ripping DVD's to Vista Media Centre

gilbertdave

Novice Member
Hi all,

Firstly, apologies as I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the answer on here !

I have set up my PC to run in the living room and will shorty be lokoing to distribute X Box's to the other TV's in the house to use them as media extenders.

My main aim is to get my DVD collection onto the computer and have access to them throughout the house via the X Box and Media Centre.

But, I cannot find a decent program to rip the DVD's and I don't know which format is best for playing the films on media centre. I have around 1.4TB so storage space shouldn't be an issue and I can always expand if necessary.

I tried a program called Magic something or other and it convert directly into AVI format but the quality was nowhere near DVD quality.

I am now at a bit of a loss as to what will improve things

Any and all advice would be very welcome :lease:

gilbertdave

Novice Member
Thanks Tony...

What a refereshingly clear and concise answer... and all in under half and hour !

Ten points and a pat on the back for you.

I'll try this over the weekend and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again. :smashin:

tony_yates

Thanks Tony...

What a refereshingly clear and concise answer... and all in under half and hour !

Ten points and a pat on the back for you.

I'll try this over the weekend and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again. :smashin:
Be aware the DVDshrink by default will endeavour to shrink the files, this is so that it can be burned to a single dvd disc, so to maintain full quality set compression to no compression; it will warn you about not fitting on a dvd disc but we don't care as it's going to hard drive.

DVDshrink doesn't need a copy protection removal tool so you should be okay there. If I was going to buy a product then the slysoft stuff would be my choice.

I tried My Movies but found it a bit slow, I'm going to be looking at Media Browser found here

jazzishot

Novice Member
Great minds- i was about to ask pretty much the same question! I want to start backing up my dvds to hard drive and wanted to know which was the correct file type for VMC- ie with no compression and menus etc intact. I actually don't have Vista yet and was going to hold off 'til windows 7 came out- just want to make a head start on backing up movies- have a lot to do!!
A couple of related questions:
1/ will MC "upscale" the files? I'll be watching on a 60 inch 1080p plasma and thru a 1080p pj- so i want best pic quality possible.
2/ If i use my Xbox 360 as an extender wirelessly will there be any lag??

Thanks in advance!

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Mod Comment: please can you be careful when replying to this topic, can we have no "how to's", "guides" or discussion of circumventing copy protection.

Curly

tony_yates

Great minds- i was about to ask pretty much the same question! I want to start backing up my dvds to hard drive and wanted to know which was the correct file type for VMC- ie with no compression and menus etc intact. I actually don't have Vista yet and was going to hold off 'til windows 7 came out- just want to make a head start on backing up movies- have a lot to do!!
A couple of related questions:
1/ will MC "upscale" the files? I'll be watching on a 60 inch 1080p plasma and thru a 1080p pj- so i want best pic quality possible.
2/ If i use my Xbox 360 as an extender wirelessly will there be any lag??

Thanks in advance!
Hi Jazz,

1) good question - I think the standard answer would be to set the output of the htpc to the native resolution of the TV and let that do the upscaling\processing.

I hope Stephen Neal of here will come along and explain it....

2) It might well lag\stutter, I know when I set my Son's up it was slow to get going on configuring but that might have been just the initial setup. Howver, there is a network test tool you can run on VMC and mine indicated the network would be okay for music,pictures but ran out of steam for TV and HDTV - I'm going to be cabling the HTPC in my network, the xbox is already cabled. If you can I'd do this.

HTH a bit

mwallan

I rip all my dvds to my media center / home server using dvd shrink or other as vob. I then use a little app called dvd library manaager for the dvd file info its the one i like best

You can stream dvds etc to 360 no probs over wireless, but the problem will start as 360 wont play dvds straight off you might have to click on each vob file to play the dvd or use transcode 360 for it to work.

With windows 7 you will be able to get bbchd to work over the 360 if you have access to that.

At the moment i have win 7 media center set to 720p so everything is upscaled to this dvds & tv

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom