Ring Spotlight Wired questions

MrMav11

Does anyone have a Ring Spotlight wired camera?

It seems to have a cable pre-fitted with a plug, and no way to remove the plug or cable at the camera end to push through a hole, to run to a wall socket inside the house.

Seems daft as what’s the point in having it to an outside socket (even if I had one) to then switch easily off?

Has anyone fitted one, did you cut off the plug and fit back on inside the house via a junction box, or can you disconnect at camera, and will doing either invalid warranty?

How are the light on these, I have a small garden and wanting it for lighting at night as well.

Can you tilt it down as the instructions indicate it stretches to 30ft, whereas that is way too far, I’d need 10ft at most. Or maybe would need a bracket to tilt it more downward pointing?

As it’s wired do people just leave it to record 24/7 anyway? I have a ring doorbell and have to limit it a bit as it’s battery and I’m lucky if I get a month out of battery.

Thanks

Inked

Distinguished Member
Does anyone have a Ring Spotlight wired camera?

It seems to have a cable pre-fitted with a plug, and no way to remove the plug or cable at the camera end to push through a hole, to run to a wall socket inside the house.

Seems daft as what’s the point in having it to an outside socket (even if I had one) to then switch easily off?

Has anyone fitted one, did you cut off the plug and fit back on inside the house via a junction box, or can you disconnect at camera, and will doing either invalid warranty?

How are the light on these, I have a small garden and wanting it for lighting at night as well.

Can you tilt it down as the instructions indicate it stretches to 30ft, whereas that is way too far, I’d need 10ft at most. Or maybe would need a bracket to tilt it more downward pointing?

As it’s wired do people just leave it to record 24/7 anyway? I have a ring doorbell and have to limit it a bit as it’s battery and I’m lucky if I get a month out of battery.

Thanks
You can disconnect it at the camera end, it doesn’t invalidate the warranty.
Only takes a minute to do.

Not sure why you’d want to tilt it down further though.

You can set it to take snapshots between events but it only records when it senses motion.
5B355115-55E1-4AAE-AF3C-F9AC4CAB2857.png

MrMav11

You can disconnect it at the camera end, it doesn’t invalidate the warranty.
Only takes a minute to do.

Not sure why you’d want to tilt it down further though.

You can set it to take snapshots between events but it only records when it senses motion.
View attachment 1561148
Ah that’s good, nothing in Ring documentation etc says that you can do this. Even asked Ring and they mumbled something, as in no, then suggested a hardwire kit, I asked how did this and just mumbled about connect wires. Didn’t answer questions at all.

The above pic is that with the floodlight on?

Reason I may need to point further to ground is placement issue. The wall where I’d mount is where the back door is below also. The vision I’d need outwards from the camera is max 10ft as well, so probably better to point it down towards my garden to see below better where I’d want, rather than outwards where I don’t.

Thanks

Inked

Distinguished Member
Ah that’s good, nothing in Ring documentation etc says that you can do this. Even asked Ring and they mumbled something, as in no, then suggested a hardwire kit, I asked how did this and just mumbled about connect wires. Didn’t answer questions at all.

The above pic is that with the floodlight on?

Reason I may need to point further to ground is placement issue. The wall where I’d mount is where the back door is below also. The vision I’d need outwards from the camera is max 10ft as well, so probably better to point it down towards my garden to see below better where I’d want, rather than outwards where I don’t.

Thanks
Yeah, that’s with the light on.

This is with colour night vision on
9E7818CD-AC94-4469-9135-8B82196B53CB.png

MrMav11

Yep you need to cut the wire but I also remember a couple of years ago reading a thread where someone had this same issue and Ring advised it would NOT void the warranty.
You do need to cut the wire? @Inked says you can just disconnect at camera end? Not sure if there is a waterproof seal around though that you would damage, or wouldn’t be waterproof after opening?

Is that what you did - cut the wire?

Thanks

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Ah didn’t read that bit but maybe the model has since been adapted.
Mine is a very early release from years back and this was the only option then.
Makes sense that Ring would change it as it was a poor design but otherwise good product still working very well.

MrMav11

Makes sense that Ring would change it as it was a poor design but otherwise good product still working very well.
Ah ok thanks. I don’t think it’s an official way still tbh, asked Ring and they said to buy some hardwire kit, still didn’t explain to me how I’d then attach the wires though!?!

Inked

Distinguished Member
Yep you need to cut the wire but I also remember a couple of years ago reading a thread where someone had this same issue and Ring advised it would NOT void the warranty.
You do need to cut the wire? @Inked says you can just disconnect at camera end? Not sure if there is a waterproof seal around though that you would damage, or wouldn’t be waterproof after opening?

Is that what you did - cut the wire?

Thanks

Must have changed the design, very easy to remove and reattach.
Instructions are in this video

Mine is plugged in inside my garage and fed through a hole to the camera outside by following this vid.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom