1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ring Mains Cable for dedicated hi-fi ring main (not power cord ;) )

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by StooMonster, Mar 7, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I'm going to need tens of metres of ring mains cable, particularly as there is double the length in a dedicated ring versus a spur, when the electrician puts in my dedicated local hi-fi ring main.

Well there's Kimber from Russ Andrews at £15 per foot; anything else apart from 'bog standard' available?

What could I use that has good RFI cancellation properties that will not require a second mortgage to purchase?

I tried searching on Farnell but to be honest I don't even know what specification to look for; anyone know what current rating, impedance, voltage is required?

StooMonster

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can I suggest a search oiver on the Naim forums ? Lots on there about this subject. Also have a look at this link perhaps?

3. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my first house, I ran a 6mm T&E spur for the hifi, I also used unfused 13amp round pin plugs and sockets, most items are internally fused, the large plugs are easy to clean and have no protective area at the bases. Worked well and it ver burnt the house down.
    It does mean the all supply cables have to have their plugs replaced, I'd made up new ones any way.
    Matt

4. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, those MK 15A round pin jobbies are good - I used them when I had a separate spur - now moved the hifi, so will have to make do with making a chunky "extension" block with those fellas.

5. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you considered 2.5mm steel wire armour ? the steel braiding should offer some rf protection and its olny a few £ a meter

6. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,409
    Hippy,
    This stuff you mentioned, is it armoured cable? The type that you would use if you were running a power supply to say, a garage, from the house?

I really don't know too much about this kind of stuff but I assumed that steel armoured cable would've picked up more interference than normal with the steel armour acting like an RF aerial. So am I completely wrong then?

Cheers

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Shodan,

The steel armouring is connected to earth, so any noise picked up is drained down to earth.

Steel wire armoured is a bit difficult to work with indoors, so SY or CY control cable might be a better cable to use, if you want to conceal the cable and fit flush sockets.

I would put a few double sockets in, each on its own cable.

you can then keep power amps on a different cable than dvd player, preamp etc.

Mark.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    How about putting in a seperate earth spike also. If you're going to rewire for av you might as well.

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Well had the electrician round, mainly to look at installing a new 15 way MK Electric consumer unit (there are already a lot of circuits in my house); but also to look at some dedicated AV spurs.

Did some more research, and consensus seems to be that dedicated spurs are better and Russ Andrews only suggests a dedicated ring because the Kimber mains cable he sells is only rated at 10A.

Trouble is there is a Victoria patterned tiled floor in my hall, which is in between the kitchen (site of mains) and living room (site of hi-fi), and may be solid to ground with raised floors all around; and the only room that bridges the gap has a tiled floor too. The electrician needs to do the consumer unit first, and check some circuits too; then will investigate possibilities of how to run spurs without doing major damage to plaster work etc. (I have original hardwood coving and skirting that can't be damaged) or the tiled floor.

My best case solution is just getting some floor boards up and dragging wires underneath, worst case is I have to live with existing mains ring until I renovate that part of the house (in the dim and distant future) and investigate “mains filters” in the meantime.

Also asked him about dedicated Memera consumer unit for said spurs, SWA cable, and an additional earth spike; which is all cool assuming we can spur without having to call the builders in. Need some serious earth work doing anyway as the only earth is one connection to cold water mains pipe (even though there is PME from supplier) and not one piece of earth bonding anywhere.

Further trouble is that this is boom building part of the country, and like plumbers and all tradesmen, it’s going to be weeks (if not months) before the first work can be started.

StooMonster

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Can you run the cable along an outside wall?
    Or is it a terraced house in which case can you run it through next doors living room :D

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    avanzato

No, it's a detatched Victorian place that's had multiple extensions over the years.

Thanks for that, hrm... got me thinking.

Trouble is kitchen has a pantry, so is not outside wall; guess I could run cable through that. Living room has an outside wall, but running cable anti-clockwise round house would mean going chimney breasts, bay windows, and round front door steps and would be a long run anyway (40m+). Running clockwise would mean going round two extensions and would be a very long run (nearer 80m).

Don't think that will work. :(

When I have some spar time, I'll yank up some floorboards and see what I can do. Hopefully I can run the spurs myself (under the floor), and just get electrician to join them into dedicated consumer unit.

StooMonster

Edited because I keep typing Victoria instead of Victorian :clown: