Ripping upcoming Star Wars Blu Ray boxset to A200/YAMJ - Feasible?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I quite fancy the SW blus (the full 9 disk set), but I'm a little concerned that there's a hell of a lot of work in ripping all 9 disks.

Actually, it's more the extras disks I'm concerned about as ripping each film and it's DTS MA HD soundtrack should be fairly straightforward using MakeMKV.

I did the extras on my Expendables Blu and just those few were a bit of a headache, but SW has a shedload of extras spread across 3 disks! :eek:

Special Features
Star Wars: The Complete Saga On Blu-Ray is presented in widescreen with 6.1 DTS Surround Sound.
Disc One: Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires
Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew
Disc Two: Star Wars: Episode II Attack Of The Clones
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow
Disc Three: Star Wars: Episode III Revenge Of The Sith
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett
Disc Four: Star Wars: Episode Iv A New Hope
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren
Disc Five: Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren
Disc Six: Star Wars: Episode VI Return Of The Jedi
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren
Disc Seven: New! Star Wars Archives: Episodes I-III
Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more
Disc Eight: New! Star Wars Archives: Episodes IV-VI
Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more
Disc Nine: The Star Wars Documentaries
New! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) - Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.
New! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) - George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.
New! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) - The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more -- and don't miss "Weird Al" Yankovic's one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!
The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) - Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.
The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) - Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas' vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!
Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) - Go behind the scenes -- and into the costumes -- as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.
Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) - See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.
Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) - Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today. view | cast and crew information

I'm not bothered about the audio commentaries on the main movie disks (the film and it's DTS MA HD soundtrack will be fine!) and I really do fancy these extras, but I do think it may almost not be worth the time/work involved.... :(

Is there a way to rip the disc as a kind of ISO, so you get all the menus etc when you play it? Not necessary for movies but would be useful for extras discs

richard plumb said:
Is there a way to rip the disc as a kind of ISO, so you get all the menus etc when you play it? Not necessary for movies but would be useful for extras discs

The A200 can handle Blu ISOs, but due to licensing it doesn't do menus etc, so I think if I ripped each disk to an ISO I would only be able to play the main movie.

Erm, surely if you're buying it. Why can't you just use the discs????

When I had the playonHD, it could go between different titles, languages, subs etc in a BD.iso using its own option/playback menu. The hard bit is no one until playback what each title is.

The A200 can handle Blu ISOs, but due to licensing it doesn't do menus etc, so I think if I ripped each disk to an ISO I would only be able to play the main movie.

They added menu support a couple of firmwares ago. Supposed to be hit and miss but all menus I have tried with the A210 work including my Aliens discs. It is just BD-LIVE it does not support at all now.

I would rip the discs to a folder structure first and test it (I don;t like ISO as media info cannot get all the information from them). Ripping to a folder structure with AnyDVDHD should be a couple of clicks and a painless process.

Rom said:
They added menu support a couple of firmwares ago. Supposed to be hit and miss but all menus I have tried with the A210 work including my Aliens discs. It is just BD-LIVE it does not support at all now.

I would rip the discs to a folder structure first and test it (I don;t like ISO as media info cannot get all the information from them). Ripping to a folder structure with AnyDVDHD should be a couple of clicks and a painless process.

Rom.....

I still love you!

Apparently you will not be initially be able to rip the star wars set to iso and be able to play it back

You have to have a certified thx player in order to play back the rip.

Sounds suspect to me, what if your actual BD player is not THX certified, will it refuse to play on there? If so, there will be a right **** storm as how many BD players out there are actually THX certified?. If it does play on non THX players then an ISO played on a media player is no different.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from player manufacturer who has signed an exclusive 2 month deal with Lucas and there will be an announcement and press release soon. Unfortunately I am bound by an NDA so can't disclose the source. I know that sounds like a cop out but I wanted to give people the heads up and passing the details that Im able to. I believe THX have an announcement planned according to my source but I thought it strange when they mentioned it

As is always the case without hard evidence it is just hear say and it may be the mfr blowing smoke up it's own ****

The person I was talking to was not a techie, so I couldn't really discuss the hows. I can't see how they can prevent an iso playing as it's exactly the same as the disc, and there is no way they will not play on every bd player.

The only way I can think of is via some bd-live feature that checks back to skywalker ranch

The THX thing sounds like rubbish to me. Sure, maybe some BDLIVE functionality to 'call home' as you say and check that they are physically running the disc not an ISO but any software worth its salt (eg AnyDVDHD) can rip the BDLIVE sections out anyway.

As you say, we will see in a week or so when the disc is out in the shops. I have already seen rips about on the intarweb so the whole thing sounds like bull/marketing smokescreens.

Having got to my hotel room and doing some more research I really think its just marketing spin. I really can't see how they would implement that. I might ask for further clarification tomorrow but as they can't say anything official I don't think we'll get anymore info until THX announce something. They did say there was something on the bd box but again, I suspect it's an optimization thing not a won't play thing

Ok, bypassed the marketing guys and spoke to the head honcho of development. As we suspected it's none techies not understanding the techie stuff.

The player mfr will be the only mfr to begin with who support the new THX Media Director mode. This mode is where the disk tells the player what settings to use for things like contrast, brightness etc, so the director has control over your viewing pleasure in your home to further enhance your experience (their spin not mine) Presumably these settings will be reset after each viewing and they will be different for each disk. They didn't confirm if this mode had a Ja-Ja removable mode:D

All other players will just play it as normal. This Mode does not officially support ISO (but doesn't mean it wouldn't work)

Apparently there is wording as such on the star wars box. There will be other player manufacturers coming online with this facility in the future

graham.myers said:
Ok, bypassed the marketing guys and spoke to the head honcho of development. As we suspected it's none techies not understanding the techie stuff.

The player mfr will be the only mfr to begin with who support the new THX Media Director mode. This mode is where the disk tells the player what settings to use for things like contrast, brightness etc, so the director has control over your viewing pleasure in your home to further enhance your experience (their spin not mine) Presumably these settings will be reset after each viewing and they will be different for each disk. They didn't confirm if this mode had a Ja-Ja removable mode:D

All other players will just play it as normal. This Mode does not officially support ISO (but doesn't mean it wouldn't work)

Apparently there is wording as such on the star wars box. There will be other player manufacturers coming online with this facility in the future

Thanks Graham.

So presumably I will still be able to rip my disks using MakeMKV/AnyDVDHD to MKV/Blu folder structure and play them using my Popcorn Hour?

Couldn't rip these using makemkv, something to do with BD+, could rip with ANYDVD however and then once done then could re-rip from that file with MakeMKV.

Hello there, I've got the boxset for my birthday and as I own a PCH A200, I started feeding them to my storage server. Using DVDFab (latest version), I managed to rip each Bluray to an iso file and play them with the PCH without any issue, whereas I had issues (lags, freezes) playing the original BR on my PC.
However I have an issue with the extra disks, I can't get the right NFO for YAMJ to add them nicely in my jukebox...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom