Ripping Advice

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Vandraman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Vandraman

Vandraman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just started ripping my Blu-ray collection and I could use some advice about the process and the settings to use.

So far I've used MakeMKV to unlock the files and copy them onto the HDD of my PC. (taking around 25 mins per disc)

Then I've been making two copies using Handbrake:
    1) 1080p RF 18 High Profile .mkv with passthru AC3 audio (around 4.5GB final result, taking around 2 hours)
    2) 720p Ipad .m4v preset on Handbrake (around 1.5GB final file size, around 1 hour to finish)

I have hundreds of discs to get through, am anxious not to waste time. I've only done a few discs to try to get it right. So far the files seem of good quality.

The idea is to store the entire collection on a NAS and use a PS3 or similar streamer to view the big files via wired ethernet on the Projector, keeping the smaller files for mobile devices over wifi.

My question is, is it worth making these two copies, or should I use an uncompressed .mkv rip on the NAS for high quality viewing on the projector, and maybe just make the quick smaller files for tablets and mobiles? Storage space on the NAS is not a huge issue, but smaller files mean easier backups and need less bandwidth to stream, right?

Any advice much appreciated!

Setup:
    Room 1: PC: i7 930 12gbRAM Windows 7 64-bit
    Room 2: JVC HD350, Onkyo tx-sr800amp, PS3, Panasonic BD130, Virgin Tivo + Router
    Room 3: NAS Qnap 412
    Gigabit wired connections between PC and router and NAS
    Also: Ipad; Android smartphone.

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    If you dont mind doing the two copies I think thats a better approach and it will save space and the media will work with most mainstream media players e.g PS3/PS4 or other devices.

If you go down the path of raw BD video in mkv then your going to need a dedicated media player and those files will eat up the space on your NAS, you've seen the file sizes generated from MakeMKV

3. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,977
    I'd certainly say that at 4.5GB for 1080p on a projector if the screen is anyway near a large size then you're compromising quite a bit on quality.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    Not all movies will come out at 4.5GB or thereabouts with constant quality, some movies will be more susceptible to compression and others will not, RF18 is considered the sweet spot.

You can always up the bitrate on the encodes try RF16 or thereabouts, will give even higher quality.

5. Vandraman

Vandraman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for the replies.

Having trouble playing the larger files. PS3 lists them as unsupported media and the Blu Ray player (Panasonic 130) won't play them.

They play fine on the PC using VLC media player. Any suggestions? Do I need a dedicated streamer like a Roku, or a Popcorn Hour thingummy?

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    Cant recall their being any problems with videos from Handbrake on PS3, your using the high profile preset right ?

The Panasonic is another issue, Panny make terrible digital media players to begin with, Panny don't do AC3 in MP4 at least that's what the manual for your model states. It's possible to do MP4 with dual audio tracks with stereo AAC as first but not too many media players are smart enough to give you an option to prefer the second AC3 track.

In case it's not the media try installing Mezzmo Or TVMobili on your PC just the demo version and stream the files to both devices and see if they work, the old Twonky server on QNAP NAS is a pile of junk. You can actually get TVMobili for QNAP NAS thats what I use on the same NAS you have.

7. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Sounds like you're using the right settings for good quality. What speed setting is the H264 encoder at? The default handbrake setting will be medium, which is a good compromise between size and quality. One notch down is 'slow' which slows the encoding a bit but gives you a slightly smaller size and slightly better quality. I occasionally use the slow setting if it's a film I really like and will watch quite often.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Vandraman

Vandraman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am using High Profile, outputting as mkv which the PS3 doesn't seem to like. A lot of posts suggest mkv isn't supported by ps3 but this is such a fast moving sector (software and firmware updates and protection changing all the time it seems) it is hard to keep up! Annoyingly my family keep insisting I do things other than read avforums and rip disks...

Having read around a bit more I've ordered a Mede8er 600 streamer which will hopefully be a one-stop solution for digital files.

9. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    PS3 does not support mkv so you should not be using that only mp4/m4v for PS3. You can make existing mkv files playable by running them through MKVtoMP4.

The QNAP media server cannot transcode content in real time like a PC server can which would give the illusion of mkv support on the PS3.

The Mede8er on the other hand should play the mkv files.

10. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I wouldn't use the PS3 as a media player anyway. With cinavia it's pointless.

11. witchdrash

witchdrash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    My own experience doing the same is simply rip one high quality m4v, depending on the size of your iPad you may find that the size is not a big deal, after all how many do you want on there at once.

The PS3 is a perfectly good media streamer, and I use mine pretty regularly, just need a decent network and a DLNA compatible share.

As for ripping, I had a lot of success setting my pc to rip on auto play, so while doing other things all you're doing is switching discs. When you have half an hour you can sit down an sort out artwork, tags, nice naming of files etc.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  12. Vandraman

Vandraman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Witchdrash -I was hoping to stream the films over wifi to the ipad - sadly, this doesn't seem to work except with dvd-sized rips. The ipad we have is only 16GB, which barely holds the apps data. Music is Cloud-based and I was hoping I could achieve a similar outcome with films. Perhaps I'll have to get an android tablet with an SD slot - would be useful to have lots of kids films for holiday.

13. Vandraman

Vandraman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two further questions to tap your expertise:

1) Any reason I shouldn't rip from PC straight to NAS over the ethernet cable? If you've done this, do you find it less reliable or slower?

2) Can you encode using Handbrake (running on the PC) to read an uncompressed 25GB Mkv rip (stored on the NAS) and write it straight back to the NAS as a roughly 5GB version of the same file? I've always worked with files directly on the PC HDD and then transferred the finished file across but maybe I'm wasting time that way? Again, is this slower or less reliable?

SO grateful for all the help and expertise on these forums!

14. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    1) Don't do it, this will put a terrible strain on the network link and could cause the link to drop crashing the conversion/ripping.

2) For the same reason as 1 not a good idea.