Ripping DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by FunkyMonkey, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Given that DVD-Audio is a PCM format, is it possible to rip a DVD-Audio disc into a equally high-quality hard-disk based file format? I wish to do so with just the one DVD-audio that I own, so I'm not trying to copy illegally (AFAIK!).

It's either that or find a 2nd hand DVD-audio player for £10!!!!:)

Thanks.:thumbsup:

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    FunMon, you will have to send it out via the players anlg outputs to a recorder be that, Minidisc, CDR-RW or DVD-RW or into a PC with a piece of software like Audacity as the interface between your DVD-A player and PC. You cant make digital copies of it. Digital wise I think it is limited at 48Khz ie DVD standard, so if your listening to 96khz or 192khz stereo it will never reach that level out via its digital outputs.

I have made a few minidisc recordings of my DVD-As sound pretty superb to my ears, would do the same If I owned a CD-RW deck. You cant give a digital recorder a better anlg source than out of a DVD-A player at 96khz or 192khz.

3. Arfa

Arfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Its hard. The encryption on the digital signal is pretty tough to crack, if I remember correctly the key changes every couple of seconds or so (or is that SACD?)
    There was a hacked copy of WinDVD floating around a while back, where the author had managed to hijack access to the chunk of memory where WinDVD decrypted the DVD-Audio stream, before it got sent to the sound card. It would read the data stream out of the memory area as you played the disc and would save it to disc as a raw pcm stream, all in real time. Fiddly, awkward, very hacky, massive cludge and was limited to only one or two minor revisions of WinDVD. You'll have to use the power of Google to investigate further. ;)

Edit: Actually if you just want to play them back, you should be able to do this just with WinDVD and a Creative soundcard. Got to be Creative though, pretty sure of it. Maybe it was a Creative branded version of WinDVD that came with the soundcard, my memory has gone to pot...

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    This is not an appropriate thread for this forum.

The AVForums do NOT support or condone methods of circumventing copyright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.