Ring Doorbell or Camera on MiFi?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Looking for some added security to a property that is currently unoccupied. Just wondering if it's feasible to use a ring device on a MFi/4G connection? Anyone tried this & have any idea of data usage? I suppose that largely depends on the number of triggers?

Last edited:
I’m not too familiar with 4G based WiFi devices, one consideration is that if it is an on demand internet connection you’d like “suffer” significant delays regarding notifications.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I've found a few reports from Americans using Ring products on remote cabins with 4G successfully so I guess there's only one way to find out. Apart from the connectivity, the key seems to be restricting triggers to the minimum & disabling a snapshot option to limit data use. Seen two claims of 4GB & 6GB per month.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
An unlimited data card is less than £20 per month.

Only issue can be that the IP address of the connection will change with almost every notification and some systems can pick this up as a hacking attack. Just had the same problem with some banking software that won't run over a 4g router for this reason. I have to hold the connection IP by streaming a movie on another tab while staying connected to the bank!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom