Ring Video Doorbell Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Greg Hook, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +11,079
    2. ODB_69

ODB_69
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,615
      Have had one of these for around a year now along with the chime so few bits of info

Charge lasts ages but is dependent on what your preferences are, adding motion puts more pressure on the battery life so on average with us having motion set to standard but on full range we charge every 2/3 months. You'll easily burn through in a month if you have live view on, however really should only use this if you have it wired

Extremely sensitive to Wi-Fi changes so every now and then it will drop out altogether despite everything else Wi-Fi working fine. Can be a pain and device health will show as fine still annoyingly

Every now and again it goes a bit loopy, sends you false motion notifications (but doesnt record any video), starts delaying button presses or motion, ring button goes into a cycle and it's ringing for a few minutes

Also my first units motion sensors packed up altogether after 8 months so had to have it replaced.

Can't fault the warranty, even covering you if the unit itself gets stolen

For me it's not perfect, however I would say in a few revisions time it should be far far better

• Like Like x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    3. chrisstu

chrisstu
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      There are a few weaknesses in the review IMHO. Given the various complaints online about delays between pressing and receiving notifications, this should be addressed. And no mention of the need for the device to make an internet connection to Rings servers. In theory this could use the local wifi network for notifications, avoiding internet issues and making it more reliable. Personally I just installed a wired video entryphone with no need for internet, simply because I want reliability over everything else.

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,093
      How easy would it be to nick the doorbell or knacker it?

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,079
      I can only review how it worked for me. Not what issues others have had. I had no delays or issues, so can only review how I experience it. I obviously kept an eye on the main thread for this device and can see a few issues experienced by people, but on my side I had none.

It's screwed to the back plate with two security screws. So can't be easily removed. But can of course be knackered and removed with brute force if needs be although I obviously didn't do a destructive test on it! But as mentioned in my review if it is stolen Ring will give you a new one for free when you provide them a police report.

6. missgee

missgee
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      I installed the ring pro a couple of weeks ago; like the OBD_69 said it is "extremely sensitive to Wi-Fi changes so every now and then it will drop out altogether despite everything else Wi-Fi working fine".

The most annoying thing for me is how quiet the chime plug is, you'd be lucky to hear it over a TV, and I can only hear it in the room its plugged in, I'm not even sure one per floor would do it.

With regards to installation;
      I originally had a push doorbell running to a battery powered chime unit, and this had to go- the basic ring doorbell can be wireless, but ring pro needs a wired push AND, what they don't spell out, it then also needs a wired connection to mains power. They supply a transformer in the box and say you could wire this into your existing chime unit if it already has a mains connection, but what we did was wire the push button to the transformer and just put a bit of flex and plug on the transfomer, which works fine. HOWEVER it means I lost the original doorbell chime box, and their plug in unit is appalling.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    7. ODB_69

ODB_69
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,615
      Free replacement if stolen under warranty, not sure about if damaged

So unit itself slides on to a plate, 2 small screws at the bottom hold it to the plate. Fits fairly snug so difficult to remove unless they have a set of small star screwdrivers. The plate itself anchored to the wall so only getting that off with some serious force from a hammer or crowbar which would probably destroy the unit itself in the process

I've taken the risk of using heavy duty Velcro though to attach to my UPVC door which works nicely without causing damage

Something else the review misses, though novelty, the doorbell chimes. You get seasonal one as well. I chose the Santa Ho Ho Ho at Christmas for instance. Admittedly the volume got turned down on that after a while

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,079
      Surprised at that, not sure if you have a dud as the chime I was sent was very loud. I had to turn it down actually.

I did mention the doorbell chimes, especially the dogs barking. :)

9. ODB_69

ODB_69
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,615

Yeah I spotted that, just seasonal tones only appear during seasonal times. Around Thanksgiving there was a turkey gobble tone and there was a load of different ones at Christmas lol

10. Jeek

Jeek
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      Agree with the comments so far. I'm also a long term user. When it works well it works well, but agreed its very sensitive to WiFi fluctuations or internet bandwidth performance. I have a powerful wifi router and high speed broadband but ended up buying a powerline wifi extender and put it as close as possible to the Ring. Since then I rarely have any issues. Before that I'd quite often get stalled video or even not be able to connect.

I don't have any issues with battery life. It last a good month or two for me even with live view enabled. I do have the range sensitivity turned down quite low however as otherwise people and cars passing the drive would trigger it, rather than only people on the drive.

One of the main issues I see is the time taken to start uploading video when movement is triggered. Rather than immediately record, buffer and start uploading once its connected to the wifi, it appears to only record once connected to the wifi (it sleeps until the IR camera is triggered). So quite often you can miss the initial few seconds of movement. I had a youngster playing knock doors for a week on the house (obviously as he loved the chime noise it makes) and I always only caught the back of his head as he ran away! Having said that since Live View mode was introduced and I got the wifi extender this aspect is a bit better.

11. Superaintit

Superaintit
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      Something I don't understand is...why would a burglar go for the front door?
      Isn't it obvious he or she would choose the easiest way in and would rather choose a backdoor or a window than the front door?

12. shango

shango

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +643
      I'm sure the police will be rushing round to your house to file a report when you ring them up and tell them your door bell has been stolen :D

13. ODB_69

ODB_69
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,615
      Lol I have thought this as Well, despite owning one

The good thing is you get to see the video of them stealing it at least

14. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +440
      [​IMG]

15. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,079
      Often they ring the doorbell first to double check no one is in. Clearly they wouldn't break in from the front door but it's a good place to confirm the house is empty.

As I'm sure you're aware you don't need the police to attend to get a report for insurance purposes.

16. MikeTheBike2010

MikeTheBike2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +138
      Looks like an interesting gadget, did I not see this on Click recently in their hall of shame of devices which were insecure WiFi wise (allowed anyone with the nous access?).

17. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
      AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,715
      @Greg Hook are you doing a long term test of the doorbell? Because if so, then you can update the review with any issues should they arise.
      In the mean time, we as a review site can scrutinise products more in the areas where there are known issues, but we can only report on what we find. As an independent review organisation our most importent asset is our impartiality and transparency and the reputation we have in that regard. So if we have the opportunity to report on any issues we find during long term tests, we will do whenever it's possible.

18. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,079
      Yes, it is a long term test. So if issues do develop and remain I will of course update the review.

19. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +797
      I don't know why at all... but I want want of these. And nobody ever knocks on my door. :)

20. Fake Shempz

Fake Shempz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +173
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    21. Jeek

Jeek
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      One of the most common forms of burglary is an opportunist thief that simply tries a few front or back doors until they find one that's been left unlocked. If you think about it it makes perfect sense - you don't look suspicious if you open a front door and walk in vs climbing in through a window.
      A local resident that had a ring doorbell recently posted a video on Facebook of someone trying their front door in the middle of the night.

If you follow Ring on Facebook, their feed is practically full of videos of:
      • Someone checking the front door to see if they can get in, and they can't.
      • Someone checking the front door to see if they can get in, and they can but they've now been caught on video.
      • Someone checking the front door to see if they can get in, and the home owner shouts at them with Ring and they run away.
      • People stealing parcels left on the front porch (very prevalent in the US it seems).
      Personally and luckily I've had no one suspicious do anything since I got it (except the odd knock door run). Meanwhile I've been able to use it to talk to parcel delivery people to tell them where to leave the parcel or to take it back with them. Also used it to ignore the odd salesman or someone "sharing their good news".

22. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,462
      Can't see the point of this TBH , really can't see the benefit for us in our home.

23. shango

shango

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +643
      yes but judging from many reviews and samples of quality i've seen you'd be telling the police "he looked like that bloke from minecraft"

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    24. ODB_69

ODB_69
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,615
      Well it's certainly not at the level the tv adverts show however it's not as bad as some of the things I have seen. It's quite viewable tbh but yeah a better camera would be nice

25. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +797
      No good then. No excuse for feeble cameras today.

26. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,079
      The quality is very good actually.

27. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
      AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,715
      I think this product is similar to a dashcam from the perspective of insuring yourself against a potentially expensive problem. A £150 dashcam will pay for itself if it proves another driver is at fault in just one disputed accident. A £150 security doorbell will pay for itself if it deters burglars or helps capture the scumbags just once.
      If I ever need either a dashcam or doorbell to help prove a case, I think I'd want the best possible quality video, so I'd get the unit with the better resolution and frame rate.
      I'd consider the Ring Doorbell pro for its 1080p resolution.
      I don't fancy installing it myself though.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    28. Superaintit

Superaintit
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      According to this :“Secrets of a Professional Burglar”
      burglars are indeed usually probing a house before they act. Apparently a warning like "Extremely dangerous non-barking Doberman in the house. Do not enter." is even more effective. :)

29. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,079
      That's why the dogs barking tone on the chime seemed like a great one to use.

30. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +29
      Hi Greg

Thanks for reviewing this. I am a little surprised it scored so high when you only have the option to pay for recordings rather than being able to record to your own NAS for instance. This limits things if you wish to integrate it into a larger cctv system. Also isnt there a new Ring coming out with a removable battery? Was the one reviewed the new version?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017