1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip-off Britain....Mid-End Projector Pricing!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dealmaker, May 26, 2004.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A colleague of mine (who happens to work and live in the USA) asked for some advice on his first projector.

I recommended that with his budget he purchase the Marantz VP 12 S3 (a £9000 projector which you can get here for about £6700 ish)

he just called me to say that he has just placed his order for the Marantz with a "free" ceiling mount for an all in shipped price of $7900 !!! :eek:

thats £4300 including a two year warranty!!! Here that would be knocking on the door of seven grand! :confused:

Makes you think what the importers and distributors must be making here? :censored:

2. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would recommend he seriously re-considers, there is a number of technical differences between the US model and UK version (hense the price difference), this had been looked into before in detail and I can't recall all the differences but they were enough to put a couple of my customers off, also what about the warranty??

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Neil,

He is an ex-pat living in the States - he has no intention of bringing the unit here - rather it will be installed in his "den" which also doubles as his home cinema.

The point of my post is simply to highlight the disparity between US and UK pricing for a similar product, which in both cases is imported from Japan.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well £1k of that will go on vat....

ad

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not necessarily - the Americans have heavy Import taxes, tariffs as well as local and state taxes

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You said it in the title. Rip-Off Britain. Anyone who tries to justify it is kidding themselves. And any manufacturer/distributor who says they won't honour the warranty are simply trying to maintain the disparity. After all the product comes out of the same factory from the same manufacturer with (one would hope) the same quality controls etc. If they don't want them sold/used in other countries why fit switching power supplies and multiple menu languages.

Come on maufacturers and distributors - we weren't born yesterday. But unfortunately we continue to pay the over-inflated prices and keep swelling their bank accounts.

7. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yep, virtualy everything in the UK is at rip off prices. We (I'm sure) all look around the net for the best prices but a lot of folk pay shop prices. It's amazing that cars made in the UK are cheaper on the continent than 2 miles from where they were made in the UK.
    There is always some excellent complex reason why we should pay more, makes you :censored: sick.

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    This makes me laugh, so friggin english. Moan lile fudge but still stump up the cash.

Thats why it is so dear, because we will pay for it, few years back when they tried to push up fuel in the states people just stop buying it and demonstrated, like there was no tomorrow. our US counter parts won`t pay it if its too dear.

The english however just bitch alot then pay for it, when there is no audience to see them.

Look at house prices now, people are still paying shed loads and over stretching there bugets, thus just fueling the fire further.(ti`ll the bubble burst that is)

Yes we are ripped off, but if you pay for it who`s fault is it?

Im still not conviced that the US S3 is any diff from the UK one, BUT neil was right about the Warranty issue.
    Which as messiah says ii a complete cop out by marantz to force us to stick to our over priced region.

:(

In defence though, you have to except that our market here is smaller which will always inflate prices a bit(£500 quid max not £2000)

(This was not directed to anyone here but to british consumers in general. It seems we cant say no juging by the rising consumer debt levels. Looks like the 10-15 year cycle will end in tears again)

9. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Gandley. Something I have said for years. Prices are inflated because we stupidly pay them. We only get the the greedy businesses we deserve. We even export our greed, French house prices are on the increase much to the chagrin of the French, because of English buyers.

10. satlogic

satlogic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying a projector from the USA - and getting it shipped over here. Anyone know of any issues (other than tax) that I need to be aware of.

11. jason_one

jason_one
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    you could try nomatica.com a bit closer to home? ;)

i would not want a projector shiped from the U.S.A :thumbsdow

1) more likely to have dead pixels :(

2)just think if it stoped working and you had to send it back [if thay would let you ]:eek:

but don't let me put you off just some things to think about before buying
    from far far away :beer:

se-ya jas