Ring hue ifttt and tasker

anticlaus105

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I just bought a hue starter kit for 2 living room lamps I used to control with a wemo. I linked it to ring view ifttt. Unfortunately it seems that live view in the ring app triggers the someone at your front door event in ifttt, which is not very useful.

I also found the home away feature in the hue app doesn't function. Again not so great. I have ifttt set up now but have yet to test it.

I have been looking at using http to control the hue via tasker. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so can you offer any assistance?

Last edited:
I have never used nor come across tasker, though have a rough idea of what it is. I have however done a little direct programming of hue in C# and a project I am working on will involve doing it under node.js soon.

The hard bit to implement with hue is the initial discovery and hub authentication process depending on availability of supporting library for bits of it in the environment you are using. Of course if you know the protocols and mechanics involved, then it isn't so bad. Once that is done then control of the lights is simple.

For tasker, I should think it may be a complete pain/impossible unless someone has already done such a plugin, I which case locate and install plugin and job done.

I found the hue developer site and can access the bridge to push commands to it and create a user. In the end I couldn't be bothered so bought autohue tasker plugin for 99p. Now when I put my phone on my wireless charger for more than a few minutes at night (when going to bed) it turns my lights off. I'm also using this to turn them on when I come home after a certain time. The problem with ifttt is it can't handle multiple triggers, but turning lights off when I go out doesn't need this. Ifttt can also be quite delayed so not that great for turning lights on when I get home.

I still have the annoying issue that live viewing my ring doorbell causes them to flash like the bell has been rung. It's set up through ifttt so I don't know who to blame. Ring or ifttt?

Thanks for the syringify suggestion. I will have a look at it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom