Ring desktop discontinued after Oct 15th 2021

aVdub

Ex Member
Reaction score
Tried looking around one of the gazillion boards and couldn't find the dedicated Ring thread, so posting here because this board has more traffic imo that would be touched by this news.

Just had this pop-up.

Ring.jpg

Which on click leads to:

Ring

On October 15, 2021, the Ring desktop app for Windows and Mac will be discontinued. All users will be permanently logged out of the Ring - Always Home desktop app. Please note, if you use the desktop app until it is discontinued in October, the following devices and features are not supported.

• Video Doorbell Wired
  • Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2
  • Ring Video Doorbell 4
  • Video end-to-end encryption
  • Amazon account linking
  • Geofence

Way to go eh...

cant remember that last time i used the website.
having said that, i have used it to look at images on a bigger screen

Didn't even know there was a desktop app, always used mobile or website if I needed bigger images

I don't have any Ring devices but don't think desktop apps are necessary if all the required features can be catered for on a website. According to the article below, "ring.com will fill the soon-to-be-formed gap in services."

I also think websites are better as they can be accessed on any internet-capable device. Desktop apps have to be installed and require user approval for any updates.

I guess you could always use an Android emulator like BlueStacks to run the Android app on the desktop? It's what I have to do with Amazon Blink to save dicking around with the phone when I get an alert while working with the laptop. Nothing but the app to access them which is a bit pants.

LOL In all the years I never knew there was a desktop app, and never even wondered whether there is one. The point to me was that they have a good mobile app, I even rarely use their browser app.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL In all the years I never knew there was a desktop app, and never even wondered whether there is one. The point to me was that they have a good mobile app, I even rarely use their browser app.
Each to their own but I see no merit in scrambling around for another device, unlocking it & firing up an app if you could view on the device you're already using.

I have tablets on the wall around the house that can view Ring on and use the desktop to view, download and edit if need be.

Yes, to you. There are others out there that use the desktop app even if you don't.

Each to their own but I see no merit in scrambling around for another device, unlocking it & firing up an app if you could view on the device you're already using.
You can always open the browser. I never used the desktop app but wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a browser packaged anyway. Alternative you can save the web app as a desktop app if you don’t like using a separate browser.

Like most have said I never knew there was a desktop version. As an aside - I integrate my ring doorbell to the HomeKit app on my iPhone via homebridge and so if I get an alert from the doorbell it will come up on my Mac in real time (along with my phone) so can view on a larger screen if I want…but no way to view past events (as far as I know.)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom