Question Ripping DVD to iso does it keep original region?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by davemurgatroyd2, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    As per title - if I rip a DVD or Bluray to an iso and then burn that iso to DVD/Bluray does it keep the original region code? I actually want it to keep original region as I wish to rip some other region DVDs/Blurays and use the copies to test regionaliity of players, what formats they play and keep the copies with my other test/calibration discs (CD, CDG, VCD,SVCD, DVD, DVD A, HD DVD and Bluray)

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Region codes are stored on a seperate area of the DVD/Bluray disk. They only control if you can read the video data which is stored on the data area of the disk with the player you are using. If you can rip the disk the region code doesn't mean anything. The actual video and audio data doesn't have a region code, though a blu-ray may have a hidden signal in a Dolby Digital track (cinavia) that prevents the copy being played. If you delete the Dolby Digital audio from the rip and only add one of the master HD tracks they should play OK assuming you have the required audio codecs in the device used to decode the audio.

If you copy a DVD/Bluray to a suitable recordable blank the extra track storing the region code isn't present, therefore the resulting disk is region free.

Many ripping programmes will ignore the region codes anyway.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018