1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ring Video Doorbell 2 Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +9,109
    2. pr1vatepiles

pr1vatepiles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +44
      Missed out when Argos had the Ring 2 and chime package for £169 last week. Looks a cool bit of a kit with some great improvements over the first model. The thing I like most about Ring is their subscriptions. £80 a year may seem a lot to some folks, but when you get unlimited cameras on that, I think it's a good deal.

3. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,175
      Any better, cheaper alternatives to this?

4. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +344
      I bought this two weeks ago and must say for the money it is excellent value. All the bits came with it to install it, even supplied the drill bit and spirit level! The after care and support is excellent too.

5. Technikal

Technikal

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +56
      It will be interesting to see how NEST's version of this compares, when it is released early 2018.

6. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,484
      The Nest Hello is going to provide big competition to the Ring doorbells.

I bought the Ring Pro & Chime package from the local Argos last Saturday night and had to go through 3 full retail kits before I had one that worked.

The first had a faulty transformer, the second the doorbell was DOA and then even in the third package the changeable fascias are all scratched up. I reached out to their support on the second one and was advised to wait for an hour to see if the unit came online but nothing happened. Sure enough the third one took longer than 30 minutes to power up but as soon as it fired up it stayed up.

I've had multiple issues so far and Ring say they'll get back to you on the help@ring.com email within 1 day but so far I've got outstanding requests at 3 days and 2 days with no answer from Ring at all.

The Ring Pro has more advanced motion detection than this Ring 2 and so far it has missed multiple occasions where people are at the door which were picked up on CCTV - it's even missed the wife and daughter walking out to school in a morning through the motion zone.

These things are very reliant on good WiFi and internet uplink - if you lose your internet link these become dumb devices.

You can speed up firmware updates by clicking the Live View button within the app - at the end of the session it sends all the stats on the session over to Ring and you can see from these the number of dropped packets etc.

Night time quality isn't great either - here's a quick comparison:
      Hikvision Darkfighter 3Mp (IR Enabled): https://i.imglnx.com/VhvUVx.jpg
      Dahua StarVis 2Mp (IR off): https://i.imglnx.com/dfyjYu.jpg
      Ring Pro Doorbell 1.9.3 (IR Enabled): https://i.imglnx.com/zTeaXC.png

Hopefully they'll improve things via firmware - if not I'll be moving to Nest Hello after I've seen some good reports.

-- Edit --
      OK fair play 48 hours after the last email they've literally just responded to replacing the faceplates but so far all the other issues are being ignored.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    7. itm

itm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      It's a shame about the need for a cloud service for storing recordings. I'd much prefer the option of running an in-house server for that (given that I already have one running for my media server etc). Looks like an IP cam and Blue Iris continue to be the best bet for those who want to cut out the cloud middle man (and the monthly usage tax).

8. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,484
      Blue Iris is great software and I use that here too.

Ironically we've just had a 48 hour internet outage and the Ring Doorbell was absolutely useless during this period both the doorbell and the two chimes became complete bricks with no doorbell chimes whatsoever. With the Pro you bypass the existing door chime so it really backs you into a corner.

I'd have expected the chimes to have still functioned via a multicast message over Wi-Fi but it seems they need internet access for even that to function.

We've got another outage to come today as it's a cabinet fault so more of the same today unfortunately.

9. itm

itm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      That's a huge dealbreaker for me - I always try to steer clear of remote solutions which require an intermediary who may not be around in a few years' time. Or who might decide to hike their service charges.

10. carasek

carasek
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Generally poor experience with the Ring 2 so far. My internet speeds aren’t great (8Mbps/512Kbps), but my IP cameras work without issue: they connect quickly, give at least 720p resolution and one can hear clear voices in both directions.

However, the Ring 2 takes ages to show me the live view, the image is choppy at best, very poor in the dark and it’s impossible to communicate as voices are indecipherable.

I have a Chime extender right next to the unit, which claims a good connection, but it’s poor. I don’t quite understand why the IP cams work fine, but this does not. Perhaps it’s sending the video via off-site servers first?

If you fiddle around with locations, be prepared to reset one or both units time and again, because even though set up is straightforward, it can be very buggy.

It’s basically an expensive motion sensor that sends alerts to my phone.

11. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,484
      @carasek you're potentially seeing a lot of those issues due to your internet uplink speed - Ring do say they need a minimum of 1Mbps internet uplink speed and they recommend 2Mbps so for a lot of people in the UK that's fibre territory.

The thing with Ring is that even when you're trying to do Live View it isn't talking straight from the Ring doorbell to your phone - it's all going via Ring servers as a SIP video & audio session so you've got the Ring Doorbell trying to upload the data to an EC2 instance on Amazon Web Services and then your handset is trying to download the data. That's why your IP cams are working great as they're all local. It's a shame Ring can't do Live View locally. Maybe in a future firmware as I really don't get the point of hauling all that data out to the USA and then back again as it just introduces unnecessary latency.

It's also very sensitive to Wi-Fi AP placement, I run Ubiquiti kit at home and I found it was struggling when I first bought the doorbell and the choppy video I was seeing over 2GHz Wi-Fi was improved when I bought another Ubiquiti AC-Lite AP and then placed that in the garage and it then used forced 5GHz (I'm seeing Wi-Fi tx & rx speeds of over 100Mbps over 5Ghz 802.11NA Wi-Fi)

12. Captainoats

Captainoats
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      I have the original ring 720p doorbell and it has been brilliant for answering the alert when I am out and diverting deliveries to a neighbour. It also recorded an incident when a delivery driver backed into a neighbours car as it recorded the whole thing.
      Major downside is the night vision. If you have any form of street lighting within the Ring's line of wide vision anything that comes up close to the camera will be white. So a face or car reg is white and you cannot make anything out. We have tried another Ring replacement and tech support (although very supportive over the phone) changed the aperture settings remotely but again this made no difference. They sent out a kit (which helps you angle the Ring device downwards) but again no solution. Eventually they concluded the issue couldn't be resolved due to the street lighting (council are not going to move a street light!). We attempted to put security lights above it but didn't cancel out the street light. So be warned that if you have a street light opposite it will not function very well at night, apart from that it is ace.
      To solve this issue we are having an additional security camera installed above (another make) that doesn't react to street lights.
      I don't see how the Ring2 is going to solve this issue but it is a known problem with the Ring 1 on forums.

13. slay

slay

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      I got the Video Doorbell 2 / Chime pack from Argos, setup was easy and worked well for about an hour. I have the Amplifi router 5 feet from the doorbell with 2.4 and 5 g split ssid's, 70Meg down and 20 up on BT Infinity, 100% signal strength at the bell on my phone but the app reports a RSSI of -46.

I get choppy pausing video randomly, the unit seems to go into deep sleep and liveview wont connect first thing in the morning until motion has been detected or the bell activated. When it does work its great but that's only 50% of the time at present - I have never seen the doorbell transmit any faster than 1Mbps even though its capable of 2, anything else on my network can hit 200Mbps with no issues.

14. Captainoats

Captainoats
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      How thick are your walls for it to reach the amplifi? I purchased a repeater for my wifi (using BT Infinity 2) as the signal was poor from the outside to the BT router. Repeater solved the problem (Almond) and now get a very good signal. From experience I have no end of problems with the BT hub spooling on wifi but the Almond unit picks up a better signal than the BT router! If you are still having issues then speak to Ring tech support as there is something odd happening unless you have lead door/walls!!!

15. slay

slay

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Standard double block walls, not using the BT hub for the reason you state. Use a netgear D7000 in modem only straight into the amplify.

Get brilliant wifi coverage over whole house and garden (3 bed detached bungalow)and even in garage that's separate from house by 60ft

Tried fixing wifi channel but no improvement.

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,897
      Anyone brought a spare battery yet? Best place to buy one?

Thanks

17. Captainoats

Captainoats
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18

That is odd. I would suggest speaking to their Tech support team. They are very helpful. Doesn't sound right that you are having these issues as I'm not having them with my devices. Hope they solve it for you.

18. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,484
      Well what a mess - it seems the server instances Ring use were overloaded today and lots of UK users had no events after 17:35 - mine didn't record anything or even ring the chimes until 18:44.

The whole system became an expensive brick again.

Ring really need to up their game as if the same servers are overloaded during Halloween in the US this evening they'll be getting lots of bad press tomorrow.

19. thfccambs

thfccambs
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,897
      With being away ATM that sounds great. Monitor not going of with kids coming around every 5 mins.

20. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,484
      Oh well Ring really didn't prepare and not only was it down during peak time Halloween UK but also down during peak Halloween traffic time in the USA.

Hells door-bells! Ring pieces paralyzed in horror during Halloween trick-or-treat rush

Someone over there is already reporting their car was stolen during the outage.

And Ring want you to buy into their security ecosphere of products which don't work at peak times?

I really hope potential purchasers read this far down the comments - wait for Google Nest Hello or buy another system and always have a backup :)

21. Captainoats

Captainoats
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      Yeah that is really poor planning on their part! No wonder we didn't have any ring alerts on Halloween when we were out. I thought it was really odd. I am having a different video camera solution installed soon which cancels the ring out. Nice idea in practice (and worked well this evening when someone called although we still have the white face issues which is riff on this product at night) but no where near as good as it should be. I don't believe the ring technical or R&D team really look at fixing said issues in the ring 1 as the ring 2 has the same issue.

22. anticlaus105

anticlaus105

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +75
      Are you getting something to go along side the ring, or a replacement? What are you getting? I'm looking at some hikvision stuff to go along side for now. I will try and live with ring, but when the nest is released, if they haven't upped their game, it's gone.

23. Captainoats

Captainoats
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      I am getting the
      Netatmo Presence Outdoor Security Camera
      - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LY7NQ8D/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3HLN7QKN9NRQA&colid=25VS0J75BR5A6

Reviews are good and Netatmo are a good brand. This will sit higher above my front door and the Ring will stay where it is so it will work along side it. I do like the Nest option as we have Nest 3 in the house and it is fantastic so their products are great. I wasn't sure about the Nest external camera hence why I am getting the Netatmo. Once the Nest comes out (and they confirm they don't have aperture issues) then I will move the ring to the back door so it can just be there to view any activity. Shame it won't be until quarter 2 or 3 next year.

24. slay

slay

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      After a couple of days messing about with Ring Support (they tried blaming my wifi which is now upgraded to a multi Access Point Unifi system which gives me pretty much 100% signal all over the house) they finally agreed to replace the unit, new one shipped from Germany in three of days at no charge. Its like night and day, blocky artefacts are vastly reduced, no freezing or jerkiness yes - fingers crossed this one will stay working as it should.

25. Captainoats

Captainoats
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      Hope it works out for you.