Ring Spotlight Cam Battery Review & Comments

This is included in the Amazon prime deals day thing. On my screen it is on for £139, expiring mid day tomorrow (Wednesday 18th) at noon UK time.

I'm going to give it a go, since we have the doorbell and the chime extender which should allow connection from the back garden.

MB

Last edited:
This is included in the Amazon prime deals day thing. On my screen it is on for £139, expiring mid day tomorrow (Wednesday 18th) at noon UK time.

I'm going to give it a go, since we have the doorbell and the chime extender which should allow connection from the back garden.

MB
Totally off topic, but your Avatar has made me want a REAL Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Soooo Bad!

(Grew up in Derbyshire, but live in Germany now, & not so easy to get them here :()

So is the theft refund built into the price or not? At the beginning you say it is then at the end you says it’s £80 with the premium cloud account

It’s a nice and simple device for sure, but pretty pricey after the Prime Day deal and I hear need a very good Wi-fi signal.

I just bought (Prime Day) a well rated 4 camera system with Wi-fi booster and 1tb storage for £215. Sure it needs drilling and power, but once they are up that’s it’s and basically unlimited recording. Just hope it all works of course.

Sadly though we have have security camera industry that is massively growing and at least Ring are trying to make it easy to get evidence since without it your generally screwed.

I've got a few of these dotted around the house now and they work well.

Ring doorbell is excellent and the floodlight camera again a great device. I've not had any wifi issues and my router is on one side of the house and three cameras in different places. I've also got the solar panel that is keeping once camera fully topped up.

The none floodlight camera non wired is the worst of the lot. Still good but its not as clever at detecting image changes and relies on the PIR no the base for detections so thus then has limitations.

And yes my understanding is if you want the theft protection / damage cover its £80 a year, not great but overall a really good setup and great to avoid answering the door to doorstop sellers.

So is the theft refund built into the price or not? At the beginning you say it is then at the end you says it’s £80 with the premium cloud account.

Part of the Premium Cloud service at £80 includes lifetime warranty. That includes if it is ever damaged or stolen.

But, free to all Ring users is the free replacement service if the unit is stolen.
What to do if Your Ring Device is Stolen

Providing you follow the procedure in that link, Ring will replace it for free.

Got one of these for the in-laws and they're very happy with it. It's priced well and very easy to set up. The app is also very easy for anyone to use. Yes you can get cheaper camera system with it's own storage ect ect, but if you want easy to use at a good price then I don't think you can go wrong with ring. We currently have four cameras on our subscription and will look to add the alarm system to it once it is release in the UK. The £80 a year subscription is a freaking steal in my opinion.

It turns out that when you set up a ring account and individual devices it's crucial to have exactly the same address in exactly the same format for it to all work properly. I had a small discrepancy and it took an hour with (a very patient and supportive) ring support chap to sort.

MB

It turns out that when you set up a ring account and individual devices it's crucial to have exactly the same address in exactly the same format for it to all work properly. I had a small discrepancy and it took an hour with (a very patient and supportive) ring support chap to sort.

MB
There you go with
that Picture of a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie again!
I just got over the last desperate need, & now it's back all over again!:rotfl::rotfl:

Good price on Amazon at the moment.

upload_2018-8-13_12-35-8.png

I have just installed a wired spot light and wondering if anyone can help ?

When the sensor goes of the light doesn't come on. Anywhere in the settings I need to look?

Thanks, just ordered another from Amazon, a wireless one this time though.

Good price on Amazon at the moment.

View attachment 1049313

I have just installed a wired spot light and wondering if anyone can help ?

When the sensor goes of the light doesn't come on. Anywhere in the settings I need to look?

Thanks, just ordered another from Amazon, a wireless one this time though.

On the main screen for that unit, have you got the lights toggled on?
Then in the light settings themselves, do you have the motion zones for the lights set up as they are separate to the motion zones settings of the camera?

On the main screen for that unit, have you got the lights toggled on?
Then in the light settings themselves, do you have the motion zones for the lights set up as they are separate to the motion zones settings of the camera?

Thanks for the reply, I now have this set as below?

upload_2018-8-13_13-36-55.png
upload_2018-8-13_13-37-20.png

I thought this had the light on all the time?

Thanks I'll see how it goes.

Just for full disclosure and not a complaint. My front spotlight camera failed, not sure why, (potential water ingress) but its not working anymore.

An online chat with Ring and a few things to try to restart it and nothing. So 3 days later an entire replacement was sent out and its back to full fitness again.

In the interest of safety I have now also bought a silicone cover for it as it is in a rain prone are to see if that helps with what 'might' have been the issue. Oh and I was having multiple alerts for one camera movement and a delete of the app on my iPhone and a re-install has sorted that as well.

Just for full disclosure and not a complaint. My front spotlight camera failed, not sure why, (potential water ingress) but its not working anymore.

An online chat with Ring and a few things to try to restart it and nothing. So 3 days later an entire replacement was sent out and its back to full fitness again.

In the interest of safety I have now also bought a silicone cover for it as it is in a rain prone are to see if that helps with what 'might' have been the issue. Oh and I was having multiple alerts for one camera movement and a delete of the app on my iPhone and a re-install has sorted that as well.

Always found Ring CS geat.

Can I ask where you got the silicone case from?

Mine recently developed a fault. I would constantly have the warning "battery cover open" and eventually it wouldn't hold a charge. I triple checked the unit and the cover was always on properly. I have just received a new unit from Amazon. But, funny that the issue developed after a several large rain storms. Maybe there was a connection, who knows.

So i've bought a cover as per @CarMad s suggestion - thanks for that.

MB

Mine was giving the same message of battery door open and it wasn’t either. I noticed some water inside fogging the lens so putting the two together.....

Mine recently developed a fault. I would constantly have the warning "battery cover open" and eventually it wouldn't hold a charge. I triple checked the unit and the cover was always on properly. I have just received a new unit from Amazon. But, funny that the issue developed after a several large rain storms. Maybe there was a connection, who knows.

MB

I'm on my 2nd battery spot light as the first one had the same issue. Now the 2nd one has just started to do the same thing, I've deleted the app as Ring CS advised me but still the same issue.

Just sent Ring CS an email.

Oh and yes, it's raining.

MB

Mine was giving the same message of battery door open and it wasn’t either. I noticed some water inside fogging the lens so putting the two together.....

Been on the phone to ring again as my 2nd unit has now stopped working, started of with the battery open keep appearing on the app.

They've told me this morning that they haven't had no one mention any issues with the battery door saying it's open on the app. Maybe they should try google.

@CarMad @meltonboy
Do you both use Iphone? Any more issues on your new spotlights?

Thanks.

The new one has been fine so far despite the rain yesterday.

I do use and iPhone and was getting the same message before it failed. It does seem water related, IP55 might not be sufficient for our wet weather it seems. Have you made sure all the screws are put in the back and no holes are open?!?

I left the bung in the back of the camera this time as some added protection.

I
The new one has been fine so far despite the rain yesterday.

I do use and iPhone and was getting the same message before it failed. It does seem water related, IP55 might not be sufficient for our wet weather it seems. Have you made sure all the screws are put in the back and no holes are open?!?

I left the bung in the back of the camera this time as some added protection.
f these are assembled and installed as designed, IPx5 means

“5 Water jets
Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
Test duration: 1 minute per square meter for at least 15 minutes
Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m”

I remember UK rain but I don’t remember rain that can exceed a 5 for liquids on the IP rating. Either there is a flaw when these are installed, or they aren’t the same as the ones officially tested. IMO

Edit - having said that I would prefer at least IPx6 for true outdoors without any protection from eaves or structure. IPx6 ramps the jets up - in volume per minute, diameter of nozzle and pressure. IPx7 is the first that involves immersion but the extra cost (manufacture and purchase isn’t worth it for the majority of things we want to simply use outdoors. You won’t be dropping your security camera in the swimming pool in normal use.

Last edited:
I'd agree IP55 should be enough I'm familiar with the requirement, however how the test is performed within those requirements is another matter. Mine was exposed from all angles and I wonder being angled downwards if ingress in the back has occurred.

But a fair few have failed for reasons that aren't clear but rain related (it would seem). I've made sure I've put all the screws in the right place and left the bung in the top slot even though I'm not entirely sure it should still be there.

Fingers crossed this one lasts for longer. I have the floodlight camera as well and that has been fine but in a far more sheltered place, ditto the doorbell has been fine.

The test is from any direction. The IP system is pretty solid because the testing is standard - manufacturers can’t really fiddle except for outright lying about a rating.

The camera is sold as IP55 so if there is a water ingress related failure and the camera hasn’t been installed or used outside of the normal and stated uses, send it back and demand a refund.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom