1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping THEM off?

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by The_kUrGaN, Nov 30, 2003.

1. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A few months back PC World advertised in the national press a photo quality printer at half price stating to "hurry because the offer must end in 7 days". On day two I ventured in to my local branch to buy one, only to be told (surprise surprise) that they hadn't any in stock, and that any new stock rec'd would be sold at the normal price. On querying this with customer services by email I was told that at the time of placing the advert they only need have stock availability in 33% of their stores. Which probably means they had one offer price printer in a third of their national stores and got countless hundreds of customers into stores under false pretences, hoping we would buy something else . Us ripping off the companies ??? Makes a nice frikkin' change if you ask me. :mad:

2. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ahem....apologies if this doesn't make sense. It was supposed to be a reply to the "DVD Prices thread" .....:blush:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    very true, this is a loss leader and is used by almost every retailer high street or not. Moral, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is!

4. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All repeat after me,
    "Must resist buying unnessesary items in order to compensate for wasted journey to shop to find out special offer no longer advailable because of cynical loss leader policy."
    :mad: :( :rolleyes: :) :D

Ahhhhhhhh thats better.:cool:

5. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talking of PC World - I rang them two weeks ago to enquire about stock of an Epson 2400 Photo scanner at the Sheffield store. I was told it was in stock but was the display model (only one left) but it had been put on one side for me to collect that evening.

45 min drive later I walked into the store - it took them 20 minutes to locate the scanner which was missing the PSU, all the software, the photo adaptor and the manual. To cap it all the lid was also damaged rendering the scanner unusable!!

Despite complaining to the manager and writing to customer "services" all I got was "We're sorry for your inconvenience".

PC World will not recieve my custom ever again!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Superb another small but significant nail in DSG

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    For more DSG horror stories, see mastercare.blogspot.com

8. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Yeah, that blog was very interesting.

I contributed to it as the annoymous PC Service Call call-centre monkey. DSG are indeed a nasty, evil, greedy company. Don't ever ever ever buy a PC from there unless they're virtually giving it away, and even then don't trust the warantee. Any avoid the extended warantees like, er, herpes. But then you all knew that :)