 500/pr. On both there are limited choices for finishes, but for that deep discount, it is a sacrifice
We can make to get good speakers cheap.

Steve/bluewizard
Ok, spending more. What amp do you think will go with the Monitor Audio 2 silvers? Quite like the Yamaha AS501, but open to improvement. I was looking at the Audiolab 6000A, but it may not be enough.

Remember, I'm not sitting down listening to these, they are for use whilst mixing, so I'll be standing up by my decks. They would probably have to go on stands, not keen on wall mounting them.

The room is L shaped, 27ft long and 11ft wide. I have the decks on a desk facing the wall.

Last edited:
Did you look at the speakers I suggested?

The Yamaha AS501 is a lot of Amp for a modest amount of money.

The 6000A might be a better amp but it is less power and less features, you have to decide what you priorities are.

With your limited budget I would suggest you maximize what you get for your money.

It is hard for me to provide linms from my phone, but go to PeterTyson.com and look at the Monitor Audio Silver 2 (8") and the Tannoy XT6F. They are likely above your budget but very good speakers at deep discounts.

Again it is about maximizing what you get for a limited amount if money.

Steve

Hi

Can anyone help please?

Did you look at the speakers I suggested?

The Yamaha AS501 is a lot of Amp for a modest amount of money.

The 6000A might be a better amp but it is less power and less features, you have to decide what you priorities are.

With your limited budget I would suggest you maximize what you get for your money.

It is hard for me to provide linms from my phone, but go to PeterTyson.com and look at the Monitor Audio Silver 2 (8") and the Tannoy XT6F. They are likely above your budget but very good speakers at deep discounts.

Again it is about maximizing what you get for a limited amount if money.

Steve
I did. Steve at Peter Tyson didn't think the Monitor Audio Silver 2's were worth the price jump over the Bronze 2's.
I definitely need bookshelves not floor standers - probably going to have to put them on wall brackets to get the correct height. I can't be using floor standers (even though I like them) for standing at the desk mixing, all the detail will be getting blown too low.
I've noticed that 8" driver bookshelves seem to be a thing of the past - I need 100Watts minimum for that room. As I'm standing so close, I'll probably get away with 6.5" bookshelves. I shall take my Monitor Bronze 2's down there and see how they sound, waiting for an XLR adapter delivery as the Master out on my mixer is XLR, but I want to plug it into an amp.
Whilst on that subject, there is also a booth out on the mixer which you can also connect an amp to if required. Would it be better to connect to the Master Out (using an XLR to RCA adapter, then running RCA to the amp), or use booth out which will be 1/4 inch to RCA. One of my favoured cable makers KabelDirekt don't even make 1/4 inch to RCA. This whole XLR thing is very debatable to me - I don't really see a big difference - I think it's more skewed to using bigger rigs for playing out etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom