Ripping copy protected CD's

N

Niftyneil

Does any one know how to Rip the CD's protected by "copy controlled Technology" such as the Turin Brakes or Coldplay albums.

Is there a freeware application out there?

Neil

Niftyneil said:
Does any one know how to Rip the CD's protected by "copy controlled Technology" such as the Turin Brakes or Coldplay albums.

Is there a freeware application out there?

Neil

Google "Exact Audio Copy" and "LAME MP3 Encoder". Download both for free and install. This is not only the acknowledged cream of MP3 ripping/encoding, but has also proved faultlessly good, in my experience, at defeating copy control.

Another tip.

If your CD Drive comes with a utility to force it to ONLY read the first session of a multi-session disc, you should by-pass the copy-protection.

G

When you load the CD it will say something like "a number of components need to be installed to listen to this cd" - just hit ESC and then convert album as normal. Works 9/10 times!

Itunes worked on most CD's i had issues with SonicStage!

Yup iTunes is good and if that fails I rip with MS Media Player.
The important thing is to tell everyone that if a dialogue saying "Certain files need to be updated to play this CD" they press cancel. Otherwise a crippled CD-ROM driver is installed and you're in a real mess - presumably recoverable but I've never had to try.

You also need to think about a message that says "To play a CD with a format finalised in the late 1970s you need to change files included with your computer probably in the last 3 years." - does that sound honest to you?

Another way to stop the number of components need to be installed thing is to hold down shift when you put the cd in the drive. It stops the autoplay from running and then you might be able to copy it with whatever software. I use CDex though.

I'm having a problem with a CD, put it in and its obviously installed the software without asking me so now i insert it and it plays in the crappy little player. It will play in winamp eventually but i cant rip with nero/cdrex/windows media.

Cant see the player in either add remove programs or c:\Program Files.

Any idea how i can rip the cd? If it helps it alicia keys - songs in a minor limited edition (Remixed and unplugged cd)

BenW said:
I'm having a problem with a CD, put it in and its obviously installed the software without asking me so now i insert it and it plays in the crappy little player. It will play in winamp eventually but i cant rip with nero/cdrex/windows media.

Cant see the player in either add remove programs or c:\Program Files.

Any idea how i can rip the cd? If it helps it alicia keys - songs in a minor limited edition (Remixed and unplugged cd)

Your answer is right there in post #2 of this thread, sir! £50 says it'll work (and the software needed is free!).

I've never had a problem ripping tracks with RealPlayer eventhough some cds claim to be protected

Firstly, apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm at my wits' end with ripping a CD - JackInABox by Turin Brakes.

My CD player's autorun is off. I have tried Mediaplayer, iTunes, and the normally reliable CDex and Audiograbber.

CDex does rip it, but I get multiple jitters, even with settings on Full Paranoia. I have tried EAC (Exact Audio Copy V0.95 beta 3 without CDRDAO package) for the first time and that has what I'd loosely describe as jitters too (Status box says "timing problem").

I'm getting rather tired of recording unrippable CDs using Audacity and then chopping and labelling them.

Any tips, please?

Switch your EAC settings to 'Burst Mode'. You won't be able to tell the difference; and even though it may still say you have timing errors, I doubt you'll actually encounter these. Oh, and burst mode makes rips LIGHTENINGLY fast!!!

Alas, my EAC was already set to Burst Mode and the jitters are still very noticeable. But yes, it did rip quickly.

I get problems with 'jitters' on some CDs with EAC too. Also diary of alicia keys took an amazing time to rip, i'd guess at over 24hours!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom