Ring Video Doorbell and Notifications

facecard20

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a RV Doorbell 2 and haven't had any problems with it until recently. Last week, after I charged the battery and I was not getting any notifications on my iPhone 8. Obviously I went through the basic troubleshooting steps to figure it out. I was never able to figure it out.

I am not sure if anyone else had this problem or have any thoughts on it. Again, I am using an iPhone not an Android phone. I am expecting to get a new *hopefully* Ring Video Doorbell this week.

I have a RV Doorbell 2 and haven't had any problems with it until recently. Last week, after I charged the battery and I was not getting any notifications on my iPhone 8. Obviously I went through the basic troubleshooting steps to figure it out. I was never able to figure it out.

I am not sure if anyone else had this problem or have any thoughts on it. Again, I am using an iPhone not an Android phone. I am expecting to get a new *hopefully* Ring Video Doorbell this week.
I have the Ring Doorbell Pro
under settings have you checked the system Health?
Have you contacted Ring support?
once you get past the scripted replies they tend to be very good

As part of the basic troubleshooting, I did look at the system health and it appears normal. As I said before, I am expecting a new doorbell. I did contact Ring support and at first, they thought it was my phone. I had to convince them that it was their product and not the phone. They appeared very skeptical that it could be their device that failed or some part of the device had failed. Once I receive the new doorbell and I configure it, that is where the answer will be.

They certainly won't admit to it being their device they are more likely blame system Health as in weak WiFi signal or the battery not being fully charged

I did have a Ring Doorbell 2 but returned it due to the image freezing and breaking up

the hardwired Doorbell Pro is more stable but its still not perfect but at least I know that the voltage is "Very Good [4026 mV] " and I can see that the WiFi signal strength is "good [RSSI -42]" so they can't use that as an excuse

my issue is with recorded sound intelligibility
2 guys were at the front door and I couldn't make out what they were saying to each other on the recording
my video recording 30 day trial expires today so that could be a dealbreaker for me

I know they will certainly never admit that it is their device. Here is a direct quote from Stephen, "Please know that all of our Ring devices are not designed to last temporarily. We have Ring neighbors using the same Ring device for years without incident".

After he said that, I explained they need to consider the 1% of devices that fail for unforeseen reasons. I think it is funny.

IMO the Ring doorbell has great potential but it is a flawed product
hopefully things will improve in time

Here is my update. Yesterday, I receive the new doorbell. This morning, 9am EST, I unboxed the new device and proceeded to replace the old with the new. On my iPhone 8 running iOS 12.3 I removed the old device and logged off. Once I installed the new doorbell, I proceeded to put the OLD battery in since I was given a nearly drained new battery, I continued with the configuration. I joined the doorbell to my Wifi and started to receive notifications after rebooting my Synology router.

I thought well problem solved...... Right?

-10.13am (first MOTION notification)

and so on

-1.16pm (Last MOTION notification)

I have not had one single notification on my phone and other devices since 1.16PM. I have adjusted the motion and related settings. NOTHING. I have even tried my phone on LTE and still nothing. I know it is NOT my router or Wifi that is causing some interference or contributing to the issue. I could be wrong though. Once I charged the NEW battery I even tried to use the new battery. It didn't resolve the issue.

I sent an update to Ring support. I can't wait to hear what they suggest.

It will be interesting to hear what they say

I will now update my thoughts on my Ring Doorbell Pro
we went away for a weeks Holiday to the Canary Islands and did receive motion notifications

on one occasion 2 guys came to the door but when reviewing the video the audio recording was very bad and it was impossible to distinguish what they were saying to each other
after doing a Google search this seems to be a common complaint that Ring has so far failed to acknowledge as an issue

add to that my 30 day trial of saving recordings to the Ring cloud has now expired and as I suspected other than viewing the "live" feed makes the doorbell all but useless
so the only choice left is to accept the situation or subscribe to Ring cloud storage

this is a problem with smart products there is too much reliance on the manufacturers cloud service and if the company ever ceases trading you are left with a very dumb and expensive piece of plastic

Yesterday, I spoke to Stephen and his suggestion with help from Dev team to open several ports on my router. They are confident this will resolve my issue. I don't know how to open these ports on the router because some of them conflict with each other or other firewall rules.

The Ring app was updated two weeks ago which is around the time I started having problems and I told them about my theory. The App is on 5.11.2 and I still feel strongly about my opinion on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom