1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping CDs before getting player ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Noger, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly a silly question, but am getting a HD5H in October for my birthday (I have to "wait" apparently, which sucks as bad at 38 as it did at 8 !).

Was hoping to get a bit ahead of myself in getting my CDs into ATRAC on the PC.

Have a few MP3s using Musicmatch, but that won't do ATRAC.

Is it best to get hold of SS somehow and use that before I get the thing for real ? Or is there another product that I could use in the mean time ? Any pitfalls doing this ?

Thanks.

2. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, I'd go ahead and download SS 3.1 (3.2 if you want the unsuported (assuming you are in the UK) latest version from US or Asian Sony sites, due to be released in Europe at any moment) from here http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/NWHDD/nwHDD.asp?l=en and get busy, will save you a lot of time when the new toy eventually arrives! And I don't forsee any problems with doing that.

3. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou.

I just didn't want to it to say something like "oooh you didn't have a player when you did this, you must be a bad person" sort of thing.

Will wait for 3.2 and get a rippin'.

Thanks again.

4. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Noger,

I've nothing really interesting to add, other than that's exactly what I did prior to getting my HD5 (I'm sure you'll love the little thing) - and I'm 38 in October too!

5. dq1967

dq1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)

I'm 45 next week and I'm about to order my HD5H from Amazon this minute !

:thumbsup:

6. dq1967

dq1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's it ordered ! Happy Birthday to me !

Anyone know of a source for the Sony CP-A9 cassette adaptor to use it in the car ? I'm going to post this as a new topic too.

dq

7. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regretting the choice of player already.

SS 3.2 doesn't like my CD drive (it is only 2 years old !) it reads the track information OK, but won't read the CD when try to import.

Works for the the DVD drive though (Sony !).

Funny, musicmatch has no problem ripping from that CD drive !

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How odd? You never know - your DVD drive might give yopu a better rip. Try downloading Exact Audio Copy (Google it), then running its config test. It'll tell you which drive is likely to give you the most accurate results. If this turns out to your DVD drive, you're laughing! :thumbsup:

9. Bacon_N_Cheese

Bacon_N_Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I've already ripped all of my cds I wanted it in preperation for my HD5. Can't wait!

10. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks will give the config test a go, just seemed a bit odd at the time.

Thought it might be something else grabbing the CD drive first, so uninstalled Musicmatch, and stopped Windows Media Player from playing CD's but still the same.

Considering the bad name SS seems to have , I found it (well, 3.2 anyway) not much different to Musicmatch. All seems quite easy really. Perhaps I am just odd !

11. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, whadya know, the DVD drive IS better :smashin:

12. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought so! I have a DVD-ROM drive, which despite not being the greatest (at least, I think it won't be given the price I paid for the whole kit and caboodle), it's still better than my CD drive (and miles quicker, too!)