1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rio Riot 20gb mp3 portable £100 amazon

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by driver8, Sep 4, 2003.

1. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not exactly up on these mp3 personals - bit out of my price range really (how much I'd love an ipod !) - but stumbled across this wee beastie which seems a real bargain !

Done a quick search on the forums, but unable to find any info - anyone got one or know about these ? How long has the price been so low ? (I found a review from this time last year, quoting £350 !)

Searching via Google really does reveal a wide variety of opinions; obv the Riot is not an ipod - larger/uglier, the menus are somewhat clunky, USB1 is slow (overnight to fill the machine), awkward playlists, etc. BUT the sound quality is supposed to be as good if not better than Apple's offering, it's flash upgradeable, 20gb, and so long as you're not after an ultraportable then it looks very tempting at £100 ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000063TJ7/ref=ed_xsoc_ce_1_1/202-1910363-3003066

2. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is one of the original generation of MP3 large hard drive jukebox players produced before all the big name companies (Apple, Creative, etc.) got involved and will certainly do the job if you are not worried about the size or styling of it. A few years ago players like this were all you could get. I would recommend reading the reviews on the amazon site first though if you have not already. They make interesting reading.

I like the price:
    'Our Price: £99.99
    Used Price: £194.00'.:rotfl:

Pity those poor people trying to sell one secondhand at the moment, probably so they can upgrade to an ipod.:suicide:

3. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    These are fantastic at this price.I wonder what DVDcake means by 'This is one of the original generation of MP3 large hard drive jukebox players produced before all the big name companies (Apple, Creative, etc.) got involved'. I have a creative jukebox for about 2 years now and this one came out about a year later. Technology hasn't moved much in this area at all,as the ones from Creative have almost the same features as this,maybe with the extra fact that they have firewire.
    I ordered one on Friday,and Amazon were not selling it on their website after about 12 noon on Friday.Wonder what happened...

4. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry I was not refering to this specific model, just the fact that the technology in it is little different from other models previoulsy marketed by Rio, just wrapped up in a nicer case, where as the latest Apple ipod and Creative Zen players have clearly been subjected to some aggressive miniturisation.:)

As to what happened, I expect Amazon was clearing old stock and now has none left so if you want one now you will have to pay one of those other suppiers double. :(

5. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually I don't think the technology is any different at all.Sure they are a few cm smaller and have firewire,but you will see that they are remarkaby similar.As I said,my Creative JB is still great and the newer offerings haven't broken any ground at all.
    This was £300 a couple of months back,so at £100 it is a bargain if ever there was one.Sadly it is not available anymore.

I will hopefully get it tomorrow and I am more than happy.

6. INDIE

INDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +771
    Same here - Mine was dispatched today can't wait to try it out.

7. pilot

pilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how big is it? cant tell from the photo.

8. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Click on the 'see more pictures' link on the Amazon listing to see it being held by a person.:)

9. Kam the Man

Kam the Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    arrived yet? what's it like? Pray tell.

10. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got this a few days ago.Very good indeed,and as expected.
    Only problems are that it has no dedicated transfer program (it came with real Jukebox and I hate the program),though I have installed drivers from Microsoft and now I am able to drag and drop from Win Explorer and also use Windows Media player for transferring.
    The Interface is quite good and it looks quite cool too.But it has a few drawbacks - you cannot transfer stuff from it(I couldn't till now) and you cannot store data files on it(I have not tried it yet,but people have told me so,and what good will it be if you can't transfer it back!!).
    But overall a steal at £100!!

11. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe there is a firmware hack that lets you transfers the files back and forth. I cant remember where I saw it. I will have a look

12. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That will be great 50/50,if you can get it.Will be waiting for it