Ripped top server but gaps in playback?

Paul Reading

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been ripping my CD's to FLAC using XLD on a mac and saving the files to a QNAP NAS. I have told Plex on the QNAP where my music is stored. I am trying to play back classical music and things like Dark Side of the Moon, which notionally have tracks but they are really just markers because the music is continuous.

So here is the problem:

I have two Amplifiers and if I use the "NET" function they both see the QNAP on the network and play back the tracks perfectly as though I was simply playing a CD. However the tiny LCD screens are no good if you have a lot of CD's so I have been trying to use apps on my iPad. I have been using mconnect and MusicLife in both cases I can point the source to either the QNAP or to PLEX. However in all cases when you play Dark Sire of the Moon there is a short pause as it transitions from track 1 to track 2 etc and I cannot find a way to fix this.

(Interestingly if I point either app at the QNAP album art is hit and miss and some tracks simply won't play. If I point them at PLEX not only do I get all the album art but Plex also sorts out the tracks into original CD's whereas just pointing the apps directly at the QNAP results in some cd's getting mixed up with other by the same artist, and all tracks play.)

Is this a known problem that I can fix. I have eliminated the possibility of it being an amplifier as both behave the same way. So I can only think of three causes:-

1. The apps I am using for playback
2. The way XLD ripped the music
3. The QNAP

2 & 3 seem to be out of the question because pointing the amps directly using their own GUI results in perfect playback. Which suggests that it is the MusicLife or mconnect apps that are the problem but can they both be wrong and if so what is the fix.

I have been ripping my CD's to FLAC using XLD on a mac and saving the files to a QNAP NAS. I have told Plex on the QNAP where my music is stored. I am trying to play back classical music and things like Dark Side of the Moon, which notionally have tracks but they are really just markers because the music is continuous.

So here is the problem:

I have two Amplifiers and if I use the "NET" function they both see the QNAP on the network and play back the tracks perfectly as though I was simply playing a CD. However the tiny LCD screens are no good if you have a lot of CD's so I have been trying to use apps on my iPad. I have been using mconnect and MusicLife in both cases I can point the source to either the QNAP or to PLEX. However in all cases when you play Dark Sire of the Moon there is a short pause as it transitions from track 1 to track 2 etc and I cannot find a way to fix this.

(Interestingly if I point either app at the QNAP album art is hit and miss and some tracks simply won't play. If I point them at PLEX not only do I get all the album art but Plex also sorts out the tracks into original CD's whereas just pointing the apps directly at the QNAP results in some cd's getting mixed up with other by the same artist, and all tracks play.)

Is this a known problem that I can fix. I have eliminated the possibility of it being an amplifier as both behave the same way. So I can only think of three causes:-

1. The apps I am using for playback
2. The way XLD ripped the music
3. The QNAP

2 & 3 seem to be out of the question because pointing the amps directly using their own GUI results in perfect playback. Which suggests that it is the MusicLife or mconnect apps that are the problem but can they both be wrong and if so what is the fix.
It's most likely the apps you are using not initiating gapless playback considering it works fine from the amps themselves - I have MConnect, but on Android and not iOS, there is a toggle in the settings of the Android app to turn on gapless playback - do you have that option on iOS/iPadOS? I read somewhere recently that iOS 16 has borked UPnP?

Screenshot_20221107-115246.png
Screenshot_20221107-115254.png

I have it turned on in mconnect but this setting does not exist in MusicLife. Either way it does not fix the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom