Ring Video Doorbell Review & Comments

Thanks ODB_69 ordered with code VBOX15 for 15% of so paid 179.85. I was going to wait for Black Friday but it looks like its come early for me.

That's a really good price. I paid £240+ (topcashback so not full £249) for this only a month ago. Saying that only appears to be in white but am sure for £60 I could live with that.

Last edited:
Can you wire those floodlight cameras to a local hard drive?

thanks for posting the offer, ordering now!

Oh and FREEDEL50 for free delivery

Can you wire those floodlight cameras to a local hard drive?

Unfortunately not, so it requires a sub for recording or just live feeds I think

Subscription needed for storage of recordings. You get live view either way. But if your going to have a couple of devices then the subs work out well. Particularly like the 10% discount and lifetime warranty.

Subscription needed for storage of recordings. You get live view either way. But if your going to have a couple of devices then the subs work out well. Particularly like the 10% discount and lifetime warranty.

Don't get too excited. It's a 1 year warranty. It has a lifetime purchase protection warranty, meaning if it gets stolen they will replace FOC.

However if I am reading it right, the link in the floodlight cam about that clearly states the ring video doorbell and not the floodlights. Assume it's an error and they have just reused the same warranty however they could argue it

Unfortunately not, so it requires a sub for recording or just live feeds I think

I'd rather not have that data in 'the cloud'. I had been looking at these but then discovered you can get a Hikvision Hiwatch recorder and 2 cameras for that price, expandable up the 8 cameras.

I'd rather not have that data in 'the cloud'. I had been looking at these but then discovered you can get a Hikvision Hiwatch recorder and 2 cameras for that price, expandable up the 8 cameras.

Well that's the point behind the Ring system. I suppose it's buying into an ecosystem basically.

I was tempted by hikvsion stuff (8mp wdr etc), however the ring does more than just motion sensing/recording. I can answer the door with my phone, I can speak to anyone in my backyard, it looks more normal than having CCTV cameras everywhere. I have a normal CCTV system in a business and didn't really want that all over my home. If I'm ever concerned I can just add such a system on top of the ring product. Going forward I will wait to see what happens with smart alarms first.

Also in reply to the above comments the ring site is a bit ambiguous regarding damage warranty. A normal plan adds 1-year and the £80 plan supposedly lifetime. I'm not sure if you took the £80 for 1 year and then let it lapse you would still get the warranty for life. Likewise I assume every time you pay £24.99 for a camera you add a 1 year damage warranty and hopefully not just the 1st time you do it. It may be worth me calling them to clarify this. Lifetime theft protection is listed regardless of any plan.

Review, Save and Share Videos With Ring Video Recording | Ring

The cynic in me says the ambiguity is intentional

I was planning on doing the £80 subscription as and when the Ring Home security product are available in the UK as this will cover the 24/7 monitoring unless I have misunderstood the marketing blurb for the Home protect system in the media when the product was announced.
Anyone know if the Amazon show will be supported with the flood cams? I understand the door bell does?

I did call them (re my pro voltage being a bit high but tagged on the warranty question). To have lifetime you need to have the protect subscription active. The basic plan adds 1 year and then after that it's gone, even if you keep paying. They did say that after 1 year they usually replace for hardware faults, but it's at their discretion.

So far they have been a decent company to deal with and I guess their longer term business model is to make money from subs rather than hardware, so I can imagine they would replace a faulty product after 1 year if you were a paying subscriber. I'm not sure about one that was damaged though. I guess you could always ask someone to steal it :cool:

Are these cameras constantly uploading to the Ring servers or is it just by motion or on-demand viewing?

Are these cameras constantly uploading to the Ring servers or is it just by motion or on-demand viewing?

Would imagine its when detected.

How many feet in length and width does the flood light cam cover? I have a fairly long driveway and my rear garden approx 40ft wide.

One of these companies should make a flood light camera that can be mounted to a corner er to cover the front and side of a garden.

I'd need to buy 3 of these - drive, front of garden and side of garden.

How many feet in length and width does the flood light cam cover? I have a fairly long driveway and my rear garden approx 40ft wide.

One of these companies should make a flood light camera that can be mounted to a corner er to cover the front and side of a garden.

I'd need to buy 3 of these - drive, front of garden and side of garden.
Yes I would like to know as well.

Bother! I was too late for additional discounts. Now it seems you can't add discount codes to offers already in place.

I've just installed a Ring 2 door bell. Really impressed in the quality of the video. Worked perfectly so far. I've had no issues with Wifi like some are reporting.

Really please with it so far.

You get seasonal one as well. I chose the Santa Ho Ho Ho at Christmas for instance.

Can't find this on my Chime Tones?

Seasonal. Halloween ones at the moment

Yes, will teach me to read the whole thread before replying. Lol

Anyone brought a spare battery yet? Best place to buy one?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom