Rip off Britain alive and well!

Faust

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I see little has changed in "Rip off Britain"! I was perusing the American Panasonic website today looking at what the American consumer gets when he/she purchases a 37" Viera Plasma panel. Well as you might expect it is a Hi Def panel complete with a Hi Def tuner and a cable card tuner etc. and all this for £2499 US Dollars (with pedestal), which at todays exchange rate is £1419. The price for the same t.v. on the English Panasonic website £2345.99. Almost the same in Pounds as it is in US Dollars. We might have a different tax regime than America but that would not explain such a massive disparity. I really do get fed up to the back teeth with rip off Britain.

Yea, we know.... I wish sometimes I was doing a bit more ripping. I assure you the retailers are not pocketing the difference. You know this can't be so of course, even the web boys only go so far on price. Some of them are making £50 on a box sale of £2k, which accounts for their reticence on warranty problems. They can't afford anything to go wrong.

Hey hold on a minute, you are being unfair.

Here in the UK, you get a more expensive plug.

hehe One advantage I think that in the US most warrentys are only 30 days, not the year and also the SOGA protection we have in the UK?

Sod warranties.

You shouldn't be paying for a warranty. The damn thing should defo NOT be breaking in the first 12 months any.

No excuse at all!!!

One thing though that is actually true, hifi equipment is far more expensive in the US, even more so than the relationship between plasmas UK\US.

At least all the amps I looked at were when i got my rxv540 18 months ago

MAW said:
Yea, we know.... I wish sometimes I was doing a bit more ripping. I assure you the retailers are not pocketing the difference. You know this can't be so of course, even the web boys only go so far on price. Some of them are making £50 on a box sale of £2k, which accounts for their reticence on warranty problems. They can't afford anything to go wrong.

That is why I was careful not to point the finger at anyone. I would dearly love to see a costs breakdown from production line to consumer purchase though, as someone is clearly making a significant killing here. Why is it always the Brits though - has it something to do with the word "Mug" stamped on our foreheads?

Faust said:
The price for the same t.v. on the English Panasonic website £2345.99. Almost the same in Pounds as it is in US Dollars.

Do you think that Americans pay is based on exchange rate??

You have to make it relative, not based on an exchange rate.

Average American wage in average state $32,000

Average UK wage £27,000

So the higher price for the USA markets basically means the same price as they earn a few thousand more a year. no rip off at all, just basic math

It's mostly to do with production volume. The production run for the US or US/Japan models, since they use the same TV system, can be many times that for the European models. That and the various tax differences makes up most of the difference. Believe me, neither the manufacturers or retailers are making much, if any, money at the moment.

Ours is actually cheaper than the US model

average US person on average salary= 12.8% of years pay to buy the plasma
Average UK person on average salary= 11.5% of years pay to buy the plasma

Its all been said before, and most of it is wind and p--s.

Lets not forget how America treated its own(in New Orleans)

I'll gladly pay more and be treated like a human being.

av2diefor said:
Lets not forget how America treated its own(in New Orleans)

I'll gladly pay more and be treated like a human being.
Ouch, I think that was a bit uncalled for. I am sceptical that we would have done any better.

Rahmorak said:
Ouch, I think that was a bit uncalled for. I am sceptical that we would have done any better.

Reckon?

I had family there and beleive me the "news" missed a lot.

Its still very third world in most parts, i spent five years there.

I was very "pro" USA for the pricing but looking at the big picture.........

Anyway, lets keep it AV :)

Rahmorak said:

The bit that got me was the floating bodies no one was picking
them up for days would we have done that I dont think so

Terry

PS
Dont get me wrong I like W problem was he was on holiday again :cool:

dino2021 said:
Do you think that Americans pay is based on exchange rate??

You have to make it relative, not based on an exchange rate.

Average American wage in average state $32,000

Average UK wage £27,000

So the higher price for the USA markets basically means the same price as they earn a few thousand more a year. no rip off at all, just basic math

Well if you watched the BBC News Monday regarding the talks about Turkey joining the EU they quoted the average UK salary at £17,600 so not sure where £27,000 comes from, so we are paying well over the odds for our products.

Same subject again - just different thread ...

Same defensive statements from retailers ...

Same defensive statements from punters to probably justify (to themselves) their rip-off purchases ...

Argument goes on and on ... :boring:

FACT: WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF HERE IN EUROPE !!!

AND WE'LL ALL REALISE THIS SOON ENOUGH WHEN PRICES START TO DROP DRAMATICALLY PROBABLY EVEN BEFORE CHRISTMAS NEVER MIND THE NEW YEAR.

I must say - I do like the tactic of AV-Sales in showing how many units are left on their Special Offer - adds a sense of urgency, stress and uncertainty UNTIL THE NEXT PRICE DROP !!! :devil:

Gussie :)

Amen!

New Orleans has nothing whatsoever to do with being ripped off for electrical goods!!!!

I'd rather pay the prices people in india pay for bread but I don't live there so I can't boo hoo. Its not any cheaper cos their wages are lower, prolly costs em more relativly.

Your pretty much making stupid idiotic comparisons like that.

FACT is, we're being taken the **** out of, Panasonic for instance are HOLDING UP SUPPLY ON PURPOSE TO KEEP PRICES ARTIFICIALLY INFLATED.

Its disgusting, you'll have to come up with some far more coherant common sense arguments than all the ones we've heard already to justify that.

(There is no justification which is the whole point, so don't take it as a personal attack) But it does sure annoy me, its because of peoples relaxed attitude in the UK that this happens, not only do we pay stupid prices, WE ALMOST ENJOY DOING IT!.

many a true word said - we seem to enjoy being ripped off :D

the point is that american comsumers will not tolerate bad service and rip off pricing

also have a look at denon amp prices in the usa - about half uk prices!! - one retailer tried to tell me that denon amps supplied to the uk are better quality and tuned to english ears :eek:

why is a lot of av gear also cheaper in say germany - verified by the number of forum members who have bought amps etc from germany??

i would hazard a guess that there are no more discerning av/audio users than the us enthusiasts

i'm not blaming uk retailers - their prices are dictated by what manufacturers charge them

robo989 said:
Amen!

New Orleans has nothing whatsoever to do with being ripped off for electrical goods!!!!

I'd rather pay the prices people in india pay for bread but I don't live there so I can't boo hoo. Its not any cheaper cos their wages are lower, prolly costs em more relativly.

Your pretty much making stupid idiotic comparisons like that.

FACT is, we're being taken the **** out of, Panasonic for instance are HOLDING UP SUPPLY ON PURPOSE TO KEEP PRICES ARTIFICIALLY INFLATED.

Its disgusting, you'll have to come up with some far more coherant common sense arguments than all the ones we've heard already to justify that.

(There is no justification which is the whole point, so don't take it as a personal attack) But it does sure annoy me, its because of peoples relaxed attitude in the UK that this happens, not only do we pay stupid prices, WE ALMOST ENJOY DOING IT!.

Well it has a lot to do with it.

Most of the extra we pay is tax, to the government.

Look past the selfish (i want a cheaper plasma) and the BIG picture will be revealed.

Well my friend from the US does virtually the same kind of work as me and earns slightly more than me an hour.Thats after converting it to £english. Don't even start me on fuel prices..

Well, no use bitching about it! Living standards are higher in USA, at least from the middle up. Which is everyone here. Robo, limited supply of Panasonic products is not because they can maintain the price, they know full well how many buyers they are losing to Pioneer! I'm little more privy to their inner workings than you, but this 'policy' would make no sense at all. I wonder, and only wonder you must understand, whether this delay is actually them noticing that there have been some problems with the 1st lot. That's good news for you guys, well me too really. This whole 'rip off' bit has been discussed before, I don't know how or even if, we are really being ripped off. The tax situation accounts for all but about £100 or so in the price of a PWD8. What that 8% is for I could not say. Cost of higher consumer rights? Voltage change, ie economies of scale in US as suggested above? I think this whole discussion does not help, any Yanks reading this, or Aussies, will just put it down to whingeing poms. 200 years ago we were famous for conquering the world, now famous for whingeing. Buy your plasmas from the USA, you are free to do so.

Faust said:
Well if you watched the BBC News Monday regarding the talks about Turkey joining the EU they quoted the average UK salary at £17,600 so not sure where £27,000 comes from, so we are paying well over the odds for our products.

Mmmmm, I have heard that it was nearer to £25k :eek: , so one things for sure, statistics aren't worth a ****.

QUOTE=MAW]
Buy your plasmas from the USA, you are free to do so.[/QUOTE]

Yep, if you want to pay 30% plus in vat and import duties. Been there and bougnt the t-shirt. :mad:

I believe it is widely known that the cost of living is high in the UK - I personally know plenty of people who have or are emigrating. We have the choice (usually) :)

I could see myself living overseas one day.

£27,000 must be the London average, can't possibly be the UK. I live in a very expensive area (housing) near London, good job & only earn a tad more than that.

robo989 said:
Amen!

For one who is promoting the concept of coherent arguments,I would like to know how you can quote the "FACT" that Panasonic are deliberately holding up supply?
Do you work for Panasonic?
If not,you have absolutely no basis to state this as a fact.
Is there any EVIDENCE that prices are being 'artificially maintained' as a result of this so-called deliberate holding back of supplies?

You are full of conspiracy theory which is just that...theory,with no substance!

I think the price of the Pv500 is about right for the UK market, as at the moment generally its £2495, Pioneer is hitting £2799, so are Pioneer colluding in this conspiracy to keep prices high? Panny might have dropped their price if Pioneer had introduced the 436 for about £2500 in the high street.

I like many others want to see prices fall, especially in the mext 28 days as JL would give me more money back :lease: , but its not going to happen :( .

Simple fact of the matter, is that more and more people are buying into the HD Era and Plasmas/LCD. Obviously what pushing demand is a number of things, Xbox360/Sky HD, then theres the advertising in the high street. HD is being firmly being pushed at the average guy on the street. Just need to walk into Dixons/Currys and see that they have HD at the front of the shop. No wonder demand is going through the roof.

JL had 800 units delivered on friday, I bet they wont last long! Demand is there so why drop prices? Thats the way Panny will be thinking.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom