Ripping DVD's - Films with multiple discs

Elrond

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have the Lord of the Rings films on DVD's and I would like to rip them to play through my AppleTV. However, each one spans more than one disc.

I've been using Handbreak for everything else, but does anyone know how to combine films with multiple discs into one file?

Check out IVI. It does everything that HB does and more. You can combine files with it too and add in MetaData automatically amongst loads of other things.

Although I'm a big fan of iVI, I haven't managed to get it join files properly, there has always been an audio issue.
In your case what I would do is use a programme called MakeMKV, although it looks very Windows based it does a great job of taking either a DVD Disc/ISO/VIDEO_TS and creating an MKV file. When creating the file you untick all the audio & sub tracks not required so if you have a movie over 2 DVD's you can get them set exactly alike.
Then I would use MKVtools which does a great job of joining them both to create one big MKV.
Finally drop that into iVI for a fully Metadata'd M4V to view of on the AppleTV.
It's a bit of a long process but there shouldn't be many multi disc DVD's so shouldn't take too long. :smashin:

Have only joined multiple episodes into a single file for my Son to watch without choosing the next episode. Can't comment on whether it seamlessly transitions though as you get the credits in between so impossible to say. Certainly joins them up tidily though.

I've joined multiple discs using iVI and never had any problems so far. It can also join separate MP4 files etc.

That's good to know, maybe I was doing something wrong as it would much better/easier to keep everything in iVI.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom