Rigs (Morpheus Game)

Discussion in 'Playstation VR' started by Cha1ky, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,293
  2. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Really? That will be doable on Morpheus? With that many peeps and action going on in an FPS?

I thought something like that would be too ambitious for the specs of morpheus and the PS4.

3. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,012
    It doesn't look that graphically taxing.

4. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    But it looks that processor taxing. Imo. That was pretty fast paced. There would have to be NO frame rate drops because an FPS that quick with any kind of lag in view and stuff would make most people sick to their stomachs.

5. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,636
    It's a different type of game, want to see more game footage and less of the supposed VR wearing people though.

6. turk3y

turk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,035
    Looks far better than I think I thought it would but its also obviously well designed around its limitations, smooth surfaces not grass and angular objects etc. More than acceptable visuals and obviously if morpheous nails the vr experience then it will feel amazing. The fast refresh rate vr demands lends itself to this sort of fast and frantic game.

4 player tho, thats ambitious given its going to be an expensive device.

7. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,012
  8. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,293
    Hands-on: Sony's First Triple-A Competitive VR Game, 'Rigs' - Road to VR

[​IMG]
    Hands-on: Sony’s First Triple-A Competitive VR Game, ‘Rigs’

We go hands on with Project Morpheus exclusive multiplayer mech combat game byGuerilla Games Cambridge, Rigs: Mechanized Combat League. By far the best looking VR game on Morpheus right now.

Guerilla Games, the developers behind smash hit Playstation franchise Killzone, have a reputation for wringing every available pixel worth of performance from their host platform. Now, UK based sister studio Guerilla Games Cambridge have proven themselves just as capable of creating stunning looking games, this time however it’s Sony Project Morpheus that’s the benefactor of their talent.

[​IMG]

Rigs is a multiplayer mech combat game that pits you and two other teammates against a rival faction. The aim of the game? To destroy your opponents, collect dropped orbs of energy and score points by dropping through a central ‘goal’.

You’re dropped into your mech, taking control in first person while you hunt down your enemies with your choice of weapons; lasers, rockets or plasma cannons. Your robot is also equipped with the ability to power jump several stories in order to gain vertical advantage and traverse the tight and twisting map, built around the aforementioned goal atop the arena.

[​IMG]

From the moment you’re introduced to your mech, to the buildup preceding the match to your eventual cinematic entrance to the battle arena, the presentation is faultless. Visuals are sumptuously rendered with art direction to match. The robots themselves are lovingly created with attention to detail in abundance, from the functional cockpit right up to decals and machinery detail visible outside it.

The ascent into the arena is intentionally designed to amp up the tension and by the time you emerge blinking into the light you’re ready to kill.

[​IMG]

Excellent anti-aliasing, high geometry scenery and mechs really give Rigs the feeling of a triple-A experience. It’s a welcome change from the more simplistic target stylings of the majority of early Morpheus titles. It’s also rendered smoothly, with low persistence of vision allowing the screen to melt away becoming a window on the action instead. This is early code of course, and there were a couple of occasions where frame-rate faltered, but for the most part it was near flawless.

Gameplay too is a cut above, with action reminiscent of titles like Titanfall – especially in its reach for verticality. Boosting into the air before unleashing two rockets and watching them hit home against an unsuspecting enemy as you descend was wonderfully and familiarly satisfying.

[​IMG]

The control scene was interesting and it’s the only area of Rigs where I remain as yet unsold. Most of the input duty falls to the Dual Shock controller but moving your head, your primary means of aiming implements the ‘weight’ of the unit your piloting, that is there’s a slight intentional lag in your aiming. This isn’t really a problem, it just takes a little getting used to. Ultimately it sells the feeling of piloting a massive robot and adds depth to the gameplay, without more extensive playtesting it’s impossible to say for sure though.

All in all, Rigs really impressed me, and as a sign of big budget triple-A content in virtual reality on Playstation, it proves this ‘mere’ console really does have the grunt to do serious VR gaming well.

9. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,457
    Very ambitious, which is a good thing for an almost untried product. It's gonna be hard to get into a match though I expect considering the outlay for Morpheus at launch. For me immersion themed single player games are the way to go for this to begin with such as corridor FPS shooters puzzle solving games and driving games to really get the ball rolling. The new Doom game for example just looking through the helmet with the HUD would be great immersion into the game.

10. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,821
    I shouldn't think it will be difficult to find online matches, as long as it's fun to play of course.

It will be expensive, but then console owners are used to spending shed loads of money on nonsense let alone something really interesting like Morpheus so I imagine it will sell by the bucketload on launch.

It seems most if not all the other Morpheus games are more single player focused so this could have a large player base with those fancying taking it online.

11. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    I think this is one game that will never be short of enough players to have a match. It will be the game everyone shows off to their buddies to have round their place.

12. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,457
    How do you show it off when you won't let em wear it :D. My mates can buy their own and bugger off., on a serous note though VR is a hard sell cus you really need hands on first and you can't look in from the outside and say that's cool. I expect lots of Game booths with Morpheus in shop at launch or before as it's really is something you need to try first.

13. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    I don't need to try it. I'm not one for getting motion sick and I'm a sucker for technology like this.

14. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,457
    Who isn't ( not motion sick ) and really up for it. I like the fact that Sony are bringing games such as these as it shows commitment to Morpheus . Not sure it will be it's best environment though. I will need world's that I have the time to feel and get used to, Even in GTA I sometimes just stand there to take it all in . I want to have time to take in these VR world's to start with an feel no man's sky will be perfect for VR . This (that I will buy ) might be a little to much to appreciate what's going on around you

15. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,457
    You should be able to kill me easy enough cus I will be the one standing still going wow this looks great :rotfl:.

16. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    I think you'll appreciate it for what it is... virtually putting you in the place of the arena, exploding people and trying to get to the goal. I just don't think I'll pick this game up with it. If I were to play a game like this then I'd want it to feel real too, outside of dying and getting hurt. Something like having a treadmill that moves whichever direction your feet are in and you always stay centered (which is probably decades off being invented). Or like something from Pacific Rim where you are strapped in to something and it tracks your feet movement, but it would need to be a lot more fluid than that.

I think NMS will be PERFECT for Morpheus as you'll be playing it from a seated position and therefor not ruin the immersion (for me at least).

17. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,821
    FR sent :)

18. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,821
    I saw a demo using equipment just like you describe, think it was on BBC Click! Looked amazing, they had the Rift, along with a circular treadmill and a vest which reacted to bullets through powerful vibrations, now THAT was a set-up!

[EDIT] Here is the thing I was on about
    Virtuix Omni Product Design

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  19. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    If anyone was wondering if the VR games were any good .......

[​IMG]

20. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Sexy

21. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,821
    When is the review embargo being lifted for this game, anyone know?

22. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,012
    When the reviewers have stopped throwing up for long enough to write about it ;)