1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping Time

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sticker, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I currently trying to rip all my CD's using EAC & Lame. Currently I having to use my laptop to do this as my main PC is out of commision because the moving monkeys dropped it :mad:
    I do have a problem in that some albums, particulary those that have around 17+ songs take around 5 hours on the laptop. This seems excessively long, so what length of time does it take you guys?

FYI the laptop is a AMD 2.5ghz, 512mb ram, 60gb HD. I'm ripping at 320kbs VBR

Regards
    John

2. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I spent the weekend ripping my CD collection for my new Zen Micro :)

Using the Creative software that came with the Zen the average CD ripped to WMA @ 128Kbps took about 5 minutes including downloading the track/album data from the internet database and uploading to the Zen via USB2.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,405
    I have found with EAC that the CD can take ages to rip if it is scratch or dirty. This is caused by the high level of error correction used.
    If cleaning the CDs before you start does not help then you can turn off the error correction and you should be able to rip a CD in under 10 minutes, probably far less. It will still take Lame another 10 minutes or so to convert the files to MP3, butthis can be done in the background while ripping another disk.

I have 2 optical drives on my PC, so I have 1 set in EAC with the error correction on and the other with it switched off. If I then have trouble with a CD I skip the track(s) that are causing the problem and then rip them on the other drive without the error correction. The difference in quality once converted to MP3 is only small so not worth worrying about for the odd few tracks.

Mark.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Mark I shall give your method a go

Regards
    John