Ring Video Doorbell 3. Bad Wifi/RSSI... Mesh network not great

TomUK1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a Ring Video Doorbell 3. I am on 1GB internet with a superhub 4. The superhub is in a room at the back of the house upstairs and the doorbell is obviously at the front door. My house isn't big it's a standard 3 bedroomed semi detahced

In the ring app, it was showing RSSI as -70 and sometimes higher, live view would take a while to work and there were other issues

I purchased the Ring Chime Pro which is supposed to be a wifi booster and I put it at the bottom of the stairs near the front door, this bought the RSSI down to -50's but it was a bit unstable. I tried it in other places in the house but it was just as unstable

My next step today was to buy a mesh network. I bought a 2 set of Tenda Nova MW5G, put one next to the superhub as the main one needs to be connected with ethernet and I put one downstairs in the living room, which I would say is about half way apart from the hub and the doorbell. The mesh system improved wifi signal, but it's done nothing to help with the RSSI on my ring doorbell. Still showing as -70's, but it does seem to be working okay, but obviously -70s isn't ideal and it still might cause issues with choppy recordings

I have no idea what the next thing to try is... I just want to get my doorbell on a stable connection. Any ideas ?

Is the doorbell connected to the correct mesh hub ? I used to have issues with a stick up cam connecting to the wrong hub

Is the doorbell connected to the correct mesh hub ? I used to have issues with a stick up cam connecting to the wrong hub

Yeah, it's correctly connected to the mesh wifi. I named my hub and the mesh wifi with different SSID's so I'd know which was which

As above is it actually connecting to the nearest Mesh AP or maybe to the one attached directly to the router

As above is it actually connecting to the nearest Mesh AP or maybe to the one attached directly to the router

That's a good question and I'm not sure how you're able to tell in the Tenda app... I think it should automatically connect to the closest one ?

That's a good question and I'm not sure how you're able to tell in the Tenda app... I think it should automatically connect to the closest one ?

Not necessarily. In theory if you power off the Ring for a few minutes it should connect fresh to the closest but it may not.

Not necessarily. In theory if you power off the Ring for a few minutes it should connect fresh to the closest but it may not.

I've just checked my tenda app and it's connected to the closest AP to the doorbell. You said yours is ok at -78, you don't have any issues at all ? Mine seems to be able to do live view now at -70

Some AP systems you can bar devices from connecting to a particular AP to “force them” to connect to the one you need. I don’t use Tenda so can’t give specific help

Why not try adding your Ring Chime closer to your doorbell now that your mesh system will give a wider coverage throughout the house?

But depending on your external wall construction you may be struggling to improve the reception - it would be better if you can add the chime or mesh node so that the radio waves pass directly through the wall to the doorbell at 90 degrees rather than travelling at an angle, as this reduces the amount of wall structure in the path of the radio waves. That could improve the signal strength of you can get the placement right.

But if the wall has foil-backed insulation boards then you may find there’s little you can do unless you add an external wifi AP.

The one issue I've noticed is that tenda only connects to the ring at 5ghz you can't separately create a 2.4ghz and 5ghz network

I'm not sure if connecting to the ring at 5ghz will cause issues

Why not try adding your Ring Chime closer to your doorbell now that your mesh system will give a wider coverage throughout the house?

But depending on your external wall construction you may be struggling to improve the reception - it would be better if you can add the chime or mesh node so that the radio waves pass directly through the wall to the doorbell at 90 degrees rather than travelling at an angle, as this reduces the amount of wall structure in the path of the radio waves. That could improve the signal strength of you can get the placement right.

But if the wall has foil-backed insulation boards then you may find there’s little you can do unless you add an external wifi AP.

If I add the chime pro back do I connect it to the chime pro network or leave it on the mesh WiFi ? If I connect it to chime pro doesn't that make the mesh WiFi useless

I've found a place where the chime pro gives better signal to the doorbell, RSSI down to -62

The tendas were good for wifi boosting but they were also very slow, 40mbps where as the superhub 4 was giving 150

Wired APs back to the router is the best solution otherwise you are just trying you use bad wifi to connect to router

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom