Question Ripped blu-ray streamed locally vs. playing blu ray?

FaxFan2002

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm just in the process for ripping all my old dvd's on to a NAS - basically to declutter (she who must be obeyed). I'm doing makemkv so no quality is lost, which I'm happy with end results streaming via plex and a nvidia shield.

Looking at what's left I have an awful lot of blu-rays, so the question is - if I do the same would I lose quality ripping and streaming them locally?

What are peoples thoughts / experiences on this?

I must admit to being a little apprehensive as I've spent a lot on my setup (LG C7 oled, Oppo-203, Arcam 550, Monitor Audio speakers, XTZ sub, atmos speakers - 7.1.4) and don't want to lose that quality.

edit: network connectivity is fully switched at 1Gb where available so shouldn't be an issue (can also vlan and qos if required).

If you 1:1 rip, you won’t lose any quality. Streaming will of course lose some quality. You’ll just have to try it on your setup & see whether the loss in quality is noticeable to you or not.

No difference in quality of the source whatsoever. The only thing that may affect the quality of your viewing would be the streaming hardware (in this case your Nvidia Shield).

If you 1:1 rip, you won’t lose any quality. Streaming will of course lose some quality. You’ll just have to try it on your setup & see whether the loss in quality is noticeable to you or not.
Why would local streaming cause a loss of quality?

Why would local streaming cause a loss of quality?
I was under the impression that he’d need to transcode with the Nvidia shield.
Looked up the Nvidia Shield Plex app & the shield seems to be able to support direct play so shouldn’t have loss of quality :smashin:

Ah okay.

You got me wondering, because I do mostly transcode my BR discs down to about 1/3 their size, for streaming to TVs. When I watch in the cinema room I use the actual disc for full quality.

Now I think about it, I did once stream a pre-transcode full rip (can't remember why, laziness probably) and it was fine using Kodi. I.e. the network could cope.

When I make the switch to 4K it might be a different matter!

Certainly not going to rip any 4k UHD. I will probably take the opportunity to rip the kids blu-ray orientated discs and store them.

I rip Blu-Ray discs plus a fair number of 4k UHD's now with storage on 24tb NAS and playback via the Shield. Would rip all my discs if I could afford the storage space! Quality is superb (always go for 1:1) but the ease in which you can switch movies/TV/music videos via Plex is just incredible. I also tend to add named chapters to my rips of music video BR's and this make for playback much easier as you can select the sing you want via Plex and off you go!

I rip Blu-Ray discs plus a fair number of 4k UHD's now with storage on 24tb NAS and playback via the Shield. Would rip all my discs if I could afford the storage space! Quality is superb (always go for 1:1) but the ease in which you can switch movies/TV/music videos via Plex is just incredible. I also tend to add named chapters to my rips of music video BR's and this make for playback much easier as you can select the sing you want via Plex and off you go!

What connectivity do you have between the NAS and Shield?

What connectivity do you have between the NAS and Shield?

All hard wired ethernet with a 24 x port switch under the stairs. Well worth the disruption in putting in the cables.

Size of 4k rips can be an issue - most are 50-60gb but a few in the 80Gb range. Has got me thinking about swapping out my 4 x 6Tb drives for 4 x 12Tb!

That's good to know - I've got flat white cat6e cable so gigabit connectivity. I'm starting with DVD's and "kids" blu-ray to check everything out (and so I can actually find things in the dvd cupboard!!!). Already running out of space but i've got a tiny NAS (6TB - also a qnap NAS - 653A) so quickly filling up. Could be a summer upgrade job :)

That's good to know - I've got flat white cat6e cable so gigabit connectivity. I'm starting with DVD's and "kids" blu-ray to check everything out (and so I can actually find things in the dvd cupboard!!!). Already running out of space but i've got a tiny NAS (6TB - also a qnap NAS - 653A) so quickly filling up. Could be a summer upgrade job :)

It does get a bit addictive. Started off using Kodi but found Plex a nicer interface. Best advice is to rip 1:1 so you have best possible quality and use something like MakeMKV to strip out foreign language tracks and subtitles. I tend to rip the extras too and add these in using Plex naming conventions and view then after and delete if no repeat value. Chapters are a little tricky but once you know all quite easy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom