Ripping problem, this is bugging me, can you help?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Just got my first streaming device (WDTV Live) and currently learning how to use it, and it's going well. The problem I cant seem to solve is this...

I want to be able to get the odd show off my Sky HD box to play on the WDTV (I'm not bothered and I know it's not possible about it being ripped in HD).

So, I figured the way to do this is copy the show from the Sky box to my DVD recorder (via SCART) and then rip the recorded DVD-RW on my PC using DVDFab (ISO) Freemake (MKV, MP4 etc...). This all works fine but when I play the ripped show on the WDTV box I get this...

242ih35.jpg

...a black border that wasn't there on the original recording and isn't there If I just play the DVD in the DVD recorder. Seems that the rip produces video at 789 x 576. I've tried using Freemake to rip the DVD to other sizes i.e. 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080 but it still produces a file with properties 789 x 576.

I'd like to somehow rip so that the black border does not appear and without resorting to using the 'zoom' controls on the TV or WDTV box's remotes.

I don't have enough knowledge here to know what I'm doing, please can someone help?

Thanks.

:)

next010

Distinguished Member
Do the borders appear when playing ISO in PC media player like MPC-HC or VLC ?

If no then download Ripbot264, input the ISO into it and click on properties and you will find a resolution changer with presets, try the 720p preset and see what happens.

If the borders are part of the video they need to be cropped out of it, you can do it manually with Ripbot264.

If you dont want any resize and just an easy crop of the borders feed the ISO into Handbrake, select high profile preset, MP4 or MKV container and click start. It will auto crop the video and usually take care of any aspect ratio issues for you as well.

Last edited:

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Do the borders appear when playing ISO in PC media player like MPC-HC or VLC ?

Yep. Turns out old jelly head here had the Sky HD box's SCART output set to 4:3L rather than 16:9. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Now when I burn a disc recorded from the Sky box, rip to say MKV and play using the WDTV Live box I get the correct picture height but black borders at the side and the picture is squashed horizontally...

31655py.jpg

If I rip the DVD using Freemake with the option to stretch it, it plays on the WDTV Live thus (i.e. correctly)...

1rw5eq.jpg

Thus I believe the DVD recorder records in 786 x 576 but on playback through the HDMI stretches the image to fill the screen (looks 16:9), but ripping the disc reveals it's 786 x 576 nature.
So I think I've now probably got the best method I can achieve for transferring stuff off my Sky box to play using the WDTV Live i.e.

1) Record onto DVD from the Sky box
2) Rip using Freemake 720p with horizontal stretch applied.

The resulting quality is not too bad, not as good as the Sky Box's recording, but pretty much the same as the DVD playback.

I'd appreciate it if someone smart could verify that I'm probably understanding what's going on correctly and can verify that the procedure I'm doing is the best I can hope for.

Thanks.

Last edited:

HeadBanger

I'm not sure why you want to upscale 576(i?) to 720p via re-encoding? If you open your burned DVD up un Handbrake, choose the high profile preset and select strict anamorphic (strict anamorphic will flag the file to display at 1024*576) you will end up with a 576 (i or p) file that's much smaller.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure why you want to upscale 576(i?) to 720p via re-encoding? If you open your burned DVD up un Handbrake, choose the high profile preset and select strict anamorphic (strict anamorphic will flag the file to display at 1024*576) you will end up with a 576 (i or p) file that's much smaller.

I have a lot to learn as you can guess. 'Handbrake' what's that?

next010

Distinguished Member
Handbrake is an x264 video encoder probably the most popular one, Freemake likely uses x264 too but is only for very basic video conversion without advanced features.

HeadBanger

Chadford,

Thinking about this a bit more you could actually use MakeMKV to create an MKV of your DVD. Unless you want to compress the file size (and lose a small amount of quality) it has the added benefit of not re-encoding the video stream. It will take the raw video from the DVD and place into an MKV (Matroska) container. As you will have lost some quality already when recording onto a DVD it might be the better option.

However, you will end up with the wrong picture size flag again (as it will copy your DVD exactly) but you can correct it. Download MKVMerge, add the MKV file created, highlight the video stream and then select 'Format specific options'. There you will see a 'display width/height:' - change the values to W 1024 and H 576. Hit 'start muxing' and it will create you a new version with the correct 16:9 flag.

HTH

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Chadford,

Thinking about this a bit more you could actually use MakeMKV......

I've had a bash at this, I found the resulting file sizes for an example short film (DVD-RW to Logorama.mkv) thus...

Freemake (with horizontal stretch) - 377,814 KB (i.e. what I was doing, as above)

MakeMKV then mkvmerge to stretch - 1,133,902 KB

Interestingly the quality of the MKVs is as near as dammit identical, as you stated the main degradation is obviously recording via the SCART connector.
Looks like Freemake may not be a bad choice considering that the source material is SD quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom