RIP NHS Dentists ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HMHB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    More and more dentists around here are stopping doing NHS work and are trying to charge people £17 per month for the privilege of having your teeth looked after. They are blaming the government for this, but I wonder if they are just being greedy ?
    I saw on the local new that no dentists in Lincolnshire are taking on new NHS patients and so people are being sent to Nottingham for treatment :eek: What is happening to this country ? We pay for this with our taxes but are being denied basic dental care :mad:

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well they can earn more as private dentists, although I think at the moment a basic NHS dentist gets more than £80K!! :eek:

But to be honest it isn't the responsibility of the dentist himself to ensure people get an NHS dentist, that is down to the government.

If you had a skill which could earn you £80k on the NHS or (a complete guess here) £100k (I guess a lot more if you are very good) privately, then you would go private wouldn't you? Although I think new dentists probably have to do a minimum service on the NHS seeings as the Government has paid for most of their training.

3. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    i was under the impression it has nothing to do with the money side of things as the dentists get money regardless if its from an individual or the government claims for NHS.
    there was a story around my way where a nhs dentist was getting trouble from patients and decided to refuse treating NHS anymore. i dont think its all to do with the cash thing.

4. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I suspect its largely to do with cash but also there has to be other benifits such as reduced paperwork etc. On the whole I suspect its to do with them making more money this way. Not that I care Private or NHS its all far to expensive!
    Do your self a favour dont go and save yourself a packet:D

5. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Part of the problem is that there isn't enough places on dental courses to satisfy the demand for NHS dentists, it isn't simply case of everyone going private for an extra 25%.

6. ransoman

ransoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My teeth are insured, 20 quid a month. I almost want to break them so that i can claim.

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I take it you have read about the massive increases in costs for NHS dental work?

Over £40 for a standard filling is daylight robbery. Maybe they should make the likes of Cadbury and Nestle pay NHS dental bills? :D

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    No, when was that announced ?

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,014
    I haven't qualified for NHS dentist fees for a long time, but i found that private dentists made a better job anyway.

10. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,652
    LMAO:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I blame the goverment myself. Not sure why at the moment:rolleyes: probably only take a few mins to come up with a credible reason

They're at fault for most that has gone wrong over the past several years so this might as well be their fault as well:D

11. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    i have to say the guy i see on quite a regular basis is fantastic, im on the NHS and i couldnt be happier with the service ive received. im the other way actually, when ive been to a private dentist, ive had poor quality work done

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Well it's happened again. My mother had to find a new dentist the other year and now this new one has announced that they are going private. A lot of people will not bother going any more and that can't be good. Surely we have a right to a dentist after paying taxes all these years?

13. Ultima

Ultima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    My dentist is a private one......charges me £60 for a checkup, scale and polish every 6 months.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Personally I don't think it's good practice to have a scale every 6 months as I'm sure I read somewhere it can take away enamel from the teeth every time it's done.
    I could be wrong of course :D

15. weetsie

weetsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    this has been happening for at least 5 years.

when dentists go private they get more money and they also get to do jobs that are not available on the nhs.

if i was an nhs dentist i would go private.

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    There are a lot of people (myself included) who will not pay for private dentistry on a point of principal. I've paid my taxes and as a result of that should be entitled to an NHS service.
    There are also people (pensioners like my mother) who can't afford to pay this £10 a month that they are asking for. They still have to pay for the treatment on top of that if they need a filling or anything other than a checkup/scale/polish.

17. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Government money for dentists (NHS) goes to your local Primary Care Trust (PCT). It's up to the PCT to provide enough NHS dentists in the area and if a NHS dentist goes private then their allocated government funds go back to the PCT.

A lot of dentists do both private and NHS work.

Regarding the charges on NHS, the following apply (from http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Pages/DentistsFAQs.aspx):
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    From April 1 2009, if you are not exempt from charges, you should pay one of the following rates for each course of treatment you receive:

Band 1 course of treatment
    £16.50 - This covers an examination, diagnosis (eg: x-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, and a scale and polish if needed.

Urgent treatment when you need to see a dentist immediately also costs £16.50.

Band 2 course of treatment
    £45.60 - This covers everything listed in Band 1, above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.

Band 3 course of treatment
    £198 - This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures or bridges.

These are the only dental charges your dentist should ask you to pay when you are having NHS treatment.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

So the most you pay for any course of NHS treatment should be £198, regardless of how many visits that course takes or what it is you're having done.

Thanks

Jon

18. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    and because of the shortage of UK qualified and accredited dentists part of the BMA we see an influx of shoddy dentists entering the UK shores. If you don't beleive me go to my local dentist who I filed a compaint aginst to my PCT.

When I entered the surgery, he extinguished his cigarette and treated me. Although he was wearing those blue gloves, he stank and never sanitized his hands.

People in general just don't feel responsible any more for patient care and are greedy lazy excuses for human beings.

19. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,210
    We've got a brand new NHS dentist opening soon and actively touting for people to register, I am with another NHS dentist 15 minutes away and they have not been fully subscribed for as long as I can remember. My wife and her Mum both registered with no problem last year.

20. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    gp's who run there own centres avg 250-350k a year

21. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,652
    I was at the Dentist recently for a quick checkup.

I was in and out of the room in less than 1 minute (about 49 seconds) for my £16.50

Nice work if you can get it:D

22. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Is that earnings for a single G.P? I know that G.P practises are essentially private primary services that are funded by the PCT (NHS)

23. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    national avg i believe for G.P.s in such situations

24. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I recently managed to find a local dentist who does NHS work ( haven't been to dentist in about 6 years). They could only fit me in 2 months from the day I walked in . I got a 4.40 appointment ( last in the day ) . I work 30 miles from home and thought it polite to pop home and clean my teeth first so I drove like the wind , brushed my pegs and drove down to the dentist. I waited to be seen by the receptionist for about 2 minutes and handed over my appointment card. Because I was 2 minutes late the dentist refused to see me. This made me furious and if I had known who the dentist was ( they were round the back ) I would have waited outside and given them a piece of my mind. I have to wait another 2 months before an available slot is available. I will be eating raw garlic on the drive home before being seen. I think dentists are a disgrace and they should be made to do a certain percentage of NHS work before the government will give them a license to practice, it is outrageous that people have to wait till their teeth get so bad they have to be admitted to hospital to get any work done, thus burdening the NHS even more. A Czech friend of mine goes home to Prague every year for a check up, this year she had a white porcelin crown fitted for £40. Now over here that would have cost £500. Its a disgrace. Dental tourism is a definate option.....

25. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    They are annoying when they get on their high-horse about someone being 2 minutes late. When I think of the number of times I've sat waiting 20 minutes or more past my appointment time and they don't apologise. I've even had the first appointment of the day and still been kept waiting 10 minutes after my time :mad:

26. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Funnily enough one of my mates before his wedding had the full dental works done in Macedonia. When he came back his teeth were blinging :devil:

27. bazonix

bazonix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    send me a PM ;) i have a few favours that need calling in.... and its not to far from ur workplace:)