Ripping my collection of TV series dvds help

Meridius

HI all

I just built a new media centre and i have loads of tv series dvds i would like to rip to my media centre so that i can pack them all away as the wife is sick of them all.

so the question is what do i need to rip these dvds into

1 there own episodes meaning i want each episodes separate as all of my dvds have a few on each
2 have then compressed down to divx format (and what good options to use to get the best picture)

thanks to anyone who helps on this as it looks like a big task and want to make it easy as poss

cheers

next010

Distinguished Member
Rip the TV show DVD's with MakeMKV, it is ideal for this task.

MakeMKV rips the video to a standalone MKV container so all the episodes will be as individual files that are playable without having to start a DVD or wait for menus etc.

Really given how large HD's are now I dont think you'd need to compress the video, if you really want to Handbrake is a good beginners front end to x264.

Click "Source-Video File" and point it at the MKV, now click "High Profile" preset and set the container as MKV* then click "Start". This will compress the MPEG-2 video using x264 and leave you with a high quality video.

* Or use MP4 container for compatibility with other devices e.g Playstation 3/Xbox 360.

Meridius

why would you convert them to mkv? i thought this format is best used for hd ? not only yhat i have alot of fvfd to do and if i do not compress them they will be 9 gig each as with tv series stuff that is used for divx are normaly about the 350mb mark for each episode which would save alot of space and get the same quality as dvds ?

can you get a mkv dowen to that size as divx and still have a high quality vide as with divx its just that you still see alot of people having divx and they still use it

cheers

next010

Distinguished Member
MKV is a universal container it is not best used for anything, the container does not define the codec.

MakeMKV is a ripper it copies the original MPEG-2 video into an MKV container.

Handbrake is an encoder it converts video into x264 and can place it in an MKV container.

You will get a much better quality video from x264 compared to DivX for any type of video. If you want to use DivX/AVI instead thats fine just feed any DivX encoder the MPEG-2/MKV video.

Meridius

no if you think mkv is better thats great as long the quality is there and the files are small.

is there any guides ?

also i have a few dvds already ripped can makemkv rip each episode out of a tsvideo folder or iso file from the harddrive drive ?

cheers

next010

Distinguished Member
also i have a few dvds already ripped can makemkv rip each episode out of a tsvideo folder or iso file from the harddrive drive ?

cheers
Yes it can just click the folder icon (open files) in MakeMKV and point it at the folder holding the video.

As to a Handbrake guide it really is that simple as I posted earlier just install the application then;

* Click "Source-Video File" and point it at the MPEG-2/MKV
* Now click on "High Profile" preset
* Set the container as MKV or MP4
* Then click "Start"

Handbrake uses whats called constant quality mode for encoding so you'll always have a high quality video no matter what there is no fixed file size output.

By default it is set to RF20 which is a good balance of compression/image quality you can increase the level of compression for a smaller file by clicking on the video tab and dragging the RF slider to a higher value I wouldn't go higher than RF24.

You can also revert to a fixed file size output on the same video tab by ticking the box for 'target size' but constant quality is better as not all videos are equal and it preserves the detail for those that would otherwise suffer.

Last edited:

Meridius

cheers so what happens if a film is split over 3 vobs does handbrake combine them as one file ?

also what about sound i know some movies and tv stuff have 2 audio traks like dolby digital and DTS can you keep them both ? doe sit convert them to another audio file format ? or does it not compress the audio at all

cheers

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
cheers so what happens if a film is split over 3 vobs does handbrake combine them as one file ?
Yes if you import the VOB folder directly into Handbrake, if using MakeMKV it already joins the MPEG-2/VOB's into a single MPEG-2/MKV file.

also what about sound i know some movies and tv stuff have 2 audio traks like dolby digital and DTS can you keep them both ? doe sit convert them to another audio file format ? or does it not compress the audio at all
Both MakeMKV (as a ripper) and Handbrake (when using MKV container for output) will preserve the original Dolby AC3 or DTS audio track.

In Handbrake check the audio tab page for more details, you can alter the settings from there and add DTS pass-thru, AC3 pass-thru is enabled by default (copies original AC3 track).

Meridius

can you not have both since mkv is a container so when i watch the movie ot tv sereis using the tv i can use the ac3 dolby digtial untouched audio and then if i wanted to use the 2nd audio for dts whe i use an amp or can you ony have 1 audio stream ?

as if i choise dts when playing on a tv it will not work as tvs do not support dts tracks

strolls

Novice Member
Sorry to intrude, but how does MakeMKV handle multiple episodes on a disk, please?
Does one have to create a separate .mkv file for each episode?

next010

Distinguished Member
can you not have both since mkv is a container so when i watch the movie ot tv sereis using the tv i can use the ac3 dolby digtial untouched audio and then if i wanted to use the 2nd audio for dts whe i use an amp or can you ony have 1 audio stream ?

as if i choise dts when playing on a tv it will not work as tvs do not support dts tracks
Yes you can have multiple audio streams, in Handbrake go to audio tab
* click add track
* select audio codec as DTS passthru

You can remove the AAC track and leave the AC3 pass thru track.

To save your settings in tool bar menu called presets click new preset so this will save your changes and dont have to do this each time.

Sorry to intrude, but how does MakeMKV handle multiple episodes on a disk, please?
It dumps each episode to an individual MKV file, that's all it does.

strolls

Novice Member
It dumps each episode to an individual MKV file, that's all it does.
Sorry, new to all this - follow-up questions:

Can the .mkv have multiple audio tracks, so the director's commentary can be included as an alternative, as well as the main audio?

Subtitles?

Thanks for your help so far, next010.

next010

Distinguished Member
Sorry, new to all this - follow-up questions:

Can the .mkv have multiple audio tracks, so the director's commentary can be included as an alternative, as well as the main audio?

Subtitles?

Thanks for your help so far, next010.
Yeah whatever's on the disc and attached to that stream (video/audio/subs), just try it out.

Meridius

what is a AAC track is that DTS ? and AC3 is dolby digital ?

forgot about subs what about movies that only have some subs on for none speaking english parts ? or do you need to hard encode them

next010

Distinguished Member
what is a AAC track is that DTS ? and AC3 is dolby digital ?

forgot about subs what about movies that only have some subs on for none speaking english parts ? or do you need to hard encode them
AAC is an audio codec like MP3, basically it's successor if you ever played a M4A audio file from an iPod that is an AAC encoded audio file.

AAC does have a 5.1 surround sound capability but very few amp's support AAC natively in the first place. There really isn't much point encoding into AAC unless your desperate to save as much space as possible.

As for forced subs thats a more tricky area, not all DVD's do forced subs the same. If your lucky the forced subs are a separate subtitle track on the DVD so it's only a matter of finding the right one then burning it (hard encode) into the video during encoding.

Simply playing the MPEG-2/MKV (assuming you've ripped in MakeMKV with all subs attached to that stream) in VLC or MPC-HC and cycling through the subtitles will find you the correct forced subtitles track.

After that in Handbrake with your MPEG-2/MKV loaded, go to the subtitles tab, tick the box for "burned in" then click "add track" and point it at the right one.

You may notice that DVD subs can look crappy on screen you can convert them using the likes of Aegisub into a much nicer .SRT format, once you have your SRT file click the import SRT button instead on the Handbrake subtitles page.

Meridius

ok thanks so what do i pick for untouched audio dolby digital and dts

next010

Distinguished Member
ok thanks so what do i pick for untouched audio dolby digital and dts
On the audio tab click add track then where it says audio codec select DTS passthru. Dolby AC3 passthru is enabled by default when using MKV container so just delete the AAC track and order the AC3/DTS whichever way you want.

Meridius

cheers i have riped a disk and i have a german audio 1st and english audio 2nd how can i swap theres around is there a way or delete the german audio i dont know what i have done here

next010

Distinguished Member
Ripped in MakeMKV ?, just re-rip and untick the German audio track.

Or use MKVmerge and change the order of the audio track, click start muxing to generate a new MKV file with the changes.

Meridius

Ripped in MakeMKV ?, just re-rip and untick the German audio track.

Or use MKVmerge and change the order of the audio track, click start muxing to generate a new MKV file with the changes.
thanks for that

Meridius

Hi all

I have 2 mkv files that has 3 audio tracks in each and the english one is first and the default one now when i play the mkv in windows media player the Haali Media Splitter loads up and picks the right english track. fine

the other mkv file which i have for some reason when i play it back it decides to pick track 3 which is not english but when i play it in vlc player it does play the english track which does not use the Haali Media Splitter software.

i have tried the mkvtoolnix and found that the english one is the defalut i have even tried to change it to force that track but Haali Media Splitter still keeps picking the 3rd none english audio wheres vlc player picks the right one.

i ahev even changed the defalut audio to the 3rd spanish one and tried it in vlc and it plays the 3rd track in spanish so mkvtoolnix is working in that respect but Haali Media Splitter will not pick the english track.

i ahve other mkvs with 3 audios and it picks the english track i just dont know why it keeps doing this is this a bug as vlc player seems to work fine?

and windows media centre does the same

can anyone help me here thanks

Meridius

also a quick question if i ripped the subtitles and say you had a film that only needed to be on for the none speaking english parts is there a set on the blu-ray that i need to include or is it just the full set of subtitles the normal ones and would a mkv know when to turn these on ?

thanks

its just i have some movies that have english subs for the none speaking parts

next010

Distinguished Member
Windows media center does not natively support MKV files and its features using anything to play MKV in WMP or WMC is a hack. VLC and your hardware player do support MKV natively so that is why it works.

I would suggest using XBMC on your PC instead.

Alternatively if using Windows 7 and you really want compatibility between your hardware media player (WDTV Live, Popcornhour etc) and your PC's try the MP4 container instead though I dont know if windows media center or windows media player support multiple audio tracks in MP4.

Forced subtitles as I explained a few posts back are on a cases by base basis, same as DVD's Blu-rays if your lucky have a separate subtitle track which you can convert with the right software like like suprip, easysup etc.

Meridius

i have tried the mkvtoolnix and ripped all the auidos out apart form the english and now works.

what i can not understand is that when playing mkv in windows media or media centre the haali icon pops up and you can select the english audio but for some reason it will not select it as the first audio track even though it has a flag in the mkv container saying its the default audio track first.

can mkvtoolnix damage mkvs when ripping out unwanted audio tracks ? or is it 100% spot on

i use windows media centre becasue my xbox360 supports media stream and looks trhe same as it does on my pc so i can not use xbmc as i use a xbox360 as the front end at this time.

next010

Distinguished Member
mkvtoolnix does not damage MKV's in anyway it is a tool for editing MKV files.

As I said Windows media player/center do not support all Matroska (MKA/MKV) features, different MKV splitters may work better [or not] like the DivX MKV splitter for win 7 but it's always just a hack.

If your using the 360 for playback your best to sticking with MP4 for compatibility rather than use MKV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett