Ring Security Camera - Do I need to improve my wireless signal? How?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by NeilF, Jul 17, 2018.

1. NeilF

NeilF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    So I've got a Ring Spotlight Cam (wired) on the way - Plan is it's going on the garage wall outside the front of our house.

Now, I ran a wireless strength application on my phone and held it in the rough location I plan to put the device, and it was certainly getting a signal, albeit low. I ran an internet speed test (on the phone) and it measured 8.5 Mbps down and 3.6 Mbps up, which to my mind would see adequate to upload clips and show a live stream?

Worse case, it seems daft buying a Ring Chime Pro just to extend the wireless signal, so could I just buy any old wireless extender and plug one of those in the garage?

ps: Why have they moulded the lead onto this thing? Why not make it detatchable so you can drill a 1cm hold instead of a 2inch hole (which of course you won't do). I'll either try sneaking the lead out around the outside of the garage door, or, cutting the lead (invalidating the warranty) and putting it rhough the wall as any sensible design would allow.

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,127
    If you haven't got a strong signal than a wireless extender won't help as it doesn't have a strong signal to extend ;) And if you need a cable to get a better signal than you may as well have a normal access point. Depending on the situation of your electric cabling a home plug with wifi access point starter kit might be a better solution.

3. chez1hunts

chez1hunts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ho

How did you get on?

4. NeilF

NeilF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Well, by coincidence, today's job was to put my new TP-Link TL-WA901ND Access Point in the garage, literally the other side of the wall to where the Ring camera will go.

My phone's wifi analyser was measuring -85dBm where the camera is going. It's now measuring -42dBm.

Doing a wifi speed test I get:-
    Ping: 10ms
    Download: 24.65Mbps
    Upload: 3.72Mbps​

I hope this all means that the Ring camera will play super nice!

I'll be putting that up tomorrow :)

5. andy mc

andy mc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Would be nice to see a screenshot from the video once its all working :)

6. NeilF

NeilF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
  7. andy mc

andy mc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Love to see a video clip please...

8. facecard

facecard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same issues as well. Although I have the Video Doorbell 2, my wifi signal is -67 which I know there is moderate interference. I plan on getting Ring spotlight cam and putting it above my garage door. However, I need to improve the signal first. I am planning on getting a wifi extender and placing that closer to the doorbell and spotlight cam.

9. NeilF

NeilF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    My unit is reading -32 now with an extender (with its own wireless network) using a homeplug from my garage to my router. What's frustrating, is my front door is about 8m away from this new extender and the signal there is probably too poor for a Ring Doorbell. So I'd need yet another extender?

BTW, there's a really daft bit of functionality with these cameras (spotlight too I'd imagine). At night, the camera can detect motion, and notify/record it. Hoever, there's not simply an option to also say, if you spot motion as well as recording it, turn the light on (at night).

Instead the light is independent on a PIR, meaning you can get the daft situation of a notification and recording of motion at night, and the light not being turned on.

Quite simply there needs to be two simple additions to the software:-
    1) In the motion detection options, a new "Turn Light On" option so at night, if motion is detected/recorded, the light is turned on.
    2) In the PIR related options, a new "Record" option so if the PIR is triggered, the camera also records.

Those two simlpe options give you a myriad of ways for the camera to behave to your liking.

Seems bonkers at the moment, at night, the camera can detect motion, record, and NOT turn the light on.

Note: I'm currently discussing a PIR issue with ring about my unit where its detecting motion several metres to the left/right & turning the light on, but straight ahead I can walk up within 1-2 metres and the PIR will not detect motion. Not sure if this is a faulty PIR sensor or a design issue. In this situation, the camera has detected motion so is recording, but as the PIR has not, the light is off. Of course the options described above would overcome this issue/limitation. If you detect motion and record, turn the light on!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018