Ring Spotlight Cam Battery Review & Comments

The camera was replaced without question from Ring. I’ve got the silicone sleeve on for two reasons now.

A tiny element of extra protection and it also has a lip over the top front of the camera to help rain not get on the lens but that won’t help with driving rain.

Fingers crossed it’s all water tight this time if I get anymore issues I will report back.

Thanks for the review, I have been considering one of these for a while. Also got a lot out of reading the comments but also fancy a damn pork pie now.

A couple of questions I have, has anyone tried the solar panel? does it work ok in our weather and poor levels of sunshine outside of summer?

Lastly, do you install these about 10ft or higher? I imagine if installed near the roof soffits, not only are you limiting access to the battery, but likely not be able to see the faces of the people approaching.

Thx

Thanks for the review, I have been considering one of these for a while. Also got a lot out of reading the comments but also fancy a damn pork pie now.

A couple of questions I have, has anyone tried the solar panel? does it work ok in our weather and poor levels of sunshine outside of summer?

Lastly, do you install these about 10ft or higher? I imagine if installed near the roof soffits, not only are you limiting access to the battery, but likely not be able to see the faces of the people approaching.

Thx

With the fitting height remember that you will need to access it to occasionally reconnect Wi-fi and remove battery to recharge. So if you fit it at a height that you can’t reach be prepared for some arse ache when you need to access it.

I’ve got the solar and it stays at 98+% every time I check it, it works very well. The panel is near the top of the house.

The Ring camera itself is above door height under a gutter and it’s working very well indeed.

The camera sleeve above helps water not go down the front and I have not had any other water issues even in heavy rain.

I’ve got the solar and it stays at 98+% every time I check it, it works very well. The panel is near the top of the house.

The Ring camera itself is above door height under a gutter and it’s working very well indeed.

The camera sleeve above helps water not go down the front and I have not had any other water issues even in heavy rain.

So you have a cable running from the solar panel on roof to the camera?

Yeah pretty much, it runs up the wall to a spot that gets better sun to keep the battery charged. There is quite a bit of cable so I need to run it a fair way away anyway.

Yeah pretty much, it runs up the wall to a spot that gets better sun to keep the battery charged. There is quite a bit of cable so I need to run it a fair way away anyway.
Placing these solar panels is critical for these solar recharge bits of equipment. I remember the house alarms with built in solar panel and they were basically useless in the UK if you wanted it at the front of the house as a deterrent and the front was north facing. Even here in Canberra I have a battery powered door on my chicken coop and fitted the panel on the top of the roof with 12 metres of cable added to the 4 metres supplied. The coop is on the south side of the building so a panel there wouldn’t charge the battery. The company that sells it says it is the only complaint they get - need a new battery as this one has died. Every time they check where the panel is, and all that is required is to move it. Worth the effort When installing these panels IMO.

So just as a bit of feedback on how the Solar panel is getting on.

I've had work going on at the house and over the past few days the movement at the front being almost constant had the Battery in the camera down to 65% which also coincided with the work stopping.

Two days later of semi sunny UK Autumn sun and the battery is back up to 100% again, I'd say that was pretty good.

I’ve purchase two of these cameras (due for delivery tomorrow). Wondering whether they are suitable for indoor use? Can they be disabled via the app when you are home and the be enabled at bed time/when going upstairs etc?

I’ve purchase two of these cameras (due for delivery tomorrow). Wondering whether they are suitable for indoor use? Can they be disabled via the app when you are home and the be enabled at bed time/when going upstairs etc?

I don't see why not. You can disable the alerts on your phone (you don't need to be at home). You can even set regular schedules to disable alerts (eg when you are generally at home).

The only issue you might find is that whilst you can disable the alerts i don't think you can disable the unit itself without taking the battery out. This means that it is going to record every single movement and every time it does this, it is using battery. I'm not 100% sure of this. I would say that i've found Ring CS very helpful in the past, so give them a bell (!).

You can also buy a spare battery from ring for about £20-25 as the unit has space for two (but is delivered with one).

Maybe someone here can help re: disabling the unit itself ?

You would also need to configure the light coming on as that would be quite annoying indoors. it is quite bright. I do think this is possible, but again i'm not 100% sure.

Good luck

MB

I don't see why not. You can disable the alerts on your phone (you don't need to be at home). You can even set regular schedules to disable alerts (eg when you are generally at home).

The only issue you might find is that whilst you can disable the alerts i don't think you can disable the unit itself without taking the battery out. This means that it is going to record every single movement and every time it does this, it is using battery. I'm not 100% sure of this. I would say that i've found Ring CS very helpful in the past, so give them a bell (!).

You can also buy a spare battery from ring for about £20-25 as the unit has space for two (but is delivered with one).

Maybe someone here can help re: disabling the unit itself ?

You would also need to configure the light coming on as that would be quite annoying indoors. it is quite bright. I do think this is possible, but again i'm not 100% sure.

Good luck

MB

Thanks MB! I’ve contacted Ring CS and they have advised that it’s possible to disable all of the motion zones via the app. This will then mean that no recording takes place.

I was considering the mains units but didn’t like the idea of wires running down walls and definitely didn’t want to start having to chase wiring into walls etc.

Also like the idea of scaring the life out of any would be burglars with a 100 dB and a bright spot light in a small confined space.

"Motion zones" - had forgotten about that. Sounds like you are good to go then.

If i pop round to your place when you are out, i had better remember my sunglasses then!

MB

Hi, I just installed two ring spotlight battery. One on my front yard , the other in my backyard. It already paid off. I have those installed just over a month now.

Yesterday while at work during lunch hour I received the backyard spotlight motion alert on my phone. A lady pushed the gate opened, followed by a male and he started to beat her up!

I called the police, activated the alarm and drove home.

On reviewing the footage is looks like the alarm might have spooked both of them. They scrambled and ran out of the backyard. In all honesty, it looked like they know each other and the male was beating up his partner.

So far I'm very impressed with the almost instantaneous response from the camera, as when I press the alarm icon and it started to go off.

I will have the wired ring floodlight cam installed by an electrician tomorrow at my garage. We'll see what other random things it will record now.

Good luck

MB

Yes you can toggle the light to go on or off when motion is detected.

One of the best things I noticed back when we're still using Ring. Its motion sensor has always been on point. I loved how we get notified right away. We were away for a few minutes but the kids were at home when we received this alert that someone was on our front door, trying to open our door. The alarm went off and he ran. I was about to to use the 2way communication when the siren went off, I ended up calling the kids instead and warned them to just stay inside the house and keep the doors closed until we get home. still getting the creeps. unfortunately, for some reason, it died after two years of use, it just stopped working. T'was great till it lasted though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom