Rip off QVC.....

fastra

Obviously this will come as no great surprise to most of us really, but when I saw this a few days ago it really narked me on 2 counts!

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/walk.yah.UKEL~UK21

... item number 557830

1st - is the lack of model number!
This primarily prevents any cross checking for price comparisons.
I rang them to ask for a model number.
"Its 1080p sir"
"No it isn't - thats the type of TV"
"er......., I can give you Samsungs helpline number and they will tell you!"
"No thanks, bye!"

What a complete waste of time, you'd think that a 'retailer' with the 'reputation' of QVC would at least know the model number.
I emailed their customer services about this, they rang me back, once again offering me Samsungs helpline number. Apparently QVC don't list model numbers and rely on their suppliers to help out - ridiculous!!!
I rang Samsung and an now waiting for a reply.

2nd - I actually think the TV is a LE40F86BDX, which if correct, can be had for arround the £1000 mark.
So nearly some £400 quid difference!
I pity the people that actually just buy it from these idiots - and I suspect that theres a fair few that do to, lulled into thinking what a bargain they've got because of QVC's 'big sell'

...of course if its not an F model then I take all this back - :)

vipergrm

I bet the actual selling was cringe worthy. How can they sit there and harp on about how great a product is if they don´t even know what model it is? You´re right, I also feel partly sorry for the people who buy it from them. On the other hand, it´s their own fault for not looking into it ;)

Curly99

Distinguished Member
so you base QVC as a rip off purely on the fact that they don't know 1 tv model number, maybe there customer service people don't know the number and are doing the next best helpful thing and giving you Samsung's number.... just a thought.

Curly

crashuk

so you base QVC as a rip off purely on the fact that they don't know 1 tv model number, maybe there customer service people don't know the number and are doing the next best helpful thing and giving you Samsung's number.... just a thought.

Curly

If they dont know teh model number how are you going to find it out from samy? er yes its black and the screen is rectangle they think your a nutter.

crashuk

Samsung 40" 1080P Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Pedestal Stand

Item no.556515 has no picture how do you know what is what.

I remember i bought a phillips shaver from them for around £65 it was £99 everywhere else at the time. ;)

evo7

i seen this tv being sold on qvc and it was a samsung le40f86bd.one thing i will say is what is the point moaning about qvc,s prices as there not forcing you to buy it from them and in all fairness you can send things back to them within 30 days for a refund which most other companys will not do.lets face it there can only be one company thats the cheapest so do you moan about every other company that charges more.if you dont like the price dont buy,simple as that.

i hear tesco,s are selling beans 3p more than asda and they dont have a model number on them it just says value,quick somone post a thread

motr

i seen this tv being sold on qvc and it was a samsung le40f86bd.one thing i will say is what is the point moaning about qvc,s prices as there not forcing you to buy it from them and in all fairness you can send things back to them within 30 days for a refund which most other companys will not do.lets face it there can only be one company thats the cheapest so do you moan about every other company that charges more.if you dont like the price dont buy,simple as that.

i hear tesco,s are selling beans 3p more than asda and they dont have a model number on them it just says value,quick somone post a thread

Is it just the QVC website that doesn't mention the model number? ie did the presenter mention it?

I am sure I am no different to most people, but if I am going to buy something like a tv, a piece of hifi equipment and even a car, I go on the internet looking for deals relating to what I want.

I guess if you want a tv and are not that knowledgable, would you spend that amount of money without knowing what you are actually buying?

LOL Beans and tvs - 20p against £1300+ - we can spare 20p without thinking, I know I can't spare £1300 just like that.

GrahamC

If QVC don't give a model number how can their avertisment be judged to be honest and truthful? Do you count the pixels or what for 1080? :rotfl:

Price is not the issue because as posted you can chose to buy or not but the model number is for more than a price check.

lynnzal

I tend to research thoroughly any product that I intend to purchase. My wife walks in a shop and if it looks 'nice' she brings it home (ask her what car she drives and she'll tell you the colour). My parents will believe anything a salesperson tells them.

People will pay for 40" lcd's without knowing a thing about them.

fastra

Curly

Fair point - but I think I covered myself with my ending line!

QVC don't show model numbers on any of their items - so my assumption isn't based on 1 item really! And yes their customer services don't know the model number (as mentioned in my post a few times) ... and I am waiting for Samsung to ring me back, as, again, mentioned in my post.

This could be construed as an attempt to mislead people or just plain laziness.
Of course no-one is forcing me to buy from them, its just when they give it the hard sell and mention things like 'an unbeatable deal' at 'fantastic price' it just makes me laugh.

I suppose my main gripe is the lack of model number!
I mean, how hard can it be to display such a crucial piece of information??

motr

This could be construed as an attempt to mislead people or just plain laziness.
Of course no-one is forcing me to buy from them, its just when they give it the hard sell and mention things like 'an unbeatable deal' at 'fantastic price' it just makes me laugh.

I guess there must be a market for people who will believe anything they are told.

evo7

qvc do put up model numbers for electrical items just not all the time.as the other week they had a hard drive recorder on and i took note of the number so i could look on hear about it.

the tv that was on qvc was a SAMSUNG LE40F86BD 100% SURE so no need to call samsung

steve1711

Standard Member
Agree with EVO7 on model of TV. I actually watched the full presentation on QVC, having a Samsung le40m model of my own. If you watched the program they gave enough info on what model it was - full 1080p and 100Hz - ie not the le40m as it is the new 100Hz model.

Agree their prices are not always the best, and I bought my tv elsewhere with a 5 year guarantee included. But for many items the 30 day return policy is very good.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom