1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ringos customers please read. Somewhat urgent

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,529
  2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Spectre,

It seems unless you're a registered customer, you can't access that post/message.

So, for those of us who are not Ringo's customers / nosey / curious / worried / et al, can you post it here please, to save us having to register?

Cheers,

Pooch

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    Stuart,

I have posted a similar one in General forum, dont mind if you delete or add the link to that one.

It is a shame Stuart was very reliable in the past.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,529
    This announcement from Colin P (who runs the DVD forums):
    ---------------------------------------
    There have been a number of threads over the past 24 hours regarding Ringos - it does indeed appear that they are no longer running Ringos as a business and their current whereabouts is unknown.

There are a number of reports that Stuart owes a number of individuals and companies money - there is also the possibility that Credit and Debit card numbers could be compromised. We strongly recommend that you contact your bank or credit card issuer for advice on this matter and to ensure that your own money is safe.
    ------------------------------------------
    And this email was sent to several people from Peter at InterDVD who supply Ringos with their DVDs:
    -----------------------------------------------
    "Hello everyone, Stuart Riley (a.k.a. Ringos) is the
    biggest con-man, cheat, smackhead in the history of
    crooks. He has fabricated a story about a personal loss to
    make a smooth getaway with hundreds of peoples hard earned
    money. His house is boarded up, his children have been
    taken out of school and his parents have vanished. I know
    of at least a hundred thousand pounds worth of bad debt he
    has left whether it be with myself, his hardware supplier
    or his close friends. Basically everyone has been conned.
    Please, please, please call your card companies and
    demand a full and immediate refund on any monies Ringos
    have ever taken from you. Sorry if this message is a tad
    rough but as you can imagine I have some rather large fish
    to fry, and fried it will be,
    Thank you for your time
    Peter
    http://www.interdvd.co.uk"
    -------------------------------------------------

5. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,529
    Yes

7. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101

heh.

Sorry about calling you a newbie then. :D

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    Latest Update is that several people have gone round to his house, but everything is gone and boarded up. He owes Craig at Movietyme around £25k Interdvd about £15k others about 30-50k. Some people have been charged last week for discs that have never arrived. There has been no cash Taken from anyone in the last few days however.
    Seems that he couldn't pay his bills, was not vat registered, and not very professional at the end of the day.
    I did think quite highly of RINGOS because I always had very good service, I have now had to cancel my cards just to be safe.

It's a real Shame, but Stuart Riley (or what ever alias he is using) must answer some real questions.

I really feel sorry for Craig etc who are severely out of pocket.:mad:

9. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101

Do people actually take time to board up their house if they are on the run???

:confused:

10. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    Ono,

Just passing on what I have been told.

For everyone here is a post from Peter @ Interdvd who was a supplier to Ringos.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello everyone,

Today I have seen with my own eyes the true damage Stuart Riley (a.k.a. Peter Curley, a.k.a. Stuart O'Brien, a.k.a. Ringo) has inflicted on the hard working, dvd loving people of Manchester.

I barely had time to stop explaining to one poor soul that they had been ripped off by Stuart before another person approached me to ask 'where is Stuart'. My answer was simple 'He's done a runner, from everyone he has conned'.

Some people had maybe given him a faulty disc back to check, some had returned a player for repair, some people had pre-paid cash for dvds (not everyone has CC and internet access).......the list of individual cons is endless. As the day progressed it became more and more apparent just how much money he has stolen from people, one of his suppliers of hardware i spoke to looked completely broken and down-hearted, he had been a personal friend to Stuart for the last 15 years - not only is this guy now on the verge of bankrupcy because of this but he also feels completely betrayed by someone he considered a close personal friend.

Now regarding my infamous post last night highlighting this problem, I apologise to the forum for just springing up there the way i did, i was feeling anger towards a guy who i have helped keep trading over the last few months and i felt an instant need to help prevent any more frauds - However, i must say that everything i put in that post was true 'even the part refering to his drug addiction'.

I have also today learnt some more info about Stuart which is totally shocking but unfortunately isn't for me to announce here (if you are reading M post it) but to give you a clue - think about films like 'le trou' and 'grande illusion'.

Anyway I am getting sick of discussing this low-life criminal now so i will sign off. I only hope now that everyone he has conned will get some kind of justice and this devil can be found and locked up (again).

Finally, if anyone is still questioning the facts in this case please take it from me, he has emptied his house in Bolton and he has more than likely left the country. Go get your money back, i wish i could.

If you are reading this somewhere Stuart have fun with your limited resources while they last, because next year when your poverty again we will all be flush sleeping like babies, not hiding away like a rabies riddled dog
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nuff Said:mad:

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    Is there a Parrot in here! Yes its dead!:p :D

Sorry Rob I just beat you to it I think!:rolleyes:

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Now some of you might be rather pi**ed off with me for making this statement, and I apologise in advance for any undue offence caused, but I think it needs to be said.

Firstly, I have never used "Ringos", so cannot comment on their service. Nor do I now who Stuart Riley is, his whereabouts, or have anything to do with him.

Now that I've said that, I think that this goes to show that customers need to stick to reputable, reliable companies that have been online for awhile, and whom have had feedback (via magazines, forum messages, et al) about them. That way, you can be more sure that the company you are dealing with, actually exists, has proper premises, and is all legal and above-board.

Whilst I do genuinely sympathise with anyone who has been ripped-off by this man or his company, we need to all realise that a lot of this companies are simply fly-by-night companies set-up by people wanting to make a quick buck, and have no interest in either the customer, the running of an online business, or in DVD as a medium.

I do understand what it is like to be conned out of money, as I was one of many thousands who paid for a year's free internet service that quickly went arse-up. I lost £130, which may not be as much as some of you folks, but as a young student at university, that's a lot of my money. I sued the company, won the case and my money back, but still haven't seen any sign of a refund - and probably never will either! Hence, now I'm with AOL. So, I DO genuinely have compassion for you.

Ultimately though, I think people need to stick to those few companies that we all know and trust, rather than many of these new companies, we know absolutely nothing about. Sometimes it may be better in the long term to pay a couple of quid extra per DVD, from a reputable firm, than go for those companies offering the cheapest deal, especially if it means that those extra couple of quid goes to making sure you get what you ordered, promptly and ontime.

I repeat my apologies for any undue offence caused, by me making this statement.

Take care all, and I hope you all get recompense in one form or another,

Pooch

13. Robz

Robz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pooch i don't think you understand.

Ring0s were and had been around for quite a while and built up a lot of trust with forum members and admin of some other forums. They had huge amount of feedback from their sponsored thread at the DVDForums.

It's all a bit surprising to that he has done what he has.

From the sounds of things not only has he ripped off partners he did business with, not only regular and loyal customers he had but also very close personal friends.

It seems like complete financial and livelyhood suicide.

I had never used them before but thought they were a well trusted and reputable e-tailer until last Nov/Dec when this all started to kick off.

I guess no matter how much trust you put in a person/company you can never be prepared for the worst case scenario. And i think this is definately the case with Ring0s.

:(

14. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yep, Robz is right.

Ring0s (Stu) had one of the best reputations around not long ago. In fact I transferred my custom from Discemporium to them last year and had nothing but good service from Ring0s.

Things only started going downhill when Movietyme made known that Ring0s owed them about £25k in the other forums. Stu hottly disputed this.

The killer blow IMO was when Ring0s were accused of selling bootleg DVDs at a computer fair. This rumour spread like wildfire (perpetuated by some members of that other forum).

This was proven to be true and Stu owned up.

I think he ran because he was scared of being busted by FACT and the police. This led to Peter@interdvd's post which was, sadly, true it seems. After that post all the people who claimed to have known Stu personally came out the woodwork and cried foul.

That is it really.

Thing is, I think if Stu had kept Ring0s as a legimate company he could have really made a go of it. I estimate that he was shifting around 2000 + DVDs a week with a £1 or so mark up on each. That's enough for a decent living even after paying Tax.

I feel no resentment towards Stu, but do feel sorry for his children. (EDIT especially in light of some of the sordid sex connections their parents seem to have. - just seen at the other place)

:(

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never, ever used Ringos........ have'nt even been tempted....call me weird, call me fussy but there is no way that I'm going to do business with someone who couldn't even be bothered using a spell checker.....this may seem petty but its the attention to detail in things like this that make the difference between professional and amateur in the running of a business, and lets face it Ringos stank of amateurism.........

.........as for Ringos offering good customer service...some people are making it sound as though they were doing their customers a big favour by actually answering 'phones etc...isn't that how any business should be run?..... anyway, lot of good the personal touch has done if they've run off leaving a shed load of debts behind!!!!!....its not as if their prices were competitive either...most, if not all of the discs they sold could be sourced cheaper from Play or Movietyme.

I would agree with PoochJd in that we should all be wary of newcomers to the DVD retailing scene...and lets face it when compared to Movietyme or Play, Ringos, to all intents and purposes, were newcomers with a very short and somewhat unprofessional history.

Just my opinion.

16. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He actually owes £11k to peter@interdvd, he owes a Manchester gangster around £15k (could be more) he owes his best mate £18k and the estimate he owes is at least £150k.

I don't expect to see Mr O'brien/riley/whatever again and like Peter@interdvd said i think the next time anyone see's him he will be face down in a river.

17. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    Sorry, but some people are now coming out of the woodwork here and saying all kinds of silly things about ringos.

Ok It's your opinion, but having never used their service, How can you slag them off?:confused: All this Hindsight seems to be getting to peoples head.

I liked their Service, I didn't mind paying an extra £1 to get my discs the next day. I liked the fact that buying 3 or more discs I got a larger discount. I spent a lot of money with them, and their feedback at DVDForums was 1st class.

But I was told via PM at the start of the year that something was going to happen, and that he was selling Bootlegs. Now in my line of work I can not condone this So withdrew my support for his company.

Up until then, he was IMHO better than the rest.

It is a shame that this has happened.

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

....who's slagging them off?...i was just stating facts...

.......as far as not being allowed an opinion about them , or it being less valid, cos i never used them....well I've never tasted dog crap but all of the evidence points to it not tasting very nice:rolleyes:

19. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    No thats not what I meant. I take on board you comments, and I apologise if what i posted was not read in the way it was meant.

What I was getting at was it is now funny that people who have had no dealings with this company, now come out with comments purely from hindsight. Kinda like "I told you so" but with no evidence of using their service, or saying small companies like this are all the same, so stick with the big boys.

Anyway, it looks as though this episode has come to an end.

I would hate to be Stu when they catch up with him.:eek:

20. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have never used ringos but have been aware of them for a long time. This is suprising news.

I just want to know what action is being taken for the people who have been ripped off, if that information can actually be disclosed on the forum, and why no one has taken down the site if ringos is no more. You can still order stuff on there, like business as usual. Call me nosey, I'm just interested.

21. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just visted the Ringos website www.ringos.co.uk (is this right site?) well it's still up and taking orders.

It seems to be hosted with a BT business package, it looks like the free space you get with a dial up account.

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...yeah its still up and running and apparently ( according to someone on the DVDForums) its been updated...dare say that BT will allow it to run until someone can provide them with proof that its being used for fraudulent purposes.

23. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I never ordered from Ringos nor was tempted to. Three things struck me (from my observations lurking in the DVD forums):

1. The website was utterly unprofessional and appeared to be somewhat suspect (i.e. blatently selling gold cards, DVD rippers and Macrovision busters). I recall that on one occasion, the site had a sexist joke on the first page, which for some reason was perceived to be a major marketing ploy:eek: .

2. The business seemed highly reliant on DVD Forums customers and sponsorship with contributions for "Stuart" on a regular basis touting for new business. However, he seemed oblivious to many hints to use a spellchecker by posters, and this likely also demonstrated his concern for his customers.

3. The business freeloaded on the bad reputation and collapse of a company called StarDVD to get off the ground. Whether it really earned it is open to debate.

I could go on......

But here's the conundrum. How do we know any e-tailer without a high street presence is an above-board business with a sensible business plan, working practices and the potential for longevity? As Pooch has said, history counts for a lot, but there is always an exception to the rule.

Caveat emptor.....

24. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I dont know anything about this case or the person / company involved other than what I have just read in this thread. What I dont understand is if people believe / know that ringos have been deliberately defrauding people and are continuing to do so on their website why has nobody notifed trading standards / the police about the continuing existance / updating of the website?

Just my two penneth.

Quite shocking though if all is true that this site in continued ot be upddated.

Also if you were trying to track down this guy id imagine that the ISP would have a log of the telephone numbers used to dial up the ISP to modify the web pages. (hopefully)

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A certain unpopular DVD retailer has re-surfaced back on the DVD Forums....thought this might interest some of you's......read away!!!....if you can stand the smell of bullsh*t that is!!!!

ringos back online!
    THERE HAVE BEEN MNY MANY THINGS POSTED WITHIN THIS FORUM AND OTHERS THAT ARE ABSOLUTE TOTLA NONSENSE!!

WE DID DO A RUNNER!
    WE ARE SAFE FOR NOW!
    I DO NOT APOLOGIES FOR PUTTING MY FAMILY AHEAD OF MY BUSINESS
    I DO APOLOGIES FOR "MISLEADING" (LIEING) TO A CERTAIN MOD
    I WILL BE BACK THIS WEEKEND TO SPEAK TO A CERTIAN RETAILER FACE TO FACE!
    WE LEFT SUFFICENT FUNDS IN THE BUISNESS ACCOUNT AND MERCHANT ACCOUNT TO ALL REFUNDS DUE TO PEOPLE FOR DEBITS MADE IN THE WEEK PRIOR TO OUR SIDAPPEARANCE

ALL BUSINESS FILE ARE UNDER LOCK AND KEY IN MANCHESTER , WHERE NO ONE CAN GET TO THEM , SO YOUR CARDS ARE SAFE![/SIZE=4]

THERE WILL BE CRIMINAL CHARGES BROUGHT AGAINST CERTAIN INDIVIDULAS AND COMPANIES ( NOT US!)

THERE HAVE BEEN NO DEBITS MADE SINCE THURSDAY 28th FEBRUARY ( MAY APPEAR ON A FEW STATEMENTS A FRIDAY 1st MARCH )

OUR HOUSE HAS NOT BEEN "BOARDED UP"

ringos link

26. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,935
    the guy should learn to construct sentences!!

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .....and use a spell checker/dictionary......

28. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

My responses to the latest news on Ringo's:

1) The guy should learn to know when the going's good, and keep on going, NOT posting messages on a forum whose members are intelligent sensible people, who keep their money in their wallet until things have been sorted out. We've all had too many companies "shaft-us" over the past two years, and I don't think anyone is going to let it happen to them again.

2) He should learn to NOT SHOUT!!! We're not deaf!

3) We don't care what he says anymore. If everything that's been written about him and/or his company is a lie/bogus/fake or whatever, then he needs to start taking action, not words, to rebuild his reputation.

4) I don't believe a word of what he says. I just hope that ex-customers of his, are NOT fooled into believing him just yet, until this whole matter has been sorted out properly!

Just my opinions of course.... which are only as valuable as the paper they're written on! :D :p

Pooch

Legal Disclaimer: THE OPINIONS LISTED DIRECTLY ABOVE, ARE PURELY THOSE OF THE FORUM POSTER, AND ARE NOT RELATED TO THE OPERATORS OR USERS OF THIS FORUM, IN ANY OTHER WAY, SHAPE OR FORM!

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...can you believe that some people on DVD Forums are actually, at this moment, defending him again??????

30. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Tinder,

Just goes to show the mentality of SOME users of the "DVD Forums" forum site. :D

Pooch

P.S. No offence meant, as I know there are many users of our forums, who also visit the "DVD Forums" site as well. So apologies for any undue offence caused, for my comments which are meant in jest! Honestly! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.