RIP my pioneer plasma. Help needed finding a replacement please!

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
Hi all, I know its a wide ranging question and subject to opinion, so please be patient and help if you can.

As suggested in the title my Pioneer has truly died a death and has shuffled of this AV coil. (The HD board went last year and its gone down hill from there).
Im after a new TV, and with that comes some of the worst headaches, questions and confusion I have ever known.

My specs and budget are:
Wall mountable,
55 inch screen.
Viewable from an "off center" seating position,
Suitable for gaming (FPS mainly)
Watching tv via virgin tivo box or streamed from a NAS drive (either cabled or wi-fi) attached to a 60 meg broadband connection.

Budget of around £2000 but can be pushed if REALLY worth it (much more and my wife starts playing with kitchen knives)!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and thanks, in advance, for any help or advice offered.
GrassSnakeUk.

MalRics

If you love the performance of plasma then Panasonic TXP55VT65 is an excellent 55 inch screen that can be had for £1800 which is well within your budget. The larger TXP60ZT65 and TXP65VT65 can be had for around £2400 if you want to push it.
Many have stated that these panels match or better the Kuros.
Don't know about LED/OLED if thats what you had in mind.

If you are considering a Panasonic plasma, you will need to make up your mind quickly as stocks of the high-end Panasonics are dwindling. Crampton & Moore and Richer Sounds are 2 of the shops that seem to have them in still.

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
Thanks so much for your reply. I do realise this is a mine field of a question and that opinions are wide ranging and plentiful. Any assistance / replies given are greatly appreciated!
I have started to really consider the plasma range from Panasonic, the p55vt65b in particular. Am I correct in thinking this is top of this Panasonic range?
The Panasonic TX 55AS802B is also in my sights from Panasonic.

Also in my thought process is the 4K LG55LA970W or the LG55UB850V . Different tech to the above mentioned Plasma but oh my word, good looking sets the lot of them.... ARRRGGGHHH PLEASE HELP.

Last edited:

MalRics

The VT65 series is the top of the Panasonic plasma range with the exception of the limited edition ZT model, which only comes in 60 inch size for £2399. Main difference with ZT over VT is that front glass is bonded direct to panel producing no air gap which translates into better performance in brighter conditions. Darker environment performance of ZT & VT is near identical according to those who have seen them together.

With the exception of very expensive OLED sets, the P55VT65 will probably be better than anything that LG produces and if you want something very much like your Kuro (with added bonus of Smart TV features), then you cant go wrong with it.
The good plasmas still beat LED / LCD for motion handling, black levels / contrast ratio and picture quality but as you probably know they consume more power and need some care with running in for the first 200 - 300 hours.

Can't tell you much about LED sets since I have always bought plasma.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I agree with Mal about the Panasonics, only viable option.
LG plasmas aren't the good, aimed at entry end of the market.

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
Thanks so much Mal for your comprehensive reply. The Pana set has always been firmly in my sights but there are a couple of features holding me back.
The reported fan noise is, as some describe it, unbearable.
The fact that the 3d side of things rely on active tech is a real show stopper for me...
Ho hum back to drawing board....... round and round I go!

Thanks, so much to those who have taken time to read my post and thanks again to those who have commented so far..

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
The active v passive argument is one I'm sure is far reaching and has both good and bad points, as is the led v plasma. However in all honesty, im not a tech afficionado, im just an ordinary bloke who laments his great TV (it's the xde model, not the Kuro sadly) and is in the market for another good one.
Help in negotiating the vast choices and narrowing it down to a choice of 2 or 3 is what I'm PLEADING for....
:)
Dave.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Panasonic plasma if you can find one :) But active 3d which you say is a showstopper, which is a shame.

jmbrailsford

Hi,

as far as I am concerned 3D is a gimmick nothing more and will eventually fade away, I would rather have bought a 2D only screen and saved some cash, but very hard to find a TV without it these days. Wouldn't matter which format passive or active for me as I will rarely use it, surely the 2D image is the deciding factor as that will be in use most of the time ?

Mike.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yes, fully agree I thought you said no active 3d before, I must have misread

Panasonic plasma best all round

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read and reply. Your help is most kind.

To clarify the 3D comments above, I would rather not have active 3D as I have read a lot about the flickering it can cause with some systems. (That and I have slightly wonky eyes which doesnt get the benefit of 3D a lot of people enjoy) ;-)

EVERY review of the Panasonics are positive and yet...... I dont know if im being swayed by the "Its old tech nobody will repair them / nobody makes them anymore" etc...

saarnold

Very good review of the 50"AX802 4K (flagship 2014) on HDTV Test - at the end of the review it states that the last generation of panasonic plasmas (2013) still beat it for overall PQ.
Brought my ZT from TPS where i saw it demoed along side a VT65 and a WT600 4K tv ( 2013 ), all using the same feed - the ZT and VT were far superior in overall PQ to the WT600, and as with all Led/Lcd's the viewing angle was terrible as the colours washed out very quickly.
Check out the ZT or VT before you decide and before they sell out completely.
saarnold

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
My oh my more decisions and opinions to add to the mix many thanks for the replies and input provided thus far. I sincerely appreciate all your help and advice.
Im now actively looking at the Panasonic Plasmas, namely the highly recommended VT range, HOWEVER, the missus (who is loking at TVs from a different perspective, namely the aesthetics) has come up with the 4K LG UB850V as an alternative option.

Any thoughts from anyone on this would be greatly appreciated.

jmbrailsford

Hi,

hardly worth a 4K tv is you sit more than 6-8ft away unless its huge ;)

1080p more than capable of matching 4k on anything 50-65 inch, then you have file formats for 4k files that many of the 4k tv's are having problems with :)

Mike.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
It's a matter of pixel size and the resolution of the eye.
Spend the money on a better 1080p TV and you will get more for your money.

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
I currently sit about 2.5m away and my cureent 43" TV is mounted at a height of around 1.2m to the middle of the screen wirh my surround sound speakers mounted either side for the left and right speakers and my front facing one below in the middle...

Like so:

20140529_060213.jpg

MalRics

If you watch a lot of broadcast TV like I do, especially sports, the plasma wins over 4K since I can't see anyone broadcasting in 4k anytime soon. I like the idea of watching 1080 / 720p broadcasts on a 1080p screen instead of 1080 / 720p upscaled to 4K panel. My previous plasma Kuro 508xd was not even full 1080p resolution but the picture was sublime with HD broadcast material from SKY HD. It was also great for gaming with no issues of retention whatsoever.

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
Thanks again Mal for your reply, I genuinely appreciate your input. I like the Panasonic, I really do.
One of the things thats also holding me back is the availability (or lack of), of the Pana VT. It may mean buying from the internet which takes away the ability to have a bit of haggle for discount or freebies?
Would this concern yourself or other forum users?

MalRics

Not concerned once it is from a reputable supplier. I would first call places like Crampton & Moore, Richer Sounds and TPS and see what the situation is. You may even get a deal on the larger 60 or 65 inch screens and all of these places do 5 year warranty .
TPS seem to have the 55VT65 in stock with 7 year warranty for 1799..........

Last edited:

GrassSnakeUK

Standard Member
There is a richer sounds store 30 mins up the road from me in Newcastle!!!

What about the documented fan noise of theVT?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett