Rip-Off Britain

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by NicolasB, Mar 15, 2007.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    I'm in a bad mood this evening :mad: and feel like grumbling about something. I think a good thing to grumble about would be the price of AV equipment in the UK. I therefore invite suggestions of AV items whose UK price is spectacularly bloated compared with the price of the same item abroad.

My first nomination is the cost of upgrading a Bryston SP1.7 processor to an SP2. In america this costs $1195 + shipping. The cost in the UK is somewhere in the £1600-£1700 range.

Now, you might try and defend PMC (Bryston's UK distributor) by saying "oh, but they're not able to do the upgrade themselves, they have to ship it to Bryston's factory in Canada and back." This is true. However, while this would indeed increase the total price, what this actually means is that PMC want to charge you roughly £900 to do absolutely nothing except send a parcel to Canada and back. :eek:

Other suggestions are welcome!

2. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    :D the speakers i like a defintive technology i pay the same price in pounds as they are in dollars .. hows that for a stitch up :eek: when i look at them on ebay in the usa they go for a 5th of the price i offererd a bloke the other day full (new) price in dollars for a second hand centre speaker he thought i was mad and would not sell it to me but i was getting it half price lol isnt that a rip of british island ..

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    i guess we can put anything american on this list then...

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Of course the other factor when buying esp from USA,which really does add to the costs is the duty....that's where the Govt takes its cut.

5. ninehours

ninehours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
  6. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    a small one maybe but enter the dragon HD-DVD hmv,hear we go !drive and park the car near the shop.pay for parking space walk to hmv (stopping to buy panini small coke on way)walk round shop to find film,(its out of stock).BACK to car drive to next shopping centre to pay more parking ,find shop,find film,pay......£26 for film,back to car ,drive home watch film........or....right click £13 movietyme,and its on your door mat.

i honestly have no clue why anyone would shop in the uk.its an insult to your poket and your common sence.
    IMO.:)

7. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Or bargain Britain? Having read good reviews, I thought a pair of Sennheiser CX300's would be nice. French based e-shop, named after a jungle have them at:
    White 49€ = approx £33.50 or silver 57.55€ = £39.40
    UK branch of same e-shop
    White £18.85 and silver £17.99

And the French don't even have the black version (£16.15)

And of course being part of a free market without economic borders, I can't buy them from the UK and get them posted over to France because they don't allow that.

So its not just rip off britain.

8. russelkhan

russelkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I just picked up a Creek Evo amp and cd player combo in Singapore for the equivalent of £730, and as far as I'm aware the standard UK price is £1000. I was pretty shocked to find a UK product cheaper overseas than it is at home.