1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Off Britain?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wolfman310, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can purchase a Denon 2805 In America for less than £300, yes Three Hundred Pounds!

You can have great savings from Canton speakers by importing.

So, it seems to me like Rip off britain isn't changing anytime soon.

Where is the cheapest place for the 2805 incidentally?

Thanks

2. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree!!!! We pay a premium for most things in this country - Peter Tyson (one of the forum advertisers) has it listed just under £520

3. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Peter Tyson is one of the very cheapest places you can buy in this country.

Is a shame nowhere in the states ships, there are places that will do, so long as you have an American express card.

We get screwed over all over in this country :(

4. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    got mine from peter tyson ordered it at 3:00pm and managed to arrange next day delivery for a £10

£530 all in. Which I think is a great price,

5. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That is a great price, only problem is i only have £350 for my amp, £250 for my speakers, and then i got to findd money to replace my dvd player :(

So, i will keep looking for the 2805 cheaper :)

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Agree, it is a rip-off country.

Being charged taking out money from ATM.
    Overpriced trains/tubes/cinematickets/footballtickets/petrol/dining/cars/phonecalls/utilitybills, and the list just goes on.

But UK people has also contributed to build up the rip off Britain. The housing market! Everyone wants to become big landlords and property developers and the big property builders are also contributing to outrageous prices. Seriously, if you look at what you get in terms of design/features/quality/space - UK houses/flats are probably the least value for money in Europe/US/Canada, and even Hong Kong! I know, I've been checking the prices and looked at properties there last year when I was there.

Oops, went a bit out of the amps, but I just had to let it out.

Oh, it must be said that US is a single standardized 400m people market, and you just have to be price competitive, and Canton's are German brand, so I would probably guess that they are a bit cheaper in the domestic market.

Wasabi

7. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much you have to pay in a SHOP for Wharfedale Diamond 9s, or Tannoy Fusions over there? 9.1 is 190€/pair and F1 240€/pair here, couple of tens can be taken off. At least the MSRP in UK seems to be higher, for UK speakers.

Also Finland is the promised land of taxes, especially cars are 50-100% too expensive here. We are going past Cuba in car ages, which isn't very good for a 'high technology' (in some things) country of ours. :rolleyes:

8. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I find the council tax is the biggest rip off, blimey, costs more than the mortgage.

Electrical items always seem to be the same value in dollars as it does pounds which seems odd.

9. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The downside, of course, is that you have to live in the USA :)

(which probably negates any saving unless you import :confused: in which case I seem to have lost the point of this post :rolleyes: )

10. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You can get the Denon 2805 in Singapore for now about S$1000, which I think works out to around GBP330-ish. 3805 was last price checked by me at S$1400, which works out to be only around GBP400. And these are considered to be the "expensive" Japanese brands for hifi/AV stuff. Pioneer around about the same, I believe, but Yamaha, Marantz both a bit cheaper.

Remember also, that as well as the volume market, the competitiveness that brings, UK also has the dreaded VAT to worry about, whereas prices quoted in states are normally quoted without taxes as each state has its own State Tax it applies to goods sale. Buy in Texas at 0% states tax, but Utah at 8% (if I recall correclty). Sinagpore GST (equiv of VAT) is now at 5%, but is used as a proce negotiation point between paying cash and dumping it on a CC.

I can also buy a Quad 909 power amp here for around GBP650 - a saving somewhere equivalent to VAT..... I am stilll tempted.

There is a HK dealer on ebay that sells at these prices, and ships overseas, if you do a search, and the voltages, features are pretty much what you'd need for Europe market.

11. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think id found the guy on ebay that does that,. but his prices are only £15 less than say going to peter tyson :(