Rio Karma, Iriver H320SE, IHP140, Ipod 40/60GB and any other 40GB+ players

F

fastkam

Hi there,

I need advice on which portable music player to buy. 90% of the time it would be connected to my Rotel stereo amplifier so I need to know which player will give best quality signal to my amp - music would be stored uncompressed from my CDs

I would also prefer a wireless remote with screen with the player.

Any suggestions or anyone currently using portable music player the same i intend to use it? Your comments please.

Cheers,

Kam

If you're storing uncompressed then you're going to want something with a BIG HDD.

I have just ordered the IRiver H140 (40gb) from Amazon £239.99. After much deliberation and AV Forum visits, this little beauty will connect to my amp with digital optical out. I am using Musicmatch Jukebox currently to convert my cds to mp3's (128 Kbps - cd quality). I wanted to do achieve the same end result as you and i think this solution will work great. However don't just consider my point of view but consider others from this forum as everybody here has really helped me over the last few weeks to decide. Big hand to everyone and keep this forum at the standard it is!!!

Realslimcookie

I have had a h140 for about 8 months now, and the sound quality is fantastic. I have done side by side comparisons with a Rio and an Ipod, and in my opinion, the H140 is far better. Having the optical out will give you a better sound too.
Out of interest, when you say you will store them uncompressed, what format are you going to choose?

Quick question for MIKEHIBBERT, have you upgraded your firmware to 1.63? i know it will be the first thing i will do when i take receipt of my H140 player.

Realslimcookie.

Have really thought about which format I am going to store uncompressed CDs.

I do not have optical input on my amplifier but Aux input (Red/White sockets) like on the back of the Rio Karma docking station.

realslimcookie said:
Quick question for MIKEHIBBERT, have you upgraded your firmware to 1.63? i know it will be the first thing i will do when i take receipt of my H140 player.

Realslimcookie.

Hi,

I'm currently running on version 1.60, and can't see any difference between that and 1.63, so i'm gonna stick where I am.

HTH,

Mike

Mike,
I think the only update to 1.63 is the ability to delete on the fly.

FastKam,
The H140 has a great deal of options for input from/ outputting to other devices. Line in /line out/ Optical in/ optical out. I don't know much about the rio so i can't say.

Realslimcookie.

I too have a IHP 140 and it is truely a fantastic player :thumbsup: can't understand why it hasn't received any positive feedback in the Hi -fi /home cinema press. The sound quality is amazing - and the ability to 1) record direct via the optical and 2) playback with the optical out, puts it ahead of the opposition.

realslimcookie said:
Mike,
I think the only update to 1.63 is the ability to delete on the fly.
realslimcookie.

That was available in 1.60, i think they may have just renamed it as i can't find 1.60 now.

anyway, the player is great!

I have a setup very similar to what you require, i use an archos av480 (80GB) and plug it in using the cradle with stereo phono sockets to my amp. It comes with a great remote control for selecting the music (or video) that i want.

It has a composite video output also which i have connected into my LCD TV so when i want to listen to music i just pick up the remote and choose the tracks on a 30" display!

It does everything i wanted and more, sound quality is superb...and its still only 50% full with 10000 tracks...(mp3 cd quality) :thumbsup:

Hi all, I hope this doesn’t constitute crashing the thread but I to am very interested in buying an MP3 player and am choosing between all mentioned in the title, Im very tempted on the iriver HP-140 but have 2 concerns. 1st is the remote on the headphone cord, is it bulky and does it get in the way? My 2nd is the lack of accessories Speaker, car kits etc, ipod have lots available and all look aesthetically very pleasing, does anyone know of anything that is out or coming out for these devices?

Thanks

Paul

If it's just for home use, this might suit your needs, though it may be not exactly what you're after.

The ipod, IHP and Karma give a decent sound signal. The Karma via RCAs from the dock, the ipod via mini line-out from dock. The IHP has the advantage of optical out meaning you can hook it up to an external DAC...

Any of those 3 will give you a decent sound via your home system if connected properly to the right equipment. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom