Ripping Software

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Strobe, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Can anyone recommend some Blu-ray ripping software, please?

I currently use a combination of Anydvd HD and Handbrake but find that Handbrake gives inconsistent results. I don't mind paying for the software.

I would like to be able to rip straight from the Blu-ray and create a single file for the main movie at 1080p with 5.1 sound, and here's the important bit, produce a file that can be viewed via Apple TV3 and a 4th gen iPod. File sizes around 6GB's seem to give an acceptable standard of output via the Apple TV.

At the moment, I do two encode runs via Handbrake; one using the ATV3 preset and one using the iphone 4 preset. For some reason iTunes will not copy the ATV3 files on to the iPod (says they are incompatible). The iPod is a 64GB model so capacity for copying across half a dozen large file size films isn't an issue.

As far as I can see, all AnyDVD HD can do is copy/rip the entire disc, which I don't want to do.

All I am trying to achieve is to archive all my movies on to the PC, so they can be catalogued and streamed via iTunes to the TV via Apple TV 3 and also have a copy which my son can transfer on to his iPod?

Is there any advantage to copying the whole disc to my HDD before encoding via Handbrake, rather than encoding via Handbrake 'on the fly' straight from the Blu-ray drive?

Any thoughts/assistance much appreciated. Thanks.

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    The iPod Touch 4th gen has the Apple A4 chip powering it, the H.264 hardware decoder in this is inferior to the one found in the A5 chip which is what's in the AppleTV 3.

My guess is the Handbrake presets are using all of the features/high bitrates available on the ATV3 preset so thats why they wont play on the iPod-T.

Try using the AppleTV2 preset instead as it is also based on the A4 chip so that might work better for one video encode that covers both.

Well you can queue up jobs for one thing, something you cant do with discs and it might be faster but that sort of depends on a bunch of factors. You can use MakeMKV to just take the movie only off the disc to the HDD lossless then feed the blu-ray/mkv video to Handbrake.

3. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,029
    DVDFab?

4. mirrorman

mirrorman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  5. simplicity96

simplicity96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Ripbot64 as mentioned or megui with avisynth for full control and best output.

6. raw27

raw27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Hi

I was going to post a thread and saw this one,

I want to rip some blu rays (as no dig copy) so i can watch on my tablet when away. would the above links for the software be the ones i need?

I did not realise that the UV is a streaming copy so no good for me when films only come with that option,

thanks

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  7. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,424
    AnyDVD + Blurip here, does the job.